FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Adam Ford

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hey Much better job speaking at the City Council meeting. Excellent! You focused on a few things and stuck to them.

But I've got to ask? Since you’ve said the Mayor has required accountability of Dept heads. (That is true he has said that) And so far none have been held accountable, by the Mayor. Who do we then go to? All's you have to do is look at what people where there speaking about to see that People are not being held accountable. Especially in the Police Dept. Where an effective Ombudsman could hold those people accountable. Do you think anything is going to happen to the officer who refused to get out of his car and at the very least talk to the Grandmother of the kid that was shot at? Did you hear the whole account? The construction guy took pictures of the whole thing. He didn't even mention if they bothered to ask him for copies? The police didn't bother to do anything. And we wonder why crime is so high? The Officer/officers that showed up, should be reprimanded. But that would require someone in charge to be held accountable. THIS IS NOT BEING DONE!!! The only place left to go would be the Ombudsman office. Ms. Stone, the death of her son, She should be able to go to the Dept and talk to the officer in charge of the investigation and be treated civilly. Again it hasn't happened. Is the Police Dept being held accountable? NO. So who do we go to? Do we go to the Mayor? I've been doing that, writing him and others. And they still refuse to hold anyone accountable for not doing their job.

It is like our state Government. Bo Emerson supported the Seat Belt law because it was written into the Law "That the intent of this law is to lower insurance rates." That sounds good. Hey I'm all for lowering insurance rates. OK. When did they lower in the last 4 years? The truth! They haven't. There is nothing written into the law that requires the insurance agencies to lower rates. There is nothing written into the law that would allow for people that wear their seatbelts to get lower rates and the people who get tickets for not wearing them to pay higher rates. There has to be a way to do that or they cannot come down.

So in this situation. It's great to proclaim that "Department heads will be held accountable." But without it being enforced. What's the sense.

I just disagree with you on the Ombudsman issue. I don't even know you personally but was thrilled to see how much better you did this time speaking at the council meeting. Keep it up. You'll one day be able to do it and be completely relaxed. I Speak to people everyday as I'm in sales. Large groups and meetings are a favorite of mine. I saw last week where Dave Barber got up. That's almost how I come across in a group. But he would be a tuff act to follow.

I might also note. The gentleman that that lives over here I thought he said he lived on my street. Made a good point. If they are so hot to save money. How about voting to put a redistricting of the Wards (I'm paraphrasing) I don't see them looking to make the Council smaller, do you?
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Jerry, Must be Tony was at council, Big guy, pony tail? He had earlier left the Arlington Hgts crime watch meeting with 4 COPS in attendance. Yet grandma couldn't get a cop to get out of the car! This has been taken up with the LT.

can I borrow the tape? There are a couple people at council meetings that we need to have attend Sat. meetings at Terry's. Del Arosa is one not on internet. I have to go on a recruiting mission!
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Actually the fellow that was talking about saving money was Chris DelMarone... He lives in the Mott Park area... He always has something to offer at the Council Meetings... and he knows what he is talking about.. he attends all of them... He was right on point though with the redistricting comments... if this council is so bent on saving money.. why not get rid of two council seats... bring it to seven? You noticed though, that there were no takers.... Had I kept my seat on the Council, I wanted to do some Charter reform... but now I have to do it the hard way... petitions for a charter commission....
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Which brings me to another question. How do we petition for Charter reform. Chris had a good idea. I would like to see a smaller Council since the city is at least half the size it was in the 70's.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford

Thanks for the compliment. I get what you're hinting at about the need for an Ombudsman. I'm still learning about all the problems this city has. They run more deep than just not enough police and needing an Ombudsman. We should not need more police or an Ombudsman if people were not commiting crimes. I think people should go to Joe Conroy or the mayor before going to the Ombudsman. If I really have a serious problem I will go to the mayor but I have not felt the need to do so yet.

For the police issue I think the officer names should have been gotten and they should have been contacted. Next step would have been to talk to their sergeant or captain. Next step would be the cheif. Next step would be Joe Conroy and/or mayor. Next step could be your council person and then the city council. If this fails then perhaps we should get a militia going because I fail to see how an Ombudsman will magically solve all our problems.

What department head do you have an issue with? I think the parks department could do a little better but that's the only problem I know of. Perhaps there is a problem with the chief but I can not pinpoint anything yet. There seem to be issues deep in the police department but I am not a Flint Police officer so I don't know what they are.

I think having more police could definately help the police department. I don't think people should expect quality work from overworked, overstressed and demoralized officers. I think to begin fixing things we need to get more officers NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise you can expect more crimes to not be investigated. Half of a policeman's job is paperwork so we only have a max of 50 officers protecting over 100,000 people. Thats one officer per 2000 people but we may go down to 1 officer per 10,000 people for all I know.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:16 pm 
rapunzel

Josh, DelMarone thats is who I wanted to contact and inform of Terry's saturday meetings. He also frequented school board but didn't do our citizens email shared info. He is even headed unlike the other person I referred to. Always knows his facts. I am multi- tasking on a safe school zone intiative ect. Can you inform him of Terry's Saturday meeting?

We may need your voter turnout list also. Do you only have the 4th?
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 am 
rapunzel

Adam, so many things with the city and the school board you can only understand with time. I applaud your efforts but as I look back to five years ago and how little I understood I wonder...where did the realization and the information finally take hold? No one can tell you... it is a chain of events that will teach you. It is a process that you must go through before enlightenment. I cannot tell you to just follow the lead of those that have been down this road for 20 years. I have much to learn and am a kdg. student.

Yes, much with the police dept is paperwork. Many in the dept feel it is pointless to even write the paperwork because the perp won't even be held in jail. Then the perp goes and commits a more serious offense because he has learned the system will not even take down his name. After that he beats his girlfriend senseless but she cannot get a protection order because no report was written.Repeated assaults crimes never written down. Until someone is DEAD. Then we have a detective trying to track down a whole series of events with no dates written down. Yes, we need more officers but we also expect them to do the job they are paid for. Some do but the rest leave more holes in investigation procedures no proof will stand up in court.

Williamson refuses to pay the police what they are worth. If they had good pay we could enlist quality police. So you talk to Conroy, you talk to the Don, when you get done you can come back to the community activists. We will again tell you we need checks and balances in city government. Do your best then come back to the rest!
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:

1. They run more deep than just not enough police and needing an Ombudsman. We should not need more police or an Ombudsman if people were not committing crimes. I think people should go to Joe Conroy or the mayor before going to the Ombudsman. If I really have a serious problem I will go to the mayor but I have not felt the need to do so yet.

2. For the police issue I think the officer names should have been gotten and they should have been contacted. Next step would have been to talk to their sergeant or captain. Next step would be the chief. Next step would be Joe Conroy and/or mayor. Next step could be your council person and then the city council. If this fails then perhaps we should get a militia going because I fail to see how an Ombudsman will magically solve all our problems.

3. What department head do you have an issue with?

4. I think having more police could definately help the police department. I don't think people should expect quality work from overworked, overstressed and demoralized officers. I think to begin fixing things we need to get more officers NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise you can expect more crimes to not be investigated. Half of a policeman's job is paperwork so we only have a max of 50 officers protecting over 100,000 people. Thats one officer per 2000 people but we may go down to 1 officer per 10,000 people for all I know.

1. Well I hope you never have to. It will really open your eyes when it comes to Proclaiming Accountability in a resolution and then actually getting accountability.

2. Ombudsman is not a magical solution. It will not fix any problem. Only help to ensure fairness and justice. Justice in today’s society is an dream. The Ombudsman does (when working properly) help to bring justice back into the picture. They look into situations were the victim has been wronged by people in power. They are who you go to when the Mayor, the Police Dept have let you down. When the system is unfair. They are your last hope. You must not have ever been a victim of any crime in Flint. So you haven’t had to put up with Police that know who the criminal is that stole your car stereo, of the guns out of your house and then had them never do anything about it. Then gone to the Mayor about it and have him not do anything either. You’ve never had to call every law enforcement agency you can think of in order to get justice and never been able to get it. Had we had a real ombudsman this could eventually happen. But not under the system we’ve been living under.

3. That should be simple to figure out. The Police Dept.

4. I’d have to go back and find all the information to back this up so your can read it for yourself. But, the Safest city, lowest crime has 2000 less citizens and 100 less police officers. I believe the way our Dept is run we could have another 500 officers and still have the same crime rate. When you have officers, that won’t even get out of their cars. When called to a crime scene. It’s not the number of officers that is the problem.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:12 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oh and I forgot to mention. I kind of liked the idea of the City setting up loans, as a city buiness. I'm usually not for Government providing jobs. But, we are in such bad shape here in Flint. We need some ideas. I wouldn't mind borrowing from the City to start a small business. Get some government grant money to start it out. Then go from there.
The city in the past has given money to businesses that have ripped us off. Didn't do what they said they were going to. I've got some ideas for things I'd like to do. I just don't have the $$
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm 
Adam Ford

I think there's a lot more problems than the police department but anyways there's really no reason the officers should not have a contract.

To Rapunzel: I am learning pretty quick. I've actually been scouting Flint for years. I've had downtown scouted out for over 10 years. I was down there once again yesterday but I think I will avoid wasting my time down there. Basically if it wasn't for legal offices and non profits and governmental agencies it would be pretty much vacant. Some non profit employees seem to me like they do not even know what they do. Many seem to sit around all day and get a paycheck.

With regards to the speech just think if we'd have taken the 100 million for autowrld and done home loans to families so they could by houses and not get ripped off on rental property.

In addition I will say it again. The garage sale ordinance is asanine!!!! It is anti-business. Without businesses it's no wonder why we have so much crime. I think we should expect more crime to come to come out way with the stupid anti business policies this city has. It seems to me very hard to start a business in this city so with no new businesses more and more businesses should eventually go away.

The town that has less police probably has a lot less crime. If people had full time jobs in this town they might not go around murdering old peole.

I get a little wired up at the meetings which is why I come off as nervous. I'm actually in fight mode when I'm speaking.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Where did your figure of 100,000,000.00 come from for autoworld?
I've only been able to find mention of 80,000,000.00 but 100 doesn't seem out of the ball bark. Do you have any thing on where the moeny came from? Exactly how much or who put into the pot? How much Flint city tax dollars were wasted on it? etc. That was also another excellent point.
People that don't learn from histroy are doomed to repeat it. Flint hasn't learned.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:25 pm 
Adam Ford

It was in the Yahoo story that made front page Yahoo news for about an hour. The figure could be wrong. 100 million seemed high to me as well. I assume we must have used a bond proposal or something. Maybe some state funding came in but I have no idea. It said it was a city project though.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Great, First the IMA was built with extorted funds from GM workers. Then it was turned into a Auto Disaster then it was given to UofM Flint. It just never ceases to amaze me how government is so quick to waste and give away the tax payers money and that of other people.
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: