FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Just Say No to Flint Proposition 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

found the answer...

The Timing for a referendum on the Ombudsman office is
appropriate also because Ombudsman Jessie Binion's seven-year
contract, which by city charter can't be renewed, expires in
January. The vacancy opens a window to ask voters whether to amend
the charter to eliminate the office, which costs about $200,000 a
year.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:10 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

That's Peanuts, compared to how much the City paid to buy the less safe Tahoes over the Impalas, Peanuts compared to purchasing the Peterbilt Garbage trucks compared to buying the internationals. Seems to me that if the City of Flint feels it has the money to waste on these items. We should be giving the Ombudsman Office at leat another 500,000 to operate. Using the Council's and Mayor's budgeting practices.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

FLINT CITIZEN- By: Terry Bankert 01/26/06

Wandering about.

I attended a function last night to introduce Judge Theile and Judicial hopeful Kay Behm to a group of political leaders. Since it was informal and in a home I will skip the who what where etc...

Judge Theile has the best family law judicial temperament that I have ever seen. He’s a keeper. I met Kay Behm just for the 2nd time. I do not practice regularly in probate. She has experience. More importantly a lawyer friend who I respect advocated very persuasively , expertly and subtlety, on her behalf. Its good to have good friends.

I appear on a cable show called In my Opinion as a guest/co host most Saturdays 6 pm channel 17 on comcast. The host Ronald Berry Robinson fields questions , only some do we know ahead of time, to a panel with a diversity of backgrounds. This week we will talk about the war in Iraq.

The Flint Citizen Internet Advocacy group will meet on line on Saturday at 10 to discuss and act on promoting retention of the Flint Ombudsmans office. Log in and join in at : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/

Several will make it to my office at the same time. Ken has made some yard signs to be picked up or you can make your own. I have heard that a traditional community based pro ombudsman committee is forming. I hope they are.

Representative Gleason talked about the county park system. He is a constant advocate.

MTA's numbers in Nov. up 20 percent

GENESEE COUNTY

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION Wednesday, January 25, 2006

By Ron Fongerrfonger@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6317 http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-34/1138206130185700.xml&coll=5

[This article is written in a conversational style incorporating the article cited. Parts of the article may be deleted shown by ... but additions are only found in brackets -trb]

GENESEE COUNTY - So many people are getting on Mass Transportation Authority buses and Your Ride vans that the transit system is on a pace to have its busiest year ever.

[This is great news. MTA is the unsung hero of public administration in Genesee County. This demand may speak to our poverty?-trb]

MTA ranked sixth for rider ship increases in November in a new survey of 86 large and small U.S. transit systems, up 20 percent compared to one year ago.

"For many people, it's a decision whether they can afford the transportation - especially those who work in the service industry," said Ed Benning, MTA's assistant general manager. "We've seen a tremendous amount of (increase in) work-related transportation."

[Flint should, and probably is, work closely with the MTA to get our working poor to the better job sites!-trb]

Higher gas prices contributed to the gains, Benning said, but not all of them.

MTA's big bump in riders in November came in a month when gas prices actually eased, according to the American Public Transportation Association.

Officials said only the years when it transported students for the Flint School District - under contracts before 2002 - produced bigger passenger numbers.

"We're seeing tremendous needs for transportation throughout the county," Benning said. "It's been consistently growing."

In areas of the county where MTA doesn't operate buses, riders can take Your Ride cars and vans to get to work within the county.

Debbie Wilson of Swartz Creek has been using the service for 11 years to get to her job as a rehabilitation counselor for the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

Wilson is legally blind and counts on her $1 rides to get to work. It's a good deal, she said, considering parking alone could cost her $5 daily if she drove her own car.

"I have a really good driver. He's dependable and ... he gets me to work on time," Wilson said. "He cares if they get me here on time."

National transit rider ship grew 3.3 percent in the third quarter of 2005 compared to the same period one year before, according to the APTA.

The group's survey of transit systems' rider ship in November alone included bus, rail and subway systems, and put MTA in the spotlight. Like MTA, other systems in the survey showed rider ship increases continued in November even though gas prices dropped that month.

[There are many positive thing happening in Genesee County and Flint MI USA the MTA is one of them.-trb]

The Flint Citizen is a publication of Attorney Terry R. Bankert (Family Law, divorce ) of Flint Michigan USA.

Weekly blog:

http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/

e- legal advice at:

attorneybankert@yahoo.com

Posting regularly on Flint Talk

http://www.flinttalk.com/

Moderator of Child_neglect_abuse . Parents in child neglect or divorce proceedings

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/child_neglect_abuse/

Moderator of Flint Citizen Internet Internet Advocacy (FCIA)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/

vita

http://enewsblog.com/terrybankert/post/2005-11-08_04:52:35/

Terry R. Bankert P.C., 1000 Beach St., Flint MI USA 48503 810.235.1970 fax 234-5080
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: