FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Food Rationing begins to arrive in the U.S.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_bi_ge/wal_mart_rice

BENTONVILLE, Ark. - Sam's Club, the membership warehouse division of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., is limiting how much rice customers can buy because of what it calls "recent supply and demand trends."

The broader chain of Wal-Mart stores has no plans to limit food purchases, however.

Sam's Club says it will limit customers to four bags at a time of Jasmine, Basmati and long grain white rice. Rice prices have been hitting record highs recently on worries about tight supplies.

Sam's Club's restriction is effective immediately at all locations where quantity restrictions are allowed by law. It does not apply to other staples such as flour or oil.
Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Christ Enrichment Center in Flint has been asking for donations of bagged flour and sugar for their pantry for families in need, wonder how the donations of rice are going to be effected.

Thanks for that information!!!

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:11 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.soyatech.com/news_story.php?id=8027

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The (KRT) -- April 24, 2008 -- Simple Soyman, a Milwaukee producer of tofu, may go out of business if the company can't find the soybeans it needs to make its product.

"Today I called nineteen different suppliers, from Ontario to Dakota to Ohio to Tennessee," said Barbara Gruenwald, who owns the business with her husband, R. Jay. "Nobody has any." The Gruenwalds thought they had an order locked in with a Wisconsin mill, but when they went to pick up the beans, they were told there was no order for them, Barbara Gruenwald said. The Gruenwalds believe that the problem resulted from a mistake by a mill employee who no longer works there.

The problem is exacerbated by a national shortage of soybeans, because companies in Japan and China are buying U.S. beans, Barbara Gruenwald said.

"The dollar is very low," she explained, and that makes U.S. crops attractive to foreign buyers. On Wednesday, the dollar rose against other currencies, taking back some ground a day after the euro topped $1.60 for the first time.

After all the calls Wednesday, Gruenwald found one batch of soybeans that had been rejected by the Japanese buyer, for a price that is double what Simple Soyman paid for its current batch of organic beans.

Simply Soyman has been in business for 25 years, making tofu from organic soybeans grown in Wisconsin. The company has had eight employees who make and deliver tofu to local co-op grocers and Milwaukee-area restaurants, and to several Madison supermarkets, including Copps, Woodman's, Sentry and Cub.

The Gruenwalds have options that may keep them in business. One would be to switch to non-organic soybeans until a new supply of organic beans can be found. Barbara Gruenwald isn't sure if her customers will want a non-organic version.

Another option would be to stop supplying restaurants and continue to make only packaged tofu for grocers with the current supply of beans. Cutting out bulk restaurant sales will leave them with enough beans on hand to last until August.

The Gruenwalds found a Wisconsin farmer willing to plant a crop of organic soybeans for them, which would be available in November. But the farmer called to say he was having the same problem buying seeds that the Gruenwalds have had buying beans: None are available.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: