FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint's illegal drag racing-can it be stopped?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Weyi is the only news station I have seen that addressed the issue of the Burton youth struck by a car at an illegal drag race in Flint. Other media kind of left the issue up in the air.

This is a special issue for flint councilman BB Nolden, who has been trying to stop the racing for well over a year. Will he get more support with this injury?

Should father be charged for taking child to illegal drag race?
Posted: 05.08.2011 at 11:11 PM

Stay updated:

FLINT -- By Jenna Lyons

Illegal drag racing is a common problem here in Flint, and now police say a local boy is suffering the consequences of this dangerous activity.

Police tell NBC25 the boy's father brought him there to watch late night illegal street races that commonly take place in the area.

Police say a hit and run driver struck a 13-year-old Burton boy near James P. Cole and E. Stewart Street early Saturday morning. Witnesses described the vehicle that hit him as he crossed the road as a 1990's model silver or gray Grand Am or Grand Prix.

The young boy involved in the accident was brought to Hurley Medical Center in Flint where he underwent surgery to repair injuries to his leg. At last check police say doctors listed the boy in serious condition.

Videos on Youtube show races on the very same road that the accident took place.

The only evidence in the daylight of the dangerous nights on James P. Cole Road is the burned rubber tracks staining the pavement.

Members of the Flint community are split in their opinions of drag racing. While some believe it causes nothing but harm, others think it keeps people out of trouble by giving them something to do at night.

Flint resident Antrawan Johnson has been attending street races in the area for years and says the activity is a benefit to the Flint community.

"It's taking away from criminal activities. All races, multi-races, blacks, whites, Mexicans, its helping us. The only thing I would say is organize it a little more," says Johnson.

Johnson says drag racing in Flint will continue on regardless of the law.

"This has been a part of history. Flint city, Buick city. Don't try to stop it, help it," says Johnson.

However, the accident that took place Saturday morning may point to greater issues of basic safety.

Flint resident Rayshawn Southall has attended many races and says he has watched both children and adults put themselves in harms way.

"It's dangerous. People get to drinking, and then they drive real fast. Certain kids out there shouldn't even be out that late."

Southall says he hopes nobody else gets hurt, and people realize this tradition needs to end.

Related Links

Search continues for driver who hit child at drag race
Post Mon May 09, 2011 4:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Search continues for driver who hit child at drag race
by Kim Russell
Posted: 05.08.2011 at 1:43 AM
savesendprint
Kim Russell
Kim Russell is a news anchor and reporter with NBC25.

Flint Police tell NBC25 they are searching for the driver who hit a 13-year-old child during a possible drag race.

The accident happened around 1:00 a.m. Saturday near James P. Cole Boulevard and East Stewart Avenue. It is an area where police say they have busted drag racers before.

At last check police say Hurley Medical Center doctors listed the boy in serious condition.

Witnesses tell police the vehicle that hit him was a silver or gray Pontiac Grand Am or Grand Prix. It appeared to be a model from the 1990s. Police are asking the public to watch out for cars matching that description with front end damage.

Tips can be called in to the Flint Police Department at 810-237-6800.

Related Links

Child’s injury revs up debate- Is street racing a Flint tradition that should be protected?

savesendprint | | more
Post Mon May 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
wxflint
F L I N T O I D

Needs to be organized opening a drag strip in flint has been brought up by many of my friends most willing to pay for it and gets turned down every time. The reason why they say it will bring more crime to the city. Lmao flint supports nothing brought to the table.

Mid-Michigan Live Weather
Post Tue May 10, 2011 12:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

More crime Rolling Eyes ya right those darn drag racers are hiphoppin gangstas to the core. The real draw back to a drag strip is of course the funds to build one maintain it and pay the liability insurance plus the fact the short season Mi is blessed with. I used to race at Lapeer dragway which is not that far from Flint and a lot less likely to get your ride carjacked.

Post Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: