FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Sharpton incites once again.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sharpton vows to 'close this city' after officer acquittals
2008-04-26 20:08:50
By VERENA DOBNIK Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of angry people marched through Harlem on Saturday after the Rev. Al Sharpton promised to "close this city down" to protest the acquittals of three police detectives in the 50-shot barrage that killed a groom on his wedding day and wounded two friends.

"We strategically know how to stop the city so people stand still and realize that you do not have the right to shoot down unarmed, innocent civilians," Sharpton told an overflow crowd of several hundred people at his National Action Network office in the historically black Manhattan neighborhood. "This city is going to deal with the blood of Sean Bell."

Sharpton was joined by the family of 23-year-old Sean Bell — a black man — and a friend of Bell who was wounded in the 2006 shooting outside a Queens strip club. Two of the three officers charged were also black.

The rally at Sharpton's office was followed by a 20-block march down Malcolm X Boulevard and then across 125th Street, Harlem's main business thoroughfare, where some bystanders yelled out "Kill the police!"
Fifty of the marchers carried white placards bearing big black numbers for each of the police bullets fired at Bell and his friends.

Sharpton urged people to return for a meeting this coming week "to plan the day that we will close this city down" with the kind of "massive civil disobedience" once led by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

"They never accused Sean Bell of doing anything. Then why is he dead?" Sharpton asked, his voice roaring with anger. Authorities "have shown now that they will not hold police accountable. Well, guess what? If you won't, we will!"

"Shut it down! Shut it down!" the crowd chanted, standing up and applauding wildly.

Sharpton didn't say exactly how they would protest the acquittals of the officers who fired the 50 shots. He said Bell's supporters could demonstrate all over the city, from Wall Street to the home of Justice Arthur Cooperman, who on Friday acquitted the three detectives after a nonjury trial.

Sitting behind Sharpton as he spoke were Bell's parents, his sister and Nicole Paultre Bell, who took her fiance's name after his death.

"The justice system let me down," Paultre Bell told the crowd in a soft voice. "April 25, 2008: They killed Sean all over again. That's what it felt like to us."

It was her first public comment since she stormed out of a courtroom Friday after the NYPD detectives were cleared in Bell's killing as he left his bachelor party.

One of Bell's companions, Joseph Guzman, also spoke briefly on Saturday, saying: "We've got a long fight."
See more stories in this category
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. What does the charge inciting a riot mean and what will happen?

A. Under federal law, a riot is a public disturbance involving an act of violence by one or more persons who are assembled in a group of at least three people. The act of violence must be one that presents a clear and present danger of injury to another person or damage to another person\\\'s property. Threatening to commit a violent act in such a group situation that could injure another person or damage property is also considered a riot if one of the persons in the group has the ability at the time to carry out the threatened violence.
Inciting a riot applies to a person who organizes, encourages, or participates in a riot. It can apply to one who urges or instigates others to riot. It does not apply to someone who merely advocates ideas or expresses beliefs, if those ideas and beliefs do not involve advocating violence.

The federal crime of inciting a riot carries a possible penalty of up to five years in prison a fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OUJI-CR 6-59

INCITEMENT TO RIOT - ELEMENTS

No person may be convicted of incitement to riot unless the State has proved beyond a reasonable doubt each element of the crime. These elements are:

First, action/conduct;

Second, that with the intent to cause, aid, or assist the initiation/continuation of a riot;

Third, urged other persons;

Fourth, to commit [acts of unlawful force/violence]/[the unlawful burning/ destroying of property]/[the unlawful interference with a (police/peace officer)/fireman/ (member of the Oklahoma National Guard)/(a member of a unit of the armed services) who was officially assigned to riot duty in the lawful performance of his duty];

[Fifth, the defendant's act/conduct created a clear and present danger of imminent unlawful action.].

A riot is defined as any use of force or violence, or any threat to use force or violence if accompanied by immediate power of execution, by 3 or more persons acting together and without authority of law.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:56 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

He didn't yell it though. Sorry, I share their outrage, and I don't see what he did wrong.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

"He wants to be remembered as the guy with the funny lines rather than a racial provocateur who smeared an innocent man during the Tawana Brawley hoax and built his New York notoriety on race hatred. "We will not stand by and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business," Sharpton said in a 1995 Harlem controversy over a Jewish storeowner who had a conflict with a black rival neighbor. A protester in that case eventually shot his way through the store and burned the place down, killing eight people" .

It aint over yet. Isnt "shutting the city down" sort of what Osama had in mind? I wonder what would happen if us caucasian folks decided to shut down or burn down something everytime a verdict was reached that we didnt agree with? Like in say the OJ fiasco. By the way you either have to get a computer at home or start working 7 days a week cause the forum is pretty dull when your not on line. Wink Laughing Laughing

Last edited by twotap on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

quote:
the forum is pretty dull when your not on line.

Oh Demeralda I miss you. Oh Demeralda I need you. Oh Demeralda you're the best.

Sheesh Tap. Get a grip!

You're flirting is turning this forum into Night at the Roxbury.

Laughing
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I figured that would bring ya out from behind the desk. Wink Where ya been? Laughing

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I know you don't think liberals actually work but I've been very busy lately. Head coach and general manager of a spirited t-ball team. Dance classes on wednesdays (my daughter not me)I've done a lot of planting in the yard and Our third is due in seven days.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dance classes on wednesdays
You in a TUTU. Laughing Laughing Laughing

quote:
Our third is due in seven days.
Congrads let us know when it happens. Very Happy

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:36 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
I know you don't think liberals actually work but I've been very busy lately. Head coach and general manager of a spirited t-ball team. Dance classes on wednesdays (my daughter not me)I've done a lot of planting in the yard and Our third is due in seven days.

A little Squash?! Do I get to do the welcome wagon thing on the board? What kind of squash? Acorn? Spaghetti? Smile Smile

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Zucchini.

Thanks very much.

We're hoping for Cinco de Mayo. (ya know, cultural diversity and all Wink )
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I had to restrain myself when Squash said he had been planting seeds in the yard. Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Squash:

***Zucchini.****

God bless you. Smile

All of the best, I have three of them, you are now officially outnumbered!! Smile

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
I had to restrain myself when Squash said he had been planting seeds in the yard. Laughing Laughing

I wonder if there is any dirt we can dig up on that scenario. Smile

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

TwoTap, what do you think about the Flint public schools situation? Or the Mayor's budget? Or the proposals for Chevy in the Hole? Your positions on police infallibility, African American church leaders and LIBS are well documented. Do you have opinions on actual local issues? This is Flinttalk.com not FanningFlames.com, right?

Perhaps when 2tap (or anybody) posts this obvious race-baiting crap, we should just ignore it and not provide them with what their needy, hate-fueled thought processes falsely interpret any reply to be: affirmation

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey you do whatever makes ya happy PD. I believe the title of this forum is Political Talk not Flint political talk as shown by some of the longblogs and threads that are put up by those you happen to agree with as well as yourself.. Of course we need to remember the only person whose opinion counts as to whats appropriate for the forum would be the owner who last time I checked you aint it.. I myself have started to disregard any of your copbashing, republican hating, big business trashing, Blame America First, PD has all the answers threads as just more crap from, well a cop hating lib and of course you can always do what I do with your threads,disregard mine. Heres one I saved just for
you enjoy. Laughing

And heres a quick little update whoever decides to post whatever it aint gonna matter cause I just watched on the HD history channel that according to the Mayans its all over on Dec. 21 2012. Laughing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

quote:
planting seeds in the yard

Actually I was erecting trees.
(sorry I'm not as good at the double entendre)
Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: