FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where were the mayor and the chief?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I went to the press conference at the Joy Tabernacle Church about the shootings on Mackin Rd.and their effect on the families of those killed. Channels 5, 12 & 25 were there, along with a Journal reporter. The only representative from the city was Community Policing Officer Tanya Meeks. Walling's Twitting doesn't show any activity yesterday evening, so I guess he, and the chief, had better things to do. The Journal article does quote Walling as saying violent crimes are down & there's just a perception that violence is increasing.

Is it just a perception?
Is it deliberate under reporting so Flint appears to be safer, like Detroit was doing?
Is it deliberately ignoring crime in certain parts of the city?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Is it just a perception?
Is it deliberate under reporting so Flint appears to be safer, like Detroit was doing?
Is it deliberately ignoring crime in certain parts of the city?

Those are all fair questions. I wonder myself exactly what they are trying to say. I have not seen many crime numbers concerning the past year, and I am not sure entirely what standards they are using. I do know that the FJ used some crime numbers referring specifically to downtown - it may very well be that these statements refer directly to such things - separating the town into segments, some of which have lower rates and others with higher.

I would be incredibly curious to see the numbers Walling was referring to in those statements.

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

dave i gotta hand it to you. you are a true good citizen. i know your questions irk some people some time but without them and your concern for your neighborhood, things would be too easy to ignore. i must say i and the other citizens respect and appreciate your concern and outspoken demeanor!!!!!!!! Cool

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

All of these efforts are being made in the excitement caused by more senseless murders. We have seen this pattern time after time and nothing ever happens. Where is Church Without Walls, Bernard Lawler and the others who put on the fervent rallys and marchs against violence. Neeley appeared for the tv crews, but he did not attend the strategy session at the church. But then neither did Walling or the Police Chief. I guess they did send Officer Meeks to tell the citizens the administration cares.
There are several issues not addressed here. The mother, who may have truly been a wonderful mother, was allegedly at an afterhour club just around the corner from where she was killed. Why didn't they go home at 4:30 in the morning and why did they just go around the corner to the man's uncles driveway. Were they waiting for someone? Everyone has to take personal responsibility for themselves .The question is whether or not these individuals deliberately placed themselves in harms way. I am not saying they asked to be killed. I am saying it appears they were engaging in risky behavior that contributed to this violent outcome.
I am totally opposed to the way the woman's family has been used in this publicity debacle. The young man's grief is real, but the pastor seems to be using him and the family as a vehicle for attention. Typical media hype of "it it bleeds, it leads".
I understand Walling may have committed some emergency funding for the pastor to create a task force of sorts. And the pastor's hype about bringing in the federal government is just that-more hype. We cannot expect the federal government to come in and ride to the rescue. Every large urabn area in the country is experiencing difficulty.
The last task force on violence produced a report that was mostly a joke. It cited simplistic solutions to the problem of crime and no solutions or financial options for implementation.The citizens said they wanted stronger code enforcement and counil responded by eliminating code enforcement.
We need a proactive approach, one that focuses on the very young while they are still forming their life decisions. We need to strengthen our mentoring, recreational and educational programs for our youth.
We need more economic solutions and we need to spend our dwindling federal resources on better solutions instead of throwing it at nonprofits that return minimal results.
We need a Land Bank that will unite with with the city to control blight and not one that thinks it is a developer of large downown projects. State Sen.Tom George, R-Kalamazoo now working for just such a Land Bank. Because traditional Land banks lack the authority to deal withthe ever increasing urban vacancy problems, he has tailored a bill to create a local authority for redevelopment of these properties.
Flint was once known for its volunteerism, but people don't volunteer anymore.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i agree on all points.

a preacher, just like a politician can do nothing more than "play" for media.
real involvement is needed. god helps those who help themselves.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:05 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The son of one of the murdered women was interviewed on ABC-12 acknowledging her identity before police made identification of the victims public, and he stated he was writing to President Obama to ask for help.

Senseless murders are causing havoc with emotions everywhere. Even when the victims are not blood relatives or friends it can't help but affect us when we see the repeatedly devastating news of more lives lost. Whether it gives rise to thoughts of arming for self-protection or running to no-man's land to get away from it all (fat chance because it's everywhere), there's an emotional response to such violence when we realize we can really do nothing to control the murder impulse in others.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: