FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dear Mayor Brown,

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dear Mayor Brown,

I am not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order, but I am hopeful that you will do a good job as our new mayor. I would like to offer you some advice that may help you on your journey. Here are some things that I think are important in improving Flint Michigan.

1.) Rebuild the bridges, no not the ones over the rivers cause as you know Mayor Don Williamson rebuilt all of those. I mean get people connected in all 9 wards and make they feel like they are players in moving Flint forward. Listen to all of their concerns and give them the tools they need to improve it for themselfs as well.

2.) Be transparent with the budget and operations of the City of Flint. Let us residents know what's happening.

3.) Do not sell our trees in our parks, or our metal to raise capital to keep the city going. ( Little hint it didn't go over to well in the past )

4.) Please come north of the Flint river for support, us folks north of the river need your help as much as the eastsiders do.

5.) Lets get some federal funds and use them to best improve Flint. What's the biggest bang for our buck?

6.) Do you like Pork? Hire a lobbyist to lobby for funds that can get us moving again. Our nation is now in a recession, but Flint Michigan has been in one for the last 30 years. We are in a depression, help us help those in need.

7.) Not everything was bad with the last administration, one thing that they did one hellva job doing was roads. They used the gas tax/fed monies to the best of their ability. Bill Ayre was a genius in this aspect. He could take $1 Flint dollar and turn into $6 road repair dollars.

8.) Retain John Carpenter head of the Transportation department, Mr. Carpenter has demonstrated great care, compassion, knowledge and leadership skills in his department. Lets keep him working for us!

9.)Park Mileage. where is all our park monies going? All our parks are shitty and not taken care of unless they are getting cleaned up by grants, foundations, u of m or IMA. Let's get our parks in order, cause we the taxpayers are funding them.

10.) Let's put out national searches for the top posts in our city. Let's get the best damn people money can buy, so we will pay a little more, but you get what you pay for. I don't want friends running our city, I want people that have the education and know how.

11.) Building and Safety Department needs to be overhauled, lets get some competent people running the place. Let's start having that department make us money. We can do that by enforcing our ordinances and doing inspections. I believe this department can be a money maker for this city.

12.) Business and Home Owner retention program. How can we keep the businesses and people here in Flint? Lets not just focus on attracting new home owners and business. Lets retain the ones we have here so far while marketing new ones.

Mayor Brown You have the best job in the world believe it or not, you have a city that needs help. You have a city that can't get any worse and you have the ability to make one big ass come back. You can change the course we are on and make us shine again. Everyday you can wake up and have things to do that are worthy. I wish you the very best and offer my assistence in anyway that can be used. I also would hope you would stay our mayor and run in the election in August 2009.

Your Friend In Flint,

Ryan Eashoo,
Resident, Taxpayer, Voter, Flint Supporter, Activist

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, I hope that list wasn't in order of priority. I also believe you have somehow overlooked what I believe should be the primary objectives when it comes to the resurrection of the City of Flint.

There are two priorities to attracting residents back to the City of Flint. The first is to improve the Flint Public School system. No family with school aged children is going to want to raise their family here if we are unable to provide a decent education for the youngsters. It is time to demand accountability from the school board and force them to make the tough decisions. Close two high schools(it doesn't matter what group complains about the tradition of their particular school) and eliminate many elementary schools. We are operating with nearly the same amount of schools that we used when we had 180,000 people in the City.

The second priority is to create a perception of safety. The local media shares some fault as it relates to this perception. There are many out county residents that are afraid to visit downtown because they believe they will be crime victims. The reality is that the downtown area is probably the safest area of the city. A working relationship must be developed with the local media, not to keep information from the citizenry or to mislead them, but to help improve our public perception. The second phase is to improve police response to the citizens. There are plenty of crimes in the outcounty, the difference is that when they call 911 they get an officer quickly and their complaint is serviced. In Flint when they call 911 they may have to wait for hours for an officer. After the complaint is taken they may never get contacted by a detective to investigate the complaint. The reason is that the police department has been depleted in numbers, and the remaining staff has been splintered into small specialty groups. The main focus of the department should be service to the constituents. Answering calls for service and investigating complaints. The department should do away with these outmoded specialty units and focus on a service driven patrol bureau and detective bureau.

If the city addresses these two priorities, many of the other problems we are experiencing will fall into place. These two issues alone with attract residents and businesses, thus increasing revenue.
Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Nope not in order just some ideas. I agree with you about the schools, as a REALTOR people always tell me NOT FLINT!! And I always look puzzled and ask "Why not Flint"?. Its not because of bickering of city council and the mayor, its not because of minorities, its not because of crime blah blah blah..

The #1 reason I am told is " I don't want my kids going to Flint Schools, they are unsafe and falling down". I believe we need to overhaul our schools and make them the #1 priority Bossman!

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Ryan,

Now you can add to list of the reason's not to attend the public schools. The Flint Central Principal was just arrested for his THIRD DUI. Nice Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:34 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

dui?????? who??? the principle?????
Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:54 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint Central High School Principal Thomas J. Costello facing felony drunken driving charge in Livingston County
Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Dear Mayor Brown,

I am not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order, but I am hopeful that you will do a good job as our new mayor. I would like to offer you some advice that may help you on your journey. Here are some things that I think are important in improving Flint Michigan.

1.) Rebuild the bridges, no not the ones over the rivers cause as you know Mayor Don Williamson rebuilt all of those. I mean get people connected in all 9 wards and make they feel like they are players in moving Flint forward. Listen to all of their concerns and give them the tools they need to improve it for themselfs as well.

2.) Be transparent with the budget and operations of the City of Flint. Let us residents know what's happening.

3.) Do not sell our trees in our parks, or our metal to raise capital to keep the city going. ( Little hint it didn't go over to well in the past )

4.) Please come north of the Flint river for support, us folks north of the river need your help as much as the eastsiders do.

5.) Lets get some federal funds and use them to best improve Flint. What's the biggest bang for our buck?

6.) Do you like Pork? Hire a lobbyist to lobby for funds that can get us moving again. Our nation is now in a recession, but Flint Michigan has been in one for the last 30 years. We are in a depression, help us help those in need.

7.) Not everything was bad with the last administration, one thing that they did one hellva job doing was roads. They used the gas tax/fed monies to the best of their ability. Bill Ayre was a genius in this aspect. He could take $1 Flint dollar and turn into $6 road repair dollars.

8.) Retain John Carpenter head of the Transportation department, Mr. Carpenter has demonstrated great care, compassion, knowledge and leadership skills in his department. Lets keep him working for us!

9.)Park Mileage. where is all our park monies going? All our parks are shitty and not taken care of unless they are getting cleaned up by grants, foundations, u of m or IMA. Let's get our parks in order, cause we the taxpayers are funding them.

10.) Let's put out national searches for the top posts in our city. Let's get the best damn people money can buy, so we will pay a little more, but you get what you pay for. I don't want friends running our city, I want people that have the education and know how.

11.) Building and Safety Department needs to be overhauled, lets get some competent people running the place. Let's start having that department make us money. We can do that by enforcing our ordinances and doing inspections. I believe this department can be a money maker for this city.

12.) Business and Home Owner retention program. How can we keep the businesses and people here in Flint? Lets not just focus on attracting new home owners and business. Lets retain the ones we have here so far while marketing new ones.

Mayor Brown You have the best job in the world believe it or not, you have a city that needs help. You have a city that can't get any worse and you have the ability to make one big ass come back. You can change the course we are on and make us shine again. Everyday you can wake up and have things to do that are worthy. I wish you the very best and offer my assistence in anyway that can be used. I also would hope you would stay our mayor and run in the election in August 2009.

Your Friend In Flint,

Ryan Eashoo,

Dear Mayor Brown,

Damn good job tonight.

Adam Ford

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Go Central!

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
Ryan,

Now you can add to list of the reason's not to attend the public schools. The Flint Central Principal was just arrested for his THIRD DUI. Nice Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:34 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dear Mayor Brown,

Your Friend In Flint,

Ryan Eashoo,

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: