FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Fire Department catching hell
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Taylor & Avenue A, 2, possibly 3 houses burning, at least one occupied, possible entrapment. Battalion calling for mutual aid even before they arrived. Hearing calls about power lines down & pole burning. Mt. Morris FD also at scene.

Just heard - PD says they have possible arsonist in car & heading downtown.

Also - Downed wires at house #3 endangering the area.

FD just said Consumers has no record of a call about downed wires at fire scene.

Stay safe, firefighters.

THANKS FOR NOTHING, WALLING!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Wtf!?!?!? I'm tired of this, the city was in a 8 million dollar deficit, if the damn fire fighters cared enough then they would have taken the cuts! You act like Flint was fire free and was on the top list of safest cities in America! It wasn't, it's been one of the most dangerous ones and fires have been rampant as long as I can remember. Don't make tragedies like this political you old fool.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Pachuco you are an idiot. Regardless of how many fires Flint has ever had, it is plain to see that there have been many more recently. That coupled with the depleted fire department leads to an extremely unsafe atmosphere for both the firemen and the general public. The object of your idol worship is solely responsible for this. Ed Kurtz eliminated 25 million dollars in debt in 18 Month. Walling is incapable of eliminating 8 million in a year. The police and fire departments are already underpaid for their services in one of the most dangerous cities in America. Wallings ego and elitism is causing the layoffs. He can't stand the fact that he has all of the parchment paper hanging on his walls and there are police and firemen(working tons of overtime) making as much money as him. Bottom line. It's time for him to grow up and figure out how to right the ship before he sinks with it. He won't even be a one term mayor. Only a half term mayor.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pachuco- People, for various reasons, are starting these fires. Gangs are allegedly promising B & E's as well as fires this weekend. Flint has had a number of serial arsonists for at least 15 years. Arson is a very difficult crime to prosecute.

Flint firefighters battle multiple vacant house fires Friday evening
By Laura Misjak | The Flint Journal
April 02, 2010, 9:25PM
FLINT, Michigan — Flint firefighters are still on the scene of a fire located at the corner of E. Taylor Street and Avenue A in Flint.

The fire began at about 7:30 p.m. and Bertha Giles, 39, who lives next door to one of the destroyed homes, said the fire began at an occupied home on Avenue A. It then traveled to two vacant homes next door, she said.

Firefighters told Giles and her three young children to leave her house, she said.

"It's scary because you never know when it will happen to you," she said.

Fire officials could not be reached for comment.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Pachuco schreef:
Wtf!?!?!? I'm tired of this, the city was in a 8 million dollar deficit, if the damn fire fighters cared enough then they would have taken the cuts! You act like Flint was fire free and was on the top list of safest cities in America! It wasn't, it's been one of the most dangerous ones and fires have been rampant as long as I can remember. Don't make tragedies like this political you old fool.

Yeah, I'm old. I'm old enough to remember when people went away for a week & didn't lock their doors. I'm old enough to remember that when they came back nothing in their house was touched. I'm old enough to remember when a house fire was a rare occasion, not a daily event. I'm old enough to remember when it was safe to walk any street in Flint at night. I'm old enough to remember when Public Safety was the LAST thing to be cut when money was tight. I'm old enough to remember when two bit politicians were not worshiped as gods, but treated as what they are: public SERVANTS . And, I'm old enough to remember when wet behind the ears punks showed at least a little respect for those with more life experience then they had.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

More fires break out in Flint Friday nightFriday, April 02, 2010
Tags:flint, arson, fire department, fire, local, matt franklin
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo
Matt Franklin
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/02/10)--A fast-moving fire destroyed three homes in the city of Flint Friday night, and one had nearly 20 people inside.

Flint police are confirming they have one man in custody, and they are calling him an arson suspect. He was arrested shortly after the flames broke out.

The flames were first spotted around 7 p.m. at an abandoned home near the intersection of Avenue A and East Taylor Street.

Flint Public Safety Director Alvern Lock says at this point the man is suspected in Friday night's fires.

They do not believe he is responsible for the recent string of arsons. But there is yet another family feeling the fallout of such a deliberate act.

"We're in the house talking, and all of a sudden you hear windows and stuff popping. My kids said, 'Mama, we gotta get out,'" said Mildred Lott.

Lott watched her home burn to the ground with her inside her the house. Nearly 20 people -- including her kids and grandchildren -- were gathered for Easter weekend.

"You could hear windows busting," said Rosa Holmes. "We were trying to get everybody out. We lost a couple because there was so many people. But they went back in and got everybody out."

The flames were so intense that thick black smoke could be seen for miles across the city.

"This fire is completely unrelated to the other fires that have happened," Lock said.

Investigators say the fire was intentionally set. They said it likely started in a vacant house before spreading to another vacant home, and then to Lott's house.

Firefighters hosed down a nearby homeas the flames started to spread.

"They sat there and let my house catch on fire," Lott said. "If they're not in there trying to put the fire out it's for a reason. They don't want the house to burn down any more than anybody else."

Mutual aid was called in to assist Flint fire, which used every available firefighter. Police arrested a suspect not to far from the scene.

But it brings little comfort to Lott, who now has to start all over.

"No, we done lost everything," she said.

Lott says she doesn't know where she is going to go.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 am 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jane Avenue is almost deserted now. The JAB (Jane Avenue Boys) have chased almost everyone out. Some of these abandoned homes are being used for drug sales and prostitution. There has been vigilante actions on the east side in the past.

Overnight fires burned at 8 vacant Flint homes, 1 occupied
By Jean Johnson | The Flint Journal
April 04, 2010, 2:40PM
FLINT, Michigan — Firefighters battled blazes at nine different homes last night, said Flint Fire Department Battalion Chief Andy Graves.

"It was busy but not as hectic as the last two shifts," Graves said. "There were certainly far more fires than we would like to see."

Three of the abandoned house fires were on the 1600 block of Jane Avenue at 3:12 a.m. Sunday. Two of which— at 1621 and 1625 Jane Ave. — were on the city's demolition list, Graves said. Both were fully involved when Flint Police arson investigators arrived a minute after the call. The fire also spread to 1617 Jane Ave., another abandoned home.

Later firefighters battled two fires in unoccupied homes near the intersection of Page and Donald Streets at 4:46 a.m. Sunday. One was a fire in the basement and first floor of 1710 Donald St. The other, at 305 Page St., had minor damages after being extinguished.

"People were preparing to move into the house on Page (Street)," said Graves after speaking with neighbors.

Earlier in this morning there were three fires at vacant homes in a half-hour span.

One was at 1:26 a.m. at a vacant mobile home on 1718 Webster Rd. It was fully involved when fire crews arrived and was destroyed. Neighbors reported the residents were recently evicted, Graves said. Another was at 1:35 a.m. at detached garage at an abandoned home at Buick Street and East Pasadena Avenue. There was minor damage to the garage.

The third was at 1:48 a.m. at 237 East Rankin St. When crews arrived they found a small fire on the second floor and a shed burning in the backyard burning, Graves said. The fire was extinguished. There was minor damage to house, the shed was destroyed and a neighbor's wooden fence was damaged.

All of the last night's fires are under investigation for arson, excluding a kitchen fire on the 1900 block of West Pierson Road at 11:33 Saturday, Graves said.

Nobody was injured in any of the fires, he said.

While some Genesee County fire departments have decided to stop sending fire fighters to Flint fires, two aided last night.

Genesee Township Fire Department assisted Flint crews in the Jane Avenue fires. Mount Morris Township Fire Department responded to the fire at Buick and Pasadena Avenue and assisted Flint crews with the Rankin Street fire.

Residents who have information about these or other fires are encouraged to contact the Flint Police Department, Graves said. To report information, call Arson Investigators Sgt. Jim Hamilton at (810) 237-6912 or Sgt. Dana Daniels at (810) 237-6922.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am 
Wattie10906
F L I N T O I D

I love how people are blaming Walling for everything.... he's just trying to clean up the mess that was dumped in his lap....

I mean, the city council is doing a GREAT job---- "yeah, let's spend three million to revert seven streets downtown back to two-way streets.... there aren't better things to spend the money on, is there? No? Okay... approved!"

Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Pachuco schreef:

Yeah, I'm old. I'm old enough to remember when people went away for a week & didn't lock their doors. I'm old enough to remember that when they came back nothing in their house was touched. I'm old enough to remember when a house fire was a rare occasion, not a daily event. I'm old enough to remember when it was safe to walk any street in Flint at night. I'm old enough to remember when Public Safety was the LAST thing to be cut when money was tight. I'm old enough to remember when two bit politicians were not worshiped as gods, but treated as what they are: public SERVANTS . And, I'm old enough to remember when wet behind the ears punks showed at least a little respect for those with more life experience then they had.

Dave, this Pachuco guy ( is it a guy?) always sounded like a hood to me. He is cut from the same cloth as Domet I think ( meaning a ACORNite) . He is probably an Obamaite, a rap listening, gangsta wanna be. Domet is probably a little better edumacated than Pachuco but both are reading from little red book of quotations from Chairman Mao and Marx. As do all members of ACORN do of course. The hood wanna be and I have had a few exchanges in the past here but he really outdid himself in his arrogance. Pachuco always wants credit for being a good person, he enumerates his achivements (such as not being a drug dealer or a pimp) and being highly placed in his classes and all that. HURRAY kid, congrats, you are a (drum roll please) AN AVERAGE CITIZEN !, Everytime I hear people yammer on on about NOT being punk ass and doing what the average person does I think of that bit that Chris Rock doesl. "you're not supposed to have a record (explexitives deleted) !! Chris Rock,,well he rocks! I think the same thing! So Pachuco , join the club of ordinary , average citizen. Stay in school and all that ,,but mainly STAY AWAY FROM FROM MY DAUGHTERS !!
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Pachuco schreef:

Pachuco,

You really need to keep up with things before you make statements like that. Interim Mayor Michael Brown walked into a deficit. Under Michael Brown, he submitted a balanced budget according to Councilman Kincaid. Walling and his wonderboy Eason admitted to not making adjustments to the budget as they added their own spending and new positions to his administration. Walling didn't walk into this deficit, he created it. I had thought you were starting to learn something, but you still are making excuses for a Mayor that has no clue. He is violating the charter on a regular basis and unfortunately, we have a City Council that is just as inept as the Mayor. It is council's job to make sure the Mayor plays by the rules and they are not doing their job.

And yes their have been fires in Flint, but not the huge number that have occured since the layoffs. If Walling had followed the budget that was in place, we would not be in this situation. Walling needs to make cuts to cover his excessive spending on illegal hires and other non-budgeted spending.

You consistently want to blame the police and firefighters, but they are not the ones that created this deficit. These people literally put their lives on the line every day they go to work. Have you ever had a job where there was a real chance you might not be alive to go home at the end of the day? I have and you should be compensated extra to take that risk. The police offered concessions that would have saved more than Walling is saving with these layoffs. Yet Walling did not take them because he wanted to make others out to be the "bad guys", to shift it away from his own inadequacies as Mayor. And some naive individuals have fallen for that ploy hook, line and sinker. In case you haven't figured it out, YOU are one of those naive individuals.

You need to quit predetermining who is right or wrong before you get the facts. Unfortunately, the facts will not always support your candidate or agenda. But if you follow the facts, and make your decisions based on the facts, then you have a better chance of being perceived as a person with integrity and intelligence. That is something that you lose when you make statements like the one quoted above!

Thomas Jefferson
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pachuco schreef:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Damn Firefighters" care enough to try to put out 80 fires in 2 weeks when the average is 30 for the same time frame.

Innocent victims caught up in Flint arsons
Burned out family looks for a place to live
Few burned houses are owned by land bank
Flint continues to be plagued by fires
Tags:flint, dayne walling, fire, fire department, arson, local
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo
Peggy Agar and Cathy Shafran
FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/05/10)--In the past two weeks, the city of Flint has seen the number of fires almost triple.

Since the city laid off firefighters two weeks ago, there have been 80 fires reported around the city.

Flint typically only averages 30 fires for a two week period. But for one Flint family, the magic number is 24. Twenty-four is the number of people who escaped from the fire at their house Friday.

The arson fire started at a house at Avenue A and East Taylor. It didn't take long for it to spread to Mildred Lott's home next door.

She says firefighters threw up their hands at the magnitude of what they're facing. Lott is blaming the mayor.

Lott and her family are the innocent victims in what's been going on in the city. They weren't the target of an arsonist. But they are the ones suffering.

Lott, her husband and three of their children are in a hotel. They don't know where they will live. They have no money to rebuild and they have a great question for Mayor Dayne Walling.

There were 25 fires just this weekend in the city, so the number of arsons is not going down.

Lott hopes the mayor puts firefighters back on the street before more innocent families get caught up in this. She also needs financial help to provide for her family.

As the number of vacant house fires grows, some have started to question whether the fires may actually be benefiting demolition and Genesee County Land Bank efforts in the city.

But the head of the bank says the fires are actually hampering their demolition plans for the city.

"I think a lot of folks were assuming that the properties that burned were Land Bank properties," said Genesee County Land Bank Director Doug Weiland.

"But the numbers we looked at were just six out of 80."

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I was listening to the scanner last night during the fire at Seminole & Concord. Battalion Chief Root was very concerned about a dog at the rear of the house that they couldn't get to. She was repeatedly asking the fire fighters to do what they could to keep the dog safe. As far as I know, the dog is safe. I got the impression they had trouble finding a hydrant with sufficient pressure to provide the water they needed.
Also, they had to pull a rig from that fire to handle one at Beach & 12th.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:49 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I saw on flintspotlight.com that The Lady That Cares has helped some of the fire victims with clothing and other items.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: