FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint's poor will get poorer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Income Inequality Greatly Exacerbated By U.S.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/income-inequality-tax...

18 hours ago ... Income for the country's top 1 percent has soared by 275 percent over the past 30 years, while growth for the rest of us has stagnated. A new ...

US Income Inequality - Huffington

www.huffingtonpost.com/news/us-income-inequality

Income inequality is increasing nationwide and new data from the Census Bureau shows which states have it worst. Maine, West Virginia and California a.

Bill de Blasio: Bridging NYC's Income

www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-de-blasio/bridging-nycs-inc...

5 days ago ... CEO pay averages an annual salary of $9.7 million -- 354 times what the average worker earns. There are even restaurants that offer diners ...

Shocker: Income Inequality Gets Worse When

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/income-inequality-stu...

May 28, 2013 ... The rich just keep getting richer -- not only by gobbling up more income, but also by paying less in taxes. That means less support for the poor, ...

Income Growth For Bottom 90 Percent Of

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/income-growth-america...

Mar 25, 2013 ... While income inequality may be great for those reaping the big bucks
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Income Inequality May Be The New Normal,

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/22/income-inequality-stu...

Mar 22, 2013 ... The study, released Thursday by the Brookings Institution, found that the spike in U.S. income inequality between 1987 and 2009 was mostly ...

Al Gore: Worsening Income Inequality -

www.huffingtonpost.com/al-gore/income-inequality_b_2852...

Mar 11, 2013 ... The level of inequality in the U.S. is already worse than in Egypt or Tunisia, two nations rocked in recent years by popular
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"Suzanne the plans thy made put an end to you." As I watch what is happening in Flint I remember these words of James Sweet Baby Taylor in one of his first songs. just released from a mental hospital, the song tells how the recovery plans administrators made for a friend caused her to commit suicide.

The administration just published in the Journal (June 14,2013, C7) the notice of intent to request the release of funds in the amount of additional CDBG funds necessary to complete the Smith Village Project. The amount is $11,561,857 and is for the completion of the infrastructure in the area.

The original amount slated for this project was $16 million and was CDBG-R money (Recovery). Although the posting dos not specify recovery money, it must be as that is how the rest of the posting is written.

HUD is supposed to provide better housing for the poor. This project, under the current administration, was never geared towards the very poor, and in fact it basically excludes them.

Under former City Administrator, Greg Eason, an attempt was made to recruit homeowners from the Flint Housing. There the rent is equal to 30 % or less of their income. As a homeowner, despite the great financial incentives to buy, the majority felt these homes were outside of their capacity to finance. Taxes, including these ever rising "special" fees for lighting and trash, plus the increased water bills put these homes out of the reach for the very low income and most moderate income.

Does anyone remember the fiasco that evolved from the 1960's HUD 235 program. The message should be that you can't place a person, who has never owned or maintained a home, in a new home for a very low down payment when they don't even have lawnmowers or equipment to maintain that home.

The policies of the city is penalizing the very poor. I pulled up the taxes on some homes in a low income census tract in the 5th ward. This person always paid their taxes until this year. A home is the primary measure of wealth for many citizens. This home has lost so much value, there is no wealth. The crime in the area renders the home almost useless to place on the market.

This particular home had $197 in taxes and $213 in special fees. Granted they would have had a millage for garbage already, but not more than the original taxes.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thanks LBJ and you liberal do-gooders you asked for it you got it. "Great society", "235" what a dumbass idea. That whole scheme and the end result has nothing to do with those who are successful in life but everything to do with the entitlement mentality like that on display here.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343377/I-dont-care-Hidden-camera-catches-wireless-company-employees-passing-Obama-phones-people-say-theyll-sell-drugs-shoes-handbags-spending-cash.html

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

HUD is known for their bad decisions. They literally forced the city to take on projects they were unable to manage. The biggest example is the apartment units on Stevenson, just south of Flushing Rod. When owner abandoned them with a significant federal loan, HUD wanted Flint to maintain them. They were more suited for Flint Housing and the City of Flint under several administrations could never manage them.

I remember many years ago when the City of Clio was in financial difficulty. The state auditors pointed to the city ownership of a small mall and pointed out the role of the city was not as a business owner.

The Government had the same restrictions on this apartment complex as they did Flint Housing. There had to be a mechanism to help the poor climb out of poverty and money had to be allocated for educational opportunities for the children and the adults. HUD even demanded the renovation of the apartments.

Today the apartments sit as a blighted reminder that city governments are to govern and not enter into business. An attempt to transfer the onerous responsibilities of this complex onto a non-profit also failed and HUD stated the transfer violated the agreement signed by prior administrations. Revenues were already declining and the complex required huge sums of money to meet the demands of the agreement. This failure represents a HUD failure.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Look at Flint and the result of the recent policies. The apartment buildings on Lapeer near the Perani rink are abandoned as are the ones in the 1700 block of Pierson and those on Carpenter across from Northwestern. Where have these people gone and why did they leave? The units on the north end were victimized by criminal acts.

Many of the lower income have left for the suburbs and other cities. I was in a meeting n the north side when a resident complained about the age and cost of maintaining the older housing stock on the north side. He said that rentals abounded in the Bradley Hills area.

That is the issue. The are between Court and Sunset, and Ballenger east to the Kettering area had been a stable neighborhood with many professional people. Unable to sell, some homes became rentals. Not all rentals are bad, but renters usually lack the concern about the well being of the overall community. Since many home owners moved out, this area has become the target of drug raids in the Court and Mansfield area and many robberies along Sunset and Bradley. One dope house has been raided three ties and not padlocked.

The poor homeowners stuck in their homes, unable to sell and relocate, just keep getting poorer. The city keeps raising he cost of living and is outpacing incomes.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There is a new form of genocide developing. Kids who worked in fast food restaurants while in high school are returning to their old jobs on summer break only to find they can only work a maximum of 29 hours. These kids may already have health care, but the employer can't discriminate and the employer does not want to provide health benefits. This means there are fewer full time employees, employees who must now seek a second job.

Women are being dropped from welfare plans and seeking work while competing for jobs against returning veterans, unemployed youth and those who lost their jobs to the economy. With employers only offering 25 to 29 hours per week and no help with child care, what will happen to these families. Few of these jobseekers will be able to secure a job that will support them or family.

Lowes, Home Depot and Sam's Club have all cut their hours. I saw an employee that I recognized from another section of Sam's performing a food demonstration. I asked them what happened. The response was they were being allowed to do the demonstrations to help compensate for the loss of hours when their hours were cut. I always noticed this person because they were such a hard working employee and were always willing to help out in other departments.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint needs more revenue. But home values are dropping again and that means less revenue coming in. The city is attempting to make up their losses on the backs of those least able to pay. Seniors, who have never had to ask for help before, are reaching out to social service agencies for help paying their water bills. They don't qualify for help with the city if they have any income from investments, income they need to survive.

And the city continues to deteriorate. I drove north on Dupont Street and it was like a comedy show as the drivers were ducking and dodging the improperly filled utility cuts. Same thing on Ballenger, a street that was resurfaced less than 10 years ago. I was on the east side and several times had to come to a screeching halt when I encountered raw gravel filled utility cuts that were washed out and at least 4 feet by 12 feet. I mentioned before an area on Sonny Street that was nearly impassable because of the huge pot holes that encompassed an entire intersection. Not the safest place to maneuver through if you know anything about Merrill Hood.

But Kurtz wants us to believe our roads are better than the county!
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

You want to change peoples lot in life? 7 out of 10 black babies born out of wedlock, 5 out of 10 Hispanics and 3 out of 10 for whites. change the mind set that there are free rides, welfare, housing, ebt cards etc. Get the fathers back in the homes not as boyfriends living on the government tit and hold the parents responsible for the attendance of their bastards at school. Maybe Ohbummer can ask his buddy "Pimp with the Limp" for advice. Blacks are doing it to them selves but who are their heroes? How about Lil Wayne?

Pan8
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There are many hard working poor, black, Hispanic and white, who sacrifice in an attempt to be responsible citizens. Many of them bought their homes on land contracts or paid their homes off before they retired. Because they bought older homes they have more maintenance issues and some homes are poorly insulated.

The elderly are especially vulnerable because their pensions were smaller and some only receive social security. They don't know how to reach out to agencies that can assist them. They worry a great deal about how they can continue to afford these increases on their fixed income. Even middle class retirees are worried about the rising costs of everything and the impact on their futures.

Yes there are the scam artists and I saw many of them when I did social work. However, I also met many wonderful people who were just trying to work hard and get by. There were women of all social classes who left abusive men, families having a family member experiencing a life threatening crisis, death of a wage earning member of the family and other issues. I saw white women whose husbands were doctors and lawyers and these husbands left and literally screwed their families by manipulating the assets when they abandoned their families. Race and poverty level are not the only determining factors about who needs help.

I remember when blacks could not live on the east side. A black woman and her teenage son moved into one of two apartment buildings on Davison Rd. near Lewis. The bikers from the next building totally trashed her apartment and she fled, fearing to even go back for her purse. She had to sty in the women's shelter for a specified time before she could receive emergency assistance, but her son could not stay with her. When her son refused to obey the rules of the friend who let the boy stay with them and started acting out, the mother left the shelter.
She was a good mother in a difficult situation.

I remember a young black couple who both lost their jobs because their child had sickle cell anemia and they had to take a lot of time off work. They were destitute, but they were determined to save their child.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Income Inequality May Be The New Normal, Study Finds

The Huffington Post | By Bonnie Kavoussi Posted: 03/22/2013 1:01 pm EDT | Updated: 03/22/2013 1:08 pm EDT

Income Inequality Permanent

If you're poor, you have a smaller chance of getting rich now than in the 1980s, a new study suggests.

The study, released Thursday by the Brookings Institution, found that the spike in U.S. income inequality between 1987 and 2009 was mostly due to long-lasting changes in household incomes. It also found that the earnings gap widened between American men as they got older.

"It's not that the rich will stay rich and the poor will stay poor, but that they are relatively less likely to switch positions than they were before," Bradley Heim, a co-author of the paper and an economics professor at Indiana University, wrote in an email to The Huffington Post on Friday.

Income inequality in the U.S. has skyrocketed over the past few decades, and this study suggests that this recent increase is not going away soon. The incomes of the top 1 percent of households by income spiked 241 percent between 1979 and 2007, while the incomes of the middle fifth grew just 19 percent, when adjusted for inflation, according to the Economic Policy Institute. The U.S. has more income inequality than most advanced countries.

Raising taxes on the rich, as President Barack Obama has done, may not help much on its own either. The Brookings study found that the federal tax system, which taxes the rich more than the poor, reduced income inequality only modestly during the time period studied.

The study's authors -- economists at the Federal Reserve, Treasury Department, Middle Tennessee State University and Indiana University -- analyzed U.S. tax returns from 33,859 tax filers by dividing income into two categories: transitory and permanent.

Getting furloughed -- that is, forced to take unpaid time off -- for a couple of days in a single year would constitute a transitory income change, while getting a pay raise would constitute a permanent income change, Heim said. The study found that most of the recent increase in income inequality is due to "permanent" income changes.

But the study is not implying that anyone is condemned to poverty if they're poor.

"When we try to decompose inequality into these two parts, we get widely varying answers on how much is due to the permanent component, ranging from 36% to 87%," Heim wrote to HuffPost. "To be able to say that the poor are likely to stay poor and the rich are likely to stay rich, we'd need consistent results that income inequality is primarily due to the permanent component, and we don't find that."

I can think of only two ways to reduce income inequality once it has grown to the level it is at. One is involuntary and the other relies on generosity proven not to exist any longer. After WWII we saw the great expansion of the middle class. It was based on millions of high wage jobs in manufacturing and building things. Innovation was the key and we expanded everything, our confidence was without Read More...

11:02 AM on 03/25/2013
The "new normal" is inimical to the middle class, the foundation of democracy.

"[The Congressional Budget Office ] found that, between 1979 and 2007, income of the top 1 percent of households grew 275 percent. The next 19 percent of households grew about a quarter of that and, of course, the bottom half of Americans saw very little income growth."

http://napoleonlive.info/did-you-know/facts-about-the-one-percent-2/

People are more important than profits. Families are more important than market share.

http://napoleonlive.info/economics/middle-class-facts/
Favorite (0) Flag as Abusive

4 PM on 03/24/2013
From "How Swedes and Norwegians Broke the Power of the `1 Percent' | NationofChange"...

"While many of us are working to ensure that the Occupy movement will have a lasting impact, it’s worthwhile to consider other countries where masses of people succeeded in nonviolently bringing about a high degree of democracy and economic justice. Sweden and Norway, for example, both experienced a major power shift in the 1930s after prolonged nonviolent struggle. They “fired” the top 1 percent of people who set the direction for society and created the basis for something different.

Both countries had a history of horrendous poverty. When the 1 percent was in charge, hundreds of thousands of people emigrated to avoid starvation. Under the leadership of the working class, however, both countries built robust and successful economies that nearly eliminated poverty, expanded free university education, abolished slums, provided excellent health care available to all as a matter of right and created a system of full employment. Unlike the Norwegians, the Swedes didn’t find oil, but that didn’t stop them from building what the latest CIA World Factbook calls “an enviable standard of living....”

Thanks to aligatorhardt for posting this link.

04:41 PM on 03/24/2013
The link:

http://www.nationofchange.org/how-swedes-and-norwegians-broke-power-1-percent-1327762223
How Swedes and Norwegians Broke the Power of the `1 Percent' | NationofChange

10:29 AM on 03/24/2013
Trickle down economics has worked!! When you encourage investment you expand the economy, just look at what it has done for China and Wall street. Not all investment produces jobs in the US, and that is the heart of the problem. The tax advantage to invest in china is the same as the US and China is less costly, so higher profits. The tax advantage to "speculate" in real estate and the market, including derivatives, is the same as building a manufacturing plant that produces jobs. How many middle class jobs does buying and selling mortgages produce?

It is time to stop the tax advantage for investment that does not produce jobs. All of us that don't have these tax advantages are subsidizing this activity. I don't mind subsiding the building of a manufacturing plant in the US, or an activity that creates good paying jobs. I do object to subsiding people like Citibank and JP Morgan Chase.

03/24/2013
It's called "Trickle Down Economics"

Some of our greediest neighbors, and the politicians they bought, aren't gonna be satisfied until 99% of us are "pee-ons".

07:36 AM on 03/24/2013
Start mailing checks to low income households for $5000 to jump start the economy as long as it is not spent on drugs or at casinos or taken out of the USA it will benefit everyone.

The poor were lied to again when they believed the teachers union slogan "education is the answer." What will ever come of these people with all their useless degrees, huge debt and unemployable status? They have no one to blame but those who told them that "education is the answer."

It's time to redistribute the wealth.The wealthy have no where to go where they can enjoy the freedoms and protections living in America gives them. Too many old people have too much money. It needs to be taken from them as they have no real use for it.

11:13 AM on 03/24/2013
Education is the answer, and what you describe is not the norm. Study after study has proven that higher education increases your income tremendously.

12:08 PM on 03/24/2013
If there are jobs available...

From Manufacturing & Technology News, Volume 19, Number 19, December 18, 2012...

"Many Newly Minted Ph.D. Scientists And Engineers Can't Find A Job"
Favorite (1) Flag as Abusive

06:03 AM on 03/24/2013
"Raising taxes on the rich...may not help much on its own either." Nonsesense. Income inequality is extremely bad today — the worst since 1929 — precisely BECAUSE of GOP-led tax policies over the past thirty years that reduced dramatically the highest marginal tax rates on the wealthiest Americans and expanded tax deductions, credits, and other legitimate means for high-end individuals and corporations to avoid taxes.
2:51 PM on 03/24/2013
Why should the rich pay a penny more? They already pay a disproportionate percentage of the overall federal income taxes collected. Why a penny more?

If anything, the poor need to change their behavior. No more living obese, ignorant, entertainment obsessed. No more popping out kids as a teen, or in one's 20s, long before 'you' have an actual skill. This entire lifestyle, of the poor, has to be altered, immediately.

03:00 PM on 03/24/2013
The rich should pay more because while they pay a higher percentage of TOTAL income taxes, they do not pay a sufficiently high percentage of their own INCOME in taxes, and this leads to greater income disparity. The latter cannot be ignored because, as Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz has pointed out, high income equality – as we are experiencing today following nearly three decades of GOP-led tax policies that effectively have redistributed income and wealth from the middle and lower classes to the upper class – makes the overall economy function less efficiently, hurting everyone, including the wealthy. The following video discussing the L-curve describes just how badly disparity of income has become in this country:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFMQtwIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwoIkIph5xcU&ei=rUdPUZ2pHoq49gTfs4CoDQ&usg=AFQjCNH4eo8dojOhW2WjVc2jB52EXGcC2w&sig2=HtOn7tnT7NnUuAHYJu-xfQ&bvm=bv.44158598,d.eWU

As for changing the behavior of the poor, that cannot be accomplished by demonizing them and making it even more difficult for them to lift themselves out of poverty. Your cartoonish description of the poor betrays the ignorance of someone who has never experienced real poverty personally or worked closely with those that have. Before you start opining on what you believe to be the typical characteristics of the poor, perhaps you should consider volunteering in a soup kitchen or a food bank where you can get a little first-hand knowledge of what needy people really face.

12:53 AM on 03/24/2013
From "Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs - NYTimes.com"...

"...At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States to be less mobile than comparable nations. A project led by Markus Jantti, an economist at a Swedish university, found that 42 percent of American men raised in the bottom fifth of incomes stay there as adults. That shows a level of persistent disadvantage much higher than in Denmark (25 percent) and Britain (30 percent) — a country famous for its class constraints.

Meanwhile, just 8 percent of American men at the bottom rose to the top fifth. That compares with 12 percent of the British and 14 percent of the Danes.

Despite frequent references to the United States as a classless society, about 62 percent of Americans (male and female) raised in the top fifth of incomes stay in the top two-fifths, according to research by the Economic Mobility Project of the Pew Charitable Trusts. Similarly, 65 percent born in the bottom fifth stay in the bottom two-fifths.

By emphasizing the influence of family background, the studies not only challenge American identity but speak to the debate about inequality. While liberals often complain that the United States has unusually large income gaps, many conservatives have argued that the system is fair because mobility is especially high, too: everyone can climb the ladder. Now the evidence suggests that America is not only less equal, but also less mobile..."

10:20 AM on 03/24/2013
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
Franklin D. Roosevelt .

10:21 PM on 03/23/2013
I can think of only two ways to reduce income inequality once it has grown to the level it is at. One is involuntary and the other relies on generosity proven not to exist any longer. After WWII we saw the great expansion of the middle class. It was based on millions of high wage jobs in manufacturing and building things. Innovation was the key and we expanded everything, our confidence was without boundary. We paid people well enough for them to buy homes, send kids to college, and take vacations, remember? The billionaires of today were building their empires and they understood the importance of the American consumer to their fortunes. People had homes and cars, they had incomes that allowed them to have credit and still a few dollars that they could save. CEO's earned just 10 or 20 times the pay of one of their average workers because everyone was paid well. There was competition between companies for the best most productive workers, unions negotiated prosperous wages and important benefits and were able to do so because the labor market was limited to America for American goods. Times were good and no one was picking on rich folks much, most were looked on as role models. That was the generosity model. This is the model Republicans totally rely on for their economic theories. Be nice to the wealthy and powerful and they will in turn "do the right thing" and reward those who work hard and earn it. Lots of stuff has happened since then.... Global economics raised it's profile and presented an opportunity for companies and corporations to make more money than their wildest dreams. Someone figured out that saving money was as profitable on a ledger as making money, they figured out that "downsizing" was an effect way to show a profit to their shareholders while not actually expanding their business. Someone else figured out how to make gambling on Wall St. much more profitable than actually investing in property and hardware. Eventually this resulted in pulling yet another rug out from under the middle class, the value of their homes.. The other way to correct income inequality is by government regulation but this could become just another temporary solution. If the government regulated wages more than it does now not only would that make us very uncomfortable but it would likely slow the economy as much if not more than greed is doing now. It might be the only way left to correct things though as waiting for the rich to become generous and patriotic again without some motivation is foolish at best.

12:52 PM on 03/24/2013
Your nostalgia is a bit warped - that period after ww2 only rewarded white men. Everyone else had it tough. It was a racist, sexist, homophobic era, and should not be painted as glorious. Be careful.

11:17 PM on 03/24/2013
It was, however unfairly in a politically correct context.... Prosperous for most of America. Now there is struggle for all without much regard to ethnicity. Now the divide is between classes, not prejudices. You missed the point altogether, I wasn't reminiscing on a more perfect life, nor was I commenting on racial justice or marriage equality. I was commenting on a better time economically. The point was investment that can be shared by all makes for a less extreme gap in wealth. That was then and this is now, the economic model was a good one. There is no reason it cannot be made more inclusive.... BTW, if your going to appoint yourself a spokesman defender for one group or another you should learn more about history. the struggle for civil rights began well before WWII. Some of the most important advances occurred during and immediately after the war. In the post war era whites were in fact not the only ones who were gaining strong leaders and influential individual. Nearly every great African American civil rights leader and hero was either of the greatest generation or an immediate child of it. Starting with Dr. King and the Kennedy's right on down to many who started companies and opened the first doors to business.... Warped? Your paranoia and sense of history is what is perhaps a bit skewed.

11:15 AM on 03/24/2013
No one is saying there shouldnt be a rich and a poor. But what is pathetic is the extraction of wealth to the rich from the poor members of society. Gutting unions, cutting wages are all disastrous for the poor and middle class.

11:19 AM on 03/24/2013
Just what is the poor giving to the rich?

08:14 PM on 03/23/2013
The stigma of being poor is bad enough without anything to hope for its a tragedy
Favorite (3) Flag as Abusive

07:39 PM on 03/23/2013
The sadness in that there is enough in the world for all, people can only spend so much and many have absurd amounts of money and do see others with nothing. I'm not talking communism I'm only talking empathy. BONO of U2 talks about the poor and how we should all share so why do so many 'rich' find tax avoidance.

Yes its harder to build an economy up but how quickly it can spiral downward - without jobs, limited self-esteem, limited dignity leading to without equality it mean humiliation for mant

12:53 PM on 03/24/2013
Yet Bono avoids taxes. Why? If he's so concerned about the poor, why engage in so many tax evasion schemes?

07:11 PM on 03/23/2013
Can someone tell me an implementable (that's an important word) plan to reduce income inequality?

11:17 PM on 03/23/2013
Raise the minimum wage. Change the trade policy to bring jobs back to America. Stop the gigantic loopholes only the very rich and mega multi-national corporations can take advantage of. Stop offshoring, outsourcing and visas allowing foreign workers to be brought here to be paid less than Americans. Enforce anti trust laws to break up the monopolies. THere are many more things that could be done and were done before Reagan took over.

11:54 PM on 03/23/2013
And how will you implement these ideas uniformly, throughout the world? (or were you just talking about inequality in the US?)

12:56 PM on 03/24/2013
Raising the minimum wage is not fair - people need to accept their market wage...that's all they're worth.

There is no 'bringing jobs back'. Those jobs are gone, and no one nation owns them. There is global competition...the only thing the US could do is compete better, which means lower cost labor, better regulatory environments, and more incentives for Capital.

And, loopholes can be cut, but we also have to bring down tax rates. And, who will vote for cutting the mortgage deduction loophole? That's the key...to eliminate that. Housing prices are totally skewed because of this loophole.

We need H1b visas, and we need more student visas. The US is better served if the best and brightest on the globe emigrate to its shores. More talent equals more productivity.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Fareed Zakaria

What we're reading:

High-income kids who don't graduate from college are 2.5 times more likely to end up rich than low-income kids who do get a degree, notes Matthew O’Brien in The Atlantic.

“It's a totally different game for high-achieving, low-income students, because nobody tells them how to play it. Aside from magnate school kids, they mostly don't have parents or teachers or counselors with much experience applying to selective colleges. Nor do many know, despite the best efforts of the schools to inform them otherwise, that the most selective colleges have very generous financial aid packages that can take tuition all the way down to zero. Indeed, Harvard is pretty much free, including room and board, for students whose parents make $65,000 or less.”

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/18/what-were-reading-53/
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
There is a new form of genocide developing. Kids who worked in fast food restaurants while in high school are returning to their old jobs on summer break only to find they can only work a maximum of 29 hours. These kids may already have health care, but the employer can't discriminate and the employer does not want to provide health benefits. This means there are fewer full time employees, employees who must now seek a second job.

Women are being dropped from welfare plans and seeking work while competing for jobs against returning veterans, unemployed youth and those who lost their jobs to the economy. With employers only offering 25 to 29 hours per week and no help with child care, what will happen to these families. Few of these jobseekers will be able to secure a job that will support them or family.

Lowes, Home Depot and Sam's Club have all cut their hours. I saw an employee that I recognized from another section of Sam's performing a food demonstration. I asked them what happened. The response was they were being allowed to do the demonstrations to help compensate for the loss of hours when their hours were cut. I always noticed this person because they were such a hard working employee and were always willing to help out in other departments.

Webs, it will only get worse for these people with up to 30 million of your presidents illegals showing up under cutting wages.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Corporations have shown record profits.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

And the poor get a free ride on welfare. Middle class, working class you ask? They get screwed and taxed to death.

Pan8
Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: