FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mike Brown as Emergency Financial Manager

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Relaible sources have announced that Michael Brown will be back, only this time as the Emergency Financial Manager. Tiffany Flynn also stated it would be Mike Brown on Facebook. Announcement today and to take effect December 1st.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Former Acting Mayor Michael Brown named Flint's emergency manager

Published: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 2:00 PM Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 2:18 PM

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

View full sizeFLINT JOURNAL | FILE PHOTOMichael Brown
FLINT, Michigan — Michael Brown, Flint's former temporary mayor, has been appointed by the governor as Flint's new emergency manager.

The appointment was announced this afternoon and is effective Thursday, according to Gov. Rick Snyder's office.

As emergency manager, Brown will have wide-ranging authority to make cuts, impose fees or make other changes to overhaul city government after a state review panel found the city in a financial emergency.

"Michael Brown has a strong track record of serving the Flint-area community,” Snyder said in a statement. “Given his experience in public, private, and non-profit settings, I’m confident he is well-equipped to take on this critical post."

Brown is currently president of the Prima Civitas Foundation and director of the Flint Area Reinvestment Office, which he established in 2009.

As emergency manager, Brown will make $170,000, according to his contract, which he signed and dated Monday.

Brown served as acting Flint mayor for six months after ex-Mayor Don Williamson resigned in February 2009. Brown served until Flint Mayor Dayne Walling was first elected in August of that year.

Brown, who was born and raised in Flint, said he wants to return the city to local control as quickly and efficiently as possible.

"I believe we can work together to resolve Flint’s financial emergency," Brown said. "This is my hometown, so this is a personal task."

As emergency manager, Brown said he will also appoint an advisory committee to assist him, which will include an elected city official, a representative of the business community, a Flint resident and "up to two persons with relevant professional skills" to assist him.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:50 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Lets see...... Stanley, Curtis, Delrico & a couple city union people say he's great. Walling's looking forward to working with him.

Good choice, or not?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Dave, I did not say Michael Brown was great. I said we had a decent working relationship the last time he was here. I believe he is reasonable, which is all we can ask for under the circumstances. The part that bugs me the most is Brown's connections with the Mott Foundation and Uptown Development. These are the same yahoos that have been taking care of their demigod Walling. This probably means that Brown will figure out a way to make sure Walling keeps getting paid along with Brown's 170K salary. I guess we'll all see how it goes. By the way.....Brown's 1st day is also my 1st day.......of retirement. Good luck to all the city employees.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bossman-Don't blame you for retiring
Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:14 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Have a good retirement, Bossman. While I hope Brown is the right person for the job, I'd rather have seen someone without all his Flint connections get the job.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

He bossman have a great retirement. If you need any hints on how to do it give me hollar as I am a pro. Very Happy

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Bossman, how timely your retirement! Brown can appoint you to assist him. If he doesn't, enjoy your retirement!

From the Journal article: "As emergency manager, Brown said he will also appoint an advisory committee to assist him, which will include an elected city official, a representative of the business community, a Flint resident and "up to two persons with relevant professional skills" to assist him."
Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:46 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Mlive posters are saying Mike Brown asked for resignation letters from Dayne's appointees today.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/11/emergency_manager_michael_brow_1.html

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Thats a standard political move. Now lets see how many of these incompetent people he hires right back. Remember these people are the ones that got us in the mess we are in today.

Last edited by JCARPENTER on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Interview with Mike Brown
Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Word is Sekar Bawa is retiring from the Finance Dept. A quiet but capable man, he and former deputy Dave Cramer were a great source of institutional knowledge.

Brown is said to be hiring Jerry Ambrose as the new Finance Director'

While Tracy Atkinson has been the Acting DCED Director, the new Director is said to be Emil Winnicker.

The question on everyones mind is why is Tracy Atkinson still here after she screwed up the Department of Energy Grant. A surprised north end resident says she was paying her water bill and was upset to see Brown with his arm arpund Atkinson entering the elevator. Innocent gesture or more?

Also residents are angry that Brown is keeping City Attorney Bade and Police Chief Lock. Nothing but the same old nonsense.

Under Collier, Brown was first the director of governmental relations and later the director oc Community and Economic Development. Some who worked with him then were not impressed.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Why would these two men want to come here?

Ambrose is Director of Finance in lansing and Winnicker works with the Michigan Department of labor and Economic Growth.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I hear Gary Bates is returning, this time as personnel director.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint police chief, city attorney to stay under emergency manager Michael Brown

Published: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 5:09 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 5:09 PM

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Emergency manager Michael Brown has yet to publicly name any new staff members he plans to bring on as part of his team at City Hall, but said he'll be keeping at least two members of the current administration.

Police Chief Alvern Lock and City Attorney Peter Bade will stay on under his tenure as emergency manager, Brown said today.

Brown hired Lock in 2009 during his six months as temporary mayor.

"I have great respect for Chief Lock," Brown said.

Brown also has asked Gary Bates, a former city personnel director, to work in the city's human resources department for an interim period of 90 days, he said.

As for the rest of his team, Brown said he can't name any names yet.

"I haven’t signed anybody to a contract yet so I don’t want to throw a name out there," he said. "Whatever I choose to do has to be approved by the state treasurer before I put any names out there."

Brown said he hopes to be able to make those personnel announcements next week.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:16 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: