FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: College Cultural Neightborhood Mad As Hell
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:23 PM
To: Streby, Paul; Suzi Davidek
Subject: Central issue

Paul & Suzi,

Last week members of the Central Park Neighborhood Association met with Mike and I asking us to support their position on the closing of Central. They are very unhappy that the Flint school administration has refused to talk with Powers about Powers purchasing Central. Ed Custer, Mike and I have all talked with Betty Ramsdell about this, and she absolutely insists20the money is out there for us to rebuild a new Central -- but she isn't sure where the money is coming from. Not to pick on Betty -- I think she drank the same Kool-aid as the rest of the board and administration.

Central Park voted to send a letter, and I am attaching it for you to read. They asked us to write a letter about what our members discussed in the last meeting,and it's also attached. Please read it over and decide if you want to sign it as an officer. We will be discussing it again at the next meeting but I don't want to wait until then to send this off. Please read it as soon as you can -- I will be out of town for a few days after Wed. afternoon and I'd like to mail it off before then. If you agree to sign I'll get the hard copy to you early this week.

you can call me at 424-5428 (work)
thanks,
Sherry
Post Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Doesn't sound like Miss Betty knows much about nothing
Post Mon May 04, 2009 1:09 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Jerome knows how to follow Betty who knows how to follow Paul who recruited her who has shown his ability to follow Vera Perry who pretty much always votes with Linda Thompson. It would be much simpler to eliminate the middleman peons but such is politics.

I actually do have to kind of agree with Betty on this one. I think the money is out there for Central. Apparently they are looking at historical grants from the feds and there's also the Mott foundation and the stimulus money. Now the schools on the north end though I think you can pretty much forget about getting those fixed up under our current gentrification system we're on. I kind of like Northwestern but it appears that and/or Northern will eventually get closed.

If you go talk to the person who paid for the plans to be drawn up for the new Central you will pobably get somee answers.

They pretty much had to close Central for a year or two for it to get renovated/rebuilt. Otherwise I'm sure northern or NWA would have got closed. Once Central re-opens I imagine they will bring the ax down on the north end.

From what I know and have heard we might eventually be able to go with Central as the one high school and SWA as the one middle schools. I'd rather go with two and two and try and hold the line so to speak but I'm just a citizen right now.
Post Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

why do people in Flint always think Mott Foundation will bail them out? Its almost like a child sucking on their parents tit until they are 70 years old. When will Flint Grow up? We can't always say well the mott foundation will do this or that. Charles Stewart Mott created the foundation to improve our city and lifes of others, not to enable them.

Post Mon May 04, 2009 2:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Why do you always wait for grant money to fix up carriage town? Why not just reach in your pockets & get it done? You're doing the same thing you accuse others of doing.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Ryan I wouldn't stick up for your neighbors! They are not well liked.

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

why do people in Flint always think Mott Foundation will bail them out? Its almost like a child sucking on their parents tit until they are 70 years old. When will Flint Grow up? We can't always say well the mott foundation will do this or that. Charles Stewart Mott created the foundation to improve our city and lifes of others, not to enable them.

Post Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

whoa.....

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon May 04, 2009 8:27 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

why does every frickin' thread on this forum end up bashing carriage town. STAY ON SUBJECT.

Central High School. Discuss.

Post Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Because they're both in the downtown area and we need to fix up downtown so the Uptown 6 can make their money.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:37 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Those people take money from other parts of the City.

Carriage Town
Downtown
Mott Park

quote:
Tegan schreef:
why does every frickin' thread on this forum end up bashing carriage town. STAY ON SUBJECT.

Central High School. Discuss.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

With $7 billion dollars over 20 years (according to Eason) we should have been able to fix up every part of the city.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

yeah, but carriage town has nothing to do with the flint school system refusing to entertain the idea of powers purchasing the building, and the comments about carriage town and the use of money to fix up selected parts of the city are no different than have been beaten to death on other threads.

Then again, I'm not wanting to be a forum nazi. talk about whatever you want, even if it takes you in circles.

Personally, it seems to me like a letter writing campaign would work better. Maybe even to Central alumni asking them to NOT support the Flint public schools if they decide to work against the wishes of the Alumni Association.

Or is the alumni association in on this as well?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:14 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Aren't Powers and Carriagetown in the same general area (downtown). The same individuals directing money down town and downtown neighborhoods are also likely to direct money to Central. In addition for the "bulldozer areas" it appears they are headed towards losing their high schools.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Central High School is NOT in Carriage Town. and it makes a big difference when talking about tax credits. The point is that the Flint School System has nothing to do with Carriage Town, because Carriage Town no longer has any schools in it. So if the problem is with the short-sightedness of the Flint School System, then Carriage Town isn't a part of it. Also, Uptown Developments (as far as I know) has NOTHING to do with Carriage Town. The downtown area that Uptown is a part of is not in the designated Carriage Town historic district. I am not exactly a fan of EVERYTHING that uptown does, but you can't tie it into carriage town.

There are three different issues going on, and as long as people are screaming about all three, nothing will get done.

Personally, I am more pissed off about Civic Park School closing than Central High School. I think that more needs to happen there,

Like I mentioned in another thread, there are lots of second lives for Central High School - Powers HIgh School, condos, apartments, community center. No point in sending all that material to a landfill.

Post Tue May 05, 2009 10:24 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Tegan your moving out of here, so why bother to waste your time posting on here? I hate when out of towners try to help run Flint.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
Central High School is NOT in Carriage Town. and it makes a big difference when talking about tax credits. The point is that the Flint School System has nothing to do with Carriage Town, because Carriage Town no longer has any schools in it. So if the problem is with the short-sightedness of the Flint School System, then Carriage Town isn't a part of it. Also, Uptown Developments (as far as I know) has NOTHING to do with Carriage Town. The downtown area that Uptown is a part of is not in the designated Carriage Town historic district. I am not exactly a fan of EVERYTHING that uptown does, but you can't tie it into carriage town.

There are three different issues going on, and as long as people are screaming about all three, nothing will get done.

Personally, I am more pissed off about Civic Park School closing than Central High School. I think that more needs to happen there,

Like I mentioned in another thread, there are lots of second lives for Central High School - Powers HIgh School, condos, apartments, community center. No point in sending all that material to a landfill.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: