FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint schools to slash 137 jobs and close four schools

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/04/flint_schools_to_slash_137_job.html

FLINT, Michigan -- Four Flint schools will close, and about 240 district staff will get layoff notices after the Flint Board of Education on Wednesday approved its proposed 2008-09 budget.
District officials said the drastic staff cuts and school closures were needed to prevent a $12-million budget deficit while maintaining school programs and services.

"They're tough decisions, but we have to make them so we can be financially solvent," said Superintendent Linda Thompson. "It's one of those things you have to do that's not pleasant, but tough calls have to be made."

The board voted 6-2 to approve the proposed budget that called for slashing 137 jobs, as well as the closure of Gundry and Cummings elementaries, Johnson Accelerated Academics Academy and Whittier Classical Academy.

Flint Journal map of schools being closed:
map

Map Key:
1. Gundry Elementary School, 6031 Dupont St.
2. Johnson Accelerated Academics Academy, 5323 Western Road
3. Whittier Classical Academy, 701 Crapo St.
4. Cummings Elementary School, 2200 Walton Ave.
Joe L. McMobley II and Stephanie Robb-Martin cast the dissenting votes.

But many of the nearly 100 concerned parents, residents and educators who showed up for the scheduled 7 p.m. meeting didn't stay for the final decision.

The board started its regular meeting two hours late, at 9 p.m. , after committee meetings lasted longer than expected.

The delay frustrated some attendees who thought it was disrespectful.

"That was a smack in the face to residents who came there with concerns," said Quincy Murphy, who brought the issue up to board members. "They're talking about making a final decision to close schools, and you hold them up for two hours, and that was wrong."

Becky Johns, mother of two Central Academy students, attended the meeting but left before a decision on the budget was made.

Johns, who circulated a petition to keep Central's principal -- whose job was among those planned to be cut -- said she sympathizes with the board's struggle.

"It's really easy to look into someone's house and say they should spend their money in a different way," said Johns, 35. "Am I disappointed with some elements? Yes. But overall, I think this is a really big direction they've taken. If they can be trusted in the future with other decisions, then it's important to take this plan and make it work and win over the people who are skeptical."

The district planned to save nearly $11 million through staff cuts, most of which are teachers, and $2.5 million through the school closings.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:29 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

A while back on this forum I suggested that home schooling might be a good way to go and in fact is gaining popularity. Of course that was deemed a bad idea from some because they claimed their kids would not receive a "diverse education". Well with the closing of these sheltered from the riff raff type of schools ill guarantee ya those displaced students are about to get a real "diverse" education. Maybe that home schooling idea aint such a bad idea after all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flint school closings, layoffs draw fire from parents and students
by Sally York | The Flint Journal
Thursday April 17, 2008, 7:07 PM" Some students at Whittier, a middle school built in 1925, said they dread being moved to Central.
"We're the best school in Flint," said eighth-grader Ashleigh Lewis, 14. "Putting us in Central will cause major problems as far as safety issues and the environment.

"There will be animosity because they think we're nerds."

Whittier eighth-grader Jasmine Cofield, 13, offered a solution: "I suggest they put us in an elementary school that's already empty.""
Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:26 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

i SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THAT MEETING.

I'm wondering how many administrators were cut?
Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Not enough.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

...as long as Coolidge School isn't on the list.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
...as long as Coolidge School isn't on the list.

Pay no attention...until it is your school.
Then you will say,"not my school" and No one will pay attention.
as long as their school is not on the list.

My school was not on the "list" and was 16th down the line to be closed.
The list changed and mine went to the top. AHH... politics.
Sobey was closed in 2003 , fed funds had just been spent to improve the facility, school was making AYP. School Board said that was not a factor.

Coolidge was also on the short list to be closed, due to the condition of the facility. Coolidge is the only elementary to excel in all five educational areas and is State recognized. Fed funds went to improve the roof of that building as it was slated to close the next year.

NOTE: School closings are not a done deal until June when the board has to submit a balanced budget.
A five/four majority vote can turn down the current school closing list and a new list can be pulled out of the hat.
It has been done before but not likely this year.

Coolidge may very well be on a large list to close in the next year.
Despite academic record of excellence.

Charter schools feed off from loss of FCS elementary students. It costs much more to provide required classes 7-12, especially 9-12.
Charters make a profit k-6.

Closing elementaries rather than a High School costs FCS much more in the long run. Those k-6 students would feed into the high schools but leave due to closings and perception of unsafe schools.

FCS faces much political opposition to close a high school due to former alum. Though closing one high school would save the district more. Each time they close an elementary is decimating a community and loses
students that would feed into the high schools.

Never for 1 minute think your school is not on the list there will be MANY MORE! We have half the enrollment for all the remaining facilities.

Yes , your school will be next so pay attention now before it is a done deal.

Peace,
Rap

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:13 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I read one article where a woman whose child attended Cummings said that they were going to move to Grand Blanc if Cummings closed. For those who can afford to move, (and there may be more than in the past because house prices are so low), the suburbs may see an increase in school enrollment.

But yes, I think someone could probably be faily successful if they purchased one of the closed school buildings and opened another charter school.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:14 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Great post, Rap!

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: