FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Ambulance System

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

There was a study completed about 2 years ago pertaining to restructuring the Ambulance system for Genesee County, it is a 55 page document, but I found an excerpt in page 50 of the 55 page .pdf document.

Quote from http://www.gchd.us/ReportsAndData/Reports/AmbulanceTransportOptionAnalysisReport.pdf

Genesee County Health Department Website:
"The two provider, two zone, integrated emergency and non-emergency system design fails to provide sufficient revenues to cover operation. Based on the experience with the two zones, two provider model, it is not worthwhile to develop a model with additional zones and/or providers."

So it's about money? <shrug>

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:06 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

In 96, when my wife got hurt - I've talked about it here before - the Fire Department ambulance & paramedics got here within 5 minutes after I called 911. About 4 years ago, a little boy was hit by a car on our street. The ambulance showed up 1 hour after we called 911!! The boy wasn't hurt bad, but we didn't know that at the time. If we hadn't been afraid to move him, we could have driven him ourselves.

This can't be allowed to continue! Maybe if one of the City or County big shots needs an ambulance & can't get one something will be done.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks be to God that I have only had to use the ambulance system twice for my girl. In my jurisdiction we have volunteers and ambulance service and Genesee County Sheriff and the police department. They responded in literally minutes. Of course my timing is skewed, due to the fact that all of my judgment went out of the window, because it was my child that was involved. Anyway, I digress.

I was informed by a very reliable source that there are two "Fitch Reports". The one that I posted was the second report.

To me, city and rural ambulance needs cannot be combined, due to the population and road system that is in place. For instance, of course it would take longer in the rural settings due to the condition of gravel roads in the Spring. May take longer in the city due to traffic congestion after regular business hours. This is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.

City of Flint is the biggest city in Mid Michigan and should be able to monitor itself without oversight from Commissioners that are from the outbound areas and vice versa.

Don't know, things just aren't adding up......figuratively and literally. I could be beating a dead horse, but yet this is the county that we are talking about. Have they done anything constructive with the Senior Millage monies that they have been collecting? I haven't been following it, only reading what is in the Journal which hasn't been exactly positive or glowing. Can we trust the County govt. to manage an ambulance system, when they are not distributing the funds as the public anticipated with the Senior millage?

Too many unanswered questions!! My opinion.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:56 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

My daughter is a paramedic in Saginaw. She has listed for me multiple examples of where Genesee's County is seriously deficient' What this county needs is a single provider serving the entire county from decentralized stations.

Here are some of the problems I have heard---(and I heard these after paramedics left my dad without even checking his blood sugar--he was a diabetic---and he was admitted the next day and died). In this county there is no system in place to pinpoint the nearest ambuance when a 911 call comes in. The 911 operator must start at the top of the list of "possible" responders and continue down the list until finding an available responder. In Saginaw, by contrast, 911 medical calls are automatically transferred to a trained operator who can assist in the emergency until a unit arrives---and an available unit is instantly located through an on-board satellite system that pinpoints exactly the location of each unit and whether it is or is not on a call.

This is my favorite nightmare tale though. In all but two counties in this state a patient can be pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner is notified who confirms the passing and signs the death certificate. The family then contacts a funeral home if "suspicious" conditions are not susopected. Aaaah, not here. Here the medics transport to a hospital emergency room where the person is pronounced dead (hospital bill for the survivors, trauma for the family since they are held hopeful.) After that the family must contact a funeral home to have the decedent removed. It's a money making scam---does anyone believe a decapitated accident victim "might be alive"?

Someone's got their hand in the pot---I just don't know who.
Post Mon May 19, 2008 9:42 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: