FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Death of the Intellectual Conservative
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:
I'm a bad philosopher then since I'm not engaging in reasonable discourse, I recognize that. I just come here for the LOLZ.

You know, I added Flint Talk on Facebook quite some time ago, like when my account first activated.. and never really thought anything of it. Then one day there was somebody saying something insane about one thing or another, and that was pretty much my attitude - "Well, at the very least this could be fun."

You can have intelligent discourse on this board.. there are some posters who will take the time to actually engage you.

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:
Also, yes there clearly is a fallacy within credentialing yourself, but it's a form of sophistry.

Yah, and sophistry is a good time. I will admit to being part of a "guerilla philosophy" group called SIDILI which did these sorts of things as a bad hobby. Good times none-the-less. (SIDILI never actually meant anything, but more often than not it stood for Sophists for the Intelligent Discussion of Irrelevant Logical Impositions).

Just the same, recently I've taken the tact of trying to understand and relate to those who don't necessarily agree with me. The point isn't to inflame just to inflame, as fun as that is on the interweb - I've been using it as an exercise in understanding what all the noise is about. Scream politics, especially in forums, is exceptionally ineffective and I am much more interested in learning how to get through it than adding to it. I have been finding that Flint Talk is exceptionally good at helping in that.

quote:
twotap schreef:
Whats really funny are those on this forum who actually think that Flints on its way back. Some with degrees no less.

Depends what you mean - I can tell you how and where Flint is "on its way back," however I wouldn't tell you to hold your breath for most of the city.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 am 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

I don't agree with some of the decisions made by our elected officials either, but I'll never say that I hate America. Even in sarcasm.

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 am 
Dan Moilanen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ponycar schreef:
I don't agree with some of the decisions made by our elected officials either, but I'll never say that I hate America. Even in sarcasm.

*hits head against keyboard*

I was being sarcastic in that the right assumes all within academia are radical commies who hate America. Also, I never actually said that I hate America.

If you read my original post again:

quote:
Dan Moilanen schreef:
"I guess you'd have to put me in a minority of 'cultural elite.' The infamous cultural elites who hate America, Babies, Guns, and utilize this strange concept known as 'rational thought.'"

You are familiar with the term, sarcasm correct?

"I am not a Marxist."
-Karl Marx
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:53 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i have been a few places in my day. enough to know why almost every country has people who would love to be here BUT , i have also seen how republican hooligans have attempted to turn america into something totally unamerican and good citizens will never allow a minority of zealots to ruin this great country.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:26 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
hooligans have attempted to turn america into something totally unamerican and good citizens will never allow a minority of zealots to ruin this great country.

Acorn? Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayres, Van Jones et. al.?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Domet
F L I N T O I D

Why is everybody so down on ACORN? Man. Dave, you too? The Flint chapter of ACORN has been involved in some fantastic work in this city.

Besides that, ACORN certainly isn't ruining the country, Jeremiah Wright is crazy and doing what the majority does, but instead is quite vocal about it and Bill Ayres.. well, I don't even want to get into a conversation about him, but he far from ruined the country. Because people are on the opposite side of the aisle to you does not mean they are ruining the country, it means they disagree with you which, last a checked, was a living part of being an American.
Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:27 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ponycar schreef:
I don't agree with some of the decisions made by our elected officials either.

What decisions do you agree with?

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:36 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The Flint chapter of ACORN has been involved in some fantastic work in this city.

Like what registering Mickey Mouse and Goofy to vote for THE ONE.

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:42 am 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Like what registering Mickey Mouse and Goofy to vote for THE ONE

Despite the fact that I don't think you're a bad guy at heart, twotap, your world is incredibly limited by the closed minded perspectives you take upon yourself. Instead of making intelligent, rational arguments you botch reason for the sake of being offensive or displaying a complete lack of knowledge. This is what happens when your only information source are pundits though - you are so steeped in your own culture that ignorance to you appears as a worthwhile endeavor, and that is incredibly sad.

There is only one state where ACORN has ever been held responsible for voter fraud, and that is Nevada. Despite the fact that in every election over the last 9 years, Faux News and the Republican Party have attacked them for doing pretty important work - registering the poor and disenfranchised voters that rarely vote for republicans. Oh no! I understand that they are scared of getting Americans who don't like them to vote, but you twotap? You are super into freedom and rights - how can you even have a problem with an organization for doing that?

In the last 9 years only once have they ever been held responsible, and that was because the city organizer in Nevada betrayed the trust of her local members, and for that she deserves everything that she gets. Because some employees write down false names, ACORN isn't responsible - that individual is. ACORN is required, regardless of what the name on the form is, to report those names to the state.

That's the thing about ACORN that you don't get, twotap - it isn't an organization of liberals just running around doing stuff - the people who work for ACORN work for the people who are members in the local chapter. People are the ones who make decisions on what to do and how to do it. That's why Flint ACORN has been responsible for setting up crime watches, negotiating with the sheriff to not be involved in foreclosure, running Stop the Violence campaigns, getting Williamson out of office, running a tax site to help people who can't get their taxes done, running a foreclosure site to help people not get foreclosed upon - that's why they registered voters, made sure land lords were fixing their properties when heat wasn't on in the winter - Flint ACORN is a top notch organization, regardless of your position, and there is nothing you can ever say or do to erase that.

Your mindless attacks on an organization that you know absolutely nothing about not only get old, but they still don't make any sense. OH NO! ACORN told people they thought were underprivileged to lie to the government! There sure aren't lawyers and tax preparers that do that - but this one is ACORN so they must be evil! Of course Rolling Eyes OH NO! ACORN has supposedly STOLEN THE ELECTION! They didn't steal anything - they were working to ensure that people who normally don't vote or have difficulty voting had access or the right to come election day. Sorry if that bothers you, and I would love to know why it does, but the worse they did was help people who needed it. Have they made some shitty mistakes? Yeah. Has it been overblown by people who don't like them and then made worse by people who don't bother to actually back their opinions up with fact? Yeah, and that's another sad truth about the world we all have to bear - the "majority" in American tends towards ignorance and polarized ideologies. It is that, and not the liberal agenda, that will destroy this country.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:46 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

mindless lemmings for lush rimbaugh. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:00 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Your mindless attacks on an organization that you know absolutely nothing about

There you go again. Maybe congress should have checked with you first, you sure your not related to Fstar??Laughing

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/09/senate-votes-to-keep-housing-funds-from-acorn.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_acorn

Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:52 pm 
enjoylife23
F L I N T O I D

I just have one question.

If somebody put razor blades in your hamburger at McDonalds, do you blame the entire corporation for what some sick employee did?

I mean, this is the same argument over and over, and all the while, the point is being missed:
It's still blaming an entire organization for the actions of some of its employees, who have chosen to make a complete fool of themselves. I know the McDonald's question is a bit drastic, but you most definitely would not hunt down the CEO of McDonalds to beat his ass over your bleeding mouth- you'd find out who cooked your burger, and jump on him.

Just saying...
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Interesting point, interesting but mute, see ya acorn Laughing Laughing no more American working folks tax dollars being wasted on you. by the way McDonalds isnt funded with taxpayer dollars its a profit making company so im sure some leach lawyer would take care of the razorblade incident and take his or hers 1/3 plus travel and court time. Sound about right bankert? Laughing

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:28 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

you kats are flipped out! Shocked

P.Y.
Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 pm 
enjoylife23
F L I N T O I D

... Acorn gets federal funding from where?

Directly from their website:
[url]http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=17857&tx_irfaq_pi1[showUid]=161&tx_irfaq_pi1[back]=aW5kZXgucGhwP2lkPTE3ODU3JnR4X2lyZmFxX3BpMXNob3dVaWQ%3D&cHash=bde43d35a3[/url]
Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: