FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Can a Christian, Evangelical or Catholic, Vote Democrat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can a Christian, Evangelical or Catholic, Vote Democrat?

This is a question that can up today while I was knocking on doors.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

This Christian does. Don't forget John Paul's objection to the war in Iraq.
Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:34 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I was just discussing this in my class....why are LOCAL voters raking you over the coals when it comes to religious ideologies?!

Dave Robertson and I got into it on my front porch and basically told me that he doesn't understand how I can believe what I do...<shrug>

Yes, a lot of the Catholics, Evangelicals and the rest of us Christians CAN vote for the Democratic Party. People are realizing nowadays that the abortion issue is only ONE facet of each party.

We may see a shift in religious voters due to the fact that the war was initiated by the Pres. whom IS a Republican....not laying the whole blame, just the way that things may be portrayed through the eyes of ....me. Smile Dems don't want to go to war, as the majority of us feel betrayed and this is not worth fighting for through the eyes of God, because Saddam was not the person who bombed us. Voting Dem will bring us closer to the end of the war.

You see things like global warming...expand that to God's gift to us all to be good stewards of in Genesis, etc. We are destroying God's gift through our narcissism..etc. The Dems are all for fighting global warming...

Religion is starting to play a role in comforting the poor..under Rep. control we have all gotten poorer, therefore good stewardship to vote for someone that will balance the budget.

I pulled these examples out of my arse, but there are a lot of Catholics and Evangelicals that may be changing sides so to speak....

There are 33,000 different denominations in this country and each of them have their own quirks...next time someone asks you that question, you can honestly state that with 33,000 different denominations some of them have to vote Dem/Ind. Smile

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
This Christian does. Don't forget John Paul's objection to the war in Iraq.

What is that called the Just War Doctrine?

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

What about the Abortion Plank? How do you get around that one and stay true to your faith?

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****What about the Abortion Plank? How do you get around that one and stay true to your faith?*****

It depends really there are many facets that can be answered to that question...

Depends on the depth of religion of the person asking the question and their body language as to whether they really want your opinion or not. Are you going to pussyfoot around? Or are you going to gently tell them your points of views with the body language that states you are secure in your beliefs but you will listen to them and point of view. I think that people are severely cognizant that this issue will not be solved in the next hundred years. But if you listen, just listen to them you will make a big hit. Smile

The other point that I am taking out of your question is how in the hell do you resolve this issue and sleep at night kind of thing?

Well, simple...it's severely between me and my maker. Is God going to judge me when this life is over? Yes. Will my mother and father and grandparents be standing next to God pointing their fingers at me under his throne? No....just God.

No one can tell you what to share with God and vice versa...it's a sacred thing. Now a lot of vitriol is expressed with that and people not taking responsibility for their actions ensue because of that point of view.

I could write a book, as evidenced by the response, but it is possible that one can stay true to their faith realizing that we are all human and we make mistakes. If we seek an abortion as women, we shouldn't be condemned nor treated as second class citizens. For we are we are not loving our neighbors as ourselves....If the woman seeks God's comfort afterwards due to guilt, maybe "the mistake" will lead her closer to God...dunno.

There is not one good answer...whatsoever.

Is the living more important than the potential life? Yes, there are potential health issues that prevent a woman from carrying a pregnancy to full term...If the mother already has three children and cannot carry the embryo to full term and it is advised against by the doctor due to severe complications or death, whom is going to take care of the three existing children should the mother die IF carrying the embryo to term?

Would God want that after he had given you the foreshadowing of possible death? I think not. What kind of life would the existing children lead knowing that they lost a mother that they knew rather than the life that they didn't know inside the mother?

Too many facets to solidify response...the last example is an exaggeration but one that hits close to home because it happened to my mother, but her pregnancy was carried to full term!!

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 pm 
Brother WilliamX
F L I N T O I D

Anybody can vote anyway that they choose too.
This is why the world is screwed today, due to
the fact that people involve Religion with Politics,
and neither has NOTHING to do with the other.
What's the differances voting Democrat
or Republician? We can vote either way.

I really do not mix religion with politics, due to the
main reason it always starts confusion, and at times
it will start a fight. But I just had to say that anyone
can vote without permission. I am Moorish/American
that was drawn into the faith of islam, and I am so
thankful that my ancestors fought for me to have a
voice in our Government.

However, If it really came down to it whereas I did not
like no candidate. I would not waste my vote on someone
that I do not know.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:02 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****This is why the world is screwed today, due to
and neither has NOTHING to do with the other. *****

Shukron!!!
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If one of the tenets of my religion is that abortion is murder, then my conscience will not allow me to vote for a pro abortion candidate. There's no way to separate the two.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
****This is why the world is screwed today, due to
and neither has NOTHING to do with the other. *****

Too bad for Britian those pesky revolutionaries didn't have the IRS to help seperate it and use the churches to organize.

On another note if it wasn't for religion Barrack Obama might not be running for president so he can preside over a few million more killings. If you think the problem is involving religion and politics together than maybe you should not vote fo Barrack who's political carreer originally fed off his church.
Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:41 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Steve,

I've heard this argued in very logical terms, and I think in politics it's a point worth considering.

Will I ever convince people that it's not their business? Well, obviously not (even though it became an issue rather erroneously).

If pro-lifers win, are they actually suggesting that the state would own my body for 9 months? They'd actually favor a fetus of me, a real being?

No, we're never going to reach a much closer consensus than where we are now. This is the middle ground, this is the compromise; pro lifers get some protections for when it's a truly viable fetus, and pro choicers still get some choice about their bodies.

I don't think we'll ever swing too far either way. SO GIVE IT UP!!! Why are we wasting energy on arguing a philosophical problem that will NEVER be solved when we have so many pressing problems that we CAN solve?

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was beaten up a couple of time while knocking on doors.

I was not prepared to answer the abortion question, I didn't think it would come up.

I posed the questions here merely to get others insight. By no means am I taking sides or arguing a point. If that’s the way it came across, I apologize

Thanks!

Spelling error

Last edited by Steve Myers on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:59 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I'm saying that's the strategy.

Remind them that no issues like that are decided at the township level. That's how I treat it and that's why I have no qualms about repubs in local government.

Or you could opt to say that you leave that to the courts.

Or you could just answer it straight up, but not advisable.

Didn't think you were advocating a position, I was just demonstrating that we need to have an argument that looks past an issue that will never be resolved in this country.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 pm 
Brother WilliamX
F L I N T O I D

[quote=Adam Ford] On another note if it wasn't for religion Barrack Obama might not be running for president so he can preside over a few million more killings[/quote]

Adam, the above post is outrages, stupid, and ignorant.
So you saying if it wasn't for Obama's religion. He would
never have ran for President so he can preside over a few
million killings? Are you included in that million?
You are one sick a**hole, and the more you post the
more I think that you are a racist.

I hope that you other people here on Flint Talk are haters.
Because someone like Adam deserves to be punked out.
His statement above is like Hitler getting the okay to kill
those people that he killed.

Adam, since you are against a Black man becoming a
President. I guess that you and a million other under
cover racist will need to take some exlax tonight after
President Obama beats the s**t out of McCain.

However, it would NOT surprise me one bit if foulplay
happens.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Foul play well how about this for starters?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008
A Repeat of 2004 Philly Voter Chaos, Fraud
Posted by: Amanda Carpenter at 7:46 AM
EXCLUSIVE, DEVELOPING--

GOP Election Board members have been tossed out of polling stations in more than half a dozen polling stations in Philadelphia because of their party status.

A liberal judge previously ruled that court-appointed poll watchers could be NOT removed from their boards by an on-site election judge, but that is exactly what is happening.

It is the duty of election board workers to monitor and guard the integrity of the voting process.

Denying access to the minority (in this case Republican) poll watchers and inspectors is a violation of Pennsylvania state law. Those who violate the law can be punished with a misdemeanor subject to a fine of $1,000 and prison of between one month and two years.

Those on site as describing it as "pandemonium" and there may be video coming of the chaos.

Some of the precincts where Republicans have been removed are: the 44th Ward, 12th and 13th divisions; 6th Ward, 12th division; 32nd Ward, Division 28.

“Election board officials guard the legitimacy of the election process and the idea that Republicans are being intimidated and banned for partisan purposes does not allow for an honest and open election process,” said McCain-Palin spokesman Ben Porritt in a statement to Townhall.

The City of Brotherly Love was roiled in controversy during the 2004 election because of rigged voting machines that showed nearly 2,000 votes for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry before the polls had opened. A man also used a gun to intimidate poll workers at Ward 30, division 11 in 2004.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: