FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: League of Women Voter guides

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

LWV Voter Guides for November Election

Look…The League of Women Voters of Michigan & League of Women Voters of the Flint Area
Non- Partisan Voter Guide. FREE

LWVMI Voter Guide Now On-line! Visit www.lwvmi.org. with a link from the Home Page or from: http://lwvmi.org/voterguide-2008.htm
Let all your friends know!

The state Voter Guide will include questions and responses from Michigan candidates running for U.S. House and Senate, State Board of Education, UM Regents, MSU Trustees, WSU Governors, State Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. See Proposals for State Constitutional Amendments, Voter information and the 6 pairs of candidates for President/Vice President of the United States.

Look… for local your Voter Guide at www.lwvflintarea.org.

This local voter guide will include questions and responses from candidates running for Michigan House of Representatives in the 34th, 48th 50th, 51st and 82nd districts; Genesee County offices for Clerk, Treasurer, Register of Deeds and County Commissioner Districts 1 & 6. Uncontested local judges are also listed.

Look… for the Voter Guide Survey. Please answer and submit questionnaire online at www.lwvflintarea.org, send by mail, or hand it to a local League member at a community meeting. This LWV guide was published to 85,000 readers thanks to Tony Dearing & the Flint Journal. We must have your response if you found this guide useful (or not) and wish us to continue to provide non-partisan information to our community.

lwv.publius.org – Registered Voters can check polling location and view a sample ballot including all uncontested races in your area.

League of Women Voters of the Flint Area,
PO Box 230, Flint, MI 48501, www.lwvflintarea.org
This guide is supported (in part) by the League of Women Voters Education Fund through a grant from
the Program on Constitutional and Legal Policy of the Open Society Institute.

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Received mine in class yesterday. Smile Good job of putting it together.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:25 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Thanks andi03, glad we could reach you and share non-partisan information.
attempting to reach college students... as many senior citizens have already voted absentee.
One senior told me he had already voted and after reading the guide thought he would have voted differently on quite a few items.

These are the candidates words printed as submited. The LWV Guide is a tool for voter education.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:50 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am an old college student but the young ones in the class looked like they were just handed something that they had never seen before. Wink

I don't think that I would vote absentee due to the fact that I would like to know some of the write-in candidates and some of the candidates actions leading up to the election would thwart my vote.

Thanks for you hard work. Smile

Andi

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:04 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

I don't believe the LWV local guide has been published in the Flint Journal since 1998. So young voters may NOT have seen it before.

The LWV MI guide has still been distributed by volunteers to libraries and other drop off sites. Older voters know where to look for it.

LWV-Flint Area approached the Flint Journal two years ago about a Voter Guide and Tony Dearing (new editor) was not at the meeting. We were told they would discuss with him and board and get back with us.

A few weeks later I was at a meeting where the (then new editor) Tony Dearing was speaking. Seated next to him i brought up the LWV Voter Guide. He knew NOTHING about the proposal, he had not even been consulted.

December 07 -LWV contacted Tony Dearing about a Voter Guide for Nov. 08 with a small grant available. Tony surprized us and helped to make it happen. Through him it was printed and distributed to 85.000 readers.

Due to cost/economy the suggested 32 page guide was cut to 16 pages.
Township offices and other items were not included. Still we have our foot in the door and if we have enough positive feedback to the journal we may be able to continue or even expand on future voter guides. Contact John Foren local news editor at jforen@flintjournal.com or 810-766-6382. tell him if you liked or did not like the LWV Guide.

The journal gave us 600+ extra guides to distribute to colleges and libraries on OCT 27th.
We distributed 1000 LWV MI Voter Guides to senior centers and libraries in Genesee County in mid OCT.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:44 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Has it been that long!? Holy Cow!!!

You must be totally frustrated, with the way that things have worked out in the past, disseminating information this year was wonderful and needed, too boot.

You want to know why? In my mind's eye it's due to the fact that it presented information on more than just the two large parties. In this day and age with people completely mad at the way the things are going, the legitimacy and reasoning to vote a third party has merit.

Good job. Wink

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: