FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How to curtail bigotry and racism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

I paraphrase- simply to encourage an open discussion on this topic- a recent Newsweek pool (yeah, they’re still good for some information once in a while) shows White Democrats with high scores on a Racial Resentment index (bigots) break out this way: 61% have less than a 4 year degree; 44% are over 60 and 46% live in the South.

Since Bigotry is personal and racism is generally institutional, I suggest we fund compulsory 4 year college degrees for all citizens, take the 44% over sixty and ship them to Idaho, and allow the south to secede once and for all. Then we’ll be on our way to a character driven society where the brightest and best, and the not so bright and best can be judged on their abilities and skills and not categorized by superficial standards like pigmentation.

Post Sat May 24, 2008 12:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

But Tricky, what will we do with all the Black bigots in the meantime?? and if you do eliminate all white racists over 60 wouldnt that pretty much wipe out all the Democrat house members as well as Senators. Laughing

Post Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Idaho Senator Robert Byrd......................

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 24, 2008 2:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am just kidding!!!!! Smile Smile

Post Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

I won’t dispute that there is institutionalized racism within the Senate and House that includes chronologically challenged Democratic Senators and House members. At least the Democratic Party has dialogue and diversity. Regarding Republicans, I am reminded of a story my brother, late of Grayling told me- “Mutha- we don’t have a race problem here- you know why- because this is an all white town.”

Post Sat May 24, 2008 4:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Since your gonna send all them old white bigots to Idaho where you planning on sending theses clowns.???? Laughing

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Devil's Advocate Material:
First and foremost we can discuss the usage of stats....don't rightly believe in 'em. 4/3 of people don't understand fractions. Smile

This helps to encourage the use of labels in this scenario. Now when people look at a person that is over 60 with a Southern accent are they going to automatically assume that they are bigots, because a Newsweek article touted those stats? They look at a person and label them because of something they read and not get to know the person?

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:06 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I sure miss "Last Time Here". Very Happy

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I have been thinking the same thing....he was a hoot.

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]I am reminded of a story my brother, late of Grayling told me- “Mutha- we don’t have a race problem here- you know why- because this is an all white town.”
quote:

Not only that but their is a total lack of Homicides, drive by shootins, and armed robberys why the hell would anyone want to live there. Confused Rolling Eyes

Post Sat May 24, 2008 6:28 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

I only silently judge them when they are over 60, have a southern accent and haven’t earned a four year degree…

Post Sat May 24, 2008 8:45 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Devil's Advocate Material:
First and foremost we can discuss the usage of stats....don't rightly believe in 'em. 4/3 of people don't understand fractions. Smile

I always say...there are 3 kinds of people in this world: Those that are good with numbers and those that aren't.

Also...87.3 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

Oh...and another all time favorite:

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:08 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

My post was meant both for levity and discussion. Rather disappointing that racial bigotry and institutional racism cast gloom on a promising agent of change like Barack Obama.

Those who know me know I would never condone isolation of people for their beliefs, or severing of sovereign states (well- maybe South Carolina) but I do support a cooperative between government and business to make four year degrees more possible.

Certainly there are bigots on different sides of the aisle. Many have issues with Al Sharpton, especially his association with Tawana Brawley. Sweet irony that he may be related to Strom Thurmond. Others condemn David Duke. The Southern Poverty Law Center, led by Morris Dees aggressively fights hate crimes based on race, regardless of the perpetrators.

The key is education and ecomonic opportunity, be it through the free market, social engineering or a combination thereof. Though I have no statistics presently Grand Blanc boasts a fairly diverse population including many middle class minorities. There are no drive by shootings. Few, if any armed robberies (don’t kid yourself- there have been armed robberies in Grayling), one home invasion in the last one and one half score, virtually no homicides in years, and one of the best public school systems in the state. Not a utopia, but a good model.

Finally, just to turn my own argument on its own head- there is a quote attributed to Mark Twain, but with some research it may have been originally stated by Benjamin Disraeli- “There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:50 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
tricky mutha schreef:
My post was meant both for levity and discussion. Rather disappointing that racial bigotry and institutional racism cast gloom on a promising agent of change like Barack Obama.

Change can be good and change can be bad. If peope only care about change than they shouldn't care if people change their votes when they get to the democratic convention and act as agents of change to change the course of the election.

You could argue that David Duke also argues for change and is with Obama on the war. Does Obama also hate Jews and not want to protect Israel?

Link
Post Sat May 24, 2008 11:11 pm 
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

So are you telling me you support the views of David Duke?

Post Sun May 25, 2008 12:16 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: