FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee County Rep Dave Robertson wants to help families

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/michigan_representative_dave_r.html

FLINT, Michigan -- State Rep. Dave Robertson, R-Grand Blanc, wants to put money back in the pockets of Michigan citizens.

Along with Rep. John Stahl, R-North Branch, and Phil Pavlov, R-St. Clair Shores, Robertson was expected to announce a plan this morning to repeal the income tax increase passed in the fall.

The income tax was raised in October from 3.9 percent to 4.35 percent in hopes of pulling Michigan out of a $1.75-billion budget deficit.

The representatives' plan was expected to be announced at 10:30 a.m. today (April 14) at the Genesee County Board of Commissioners Auditorium, 1101 Beach St., Flint.

The tax increase has cost each Michigan family an average of $300, according to Robertson.

"Michigan families are simply paying too much in taxes," Robertson said. "At a time when home foreclosure is so high, when the economy is facing so many problems, when everyone is trying to fill up their gas tanks, it's just too much."

But to Michelle Taylor, repealing the tax doesn't make sense. The state is in too much economic turmoil to cut taxes, she said.

"The state budget is pretty messed up," said Taylor, 51, of Grand Blanc. "I think (the state) needs that income. If they find a way to replace it, great. Otherwise, I'm not so sure about it."

Robertson said the answer to the budget crisis is not to raise taxes, but rather to cut spending, and the new plan will do just that, he said.

The plan proposes a cap on how many months someone can receive welfare, removes 19- and 20-year-olds from Medicaid and privatizes prison services.

For Michael Mitchell, the plan comes at the right time.

"It sounds great to me," said Mitchell, 42, of Grand Blanc. "Everyone is struggling because of the economy. I need that money back."

Everyone needs that money back, Robertson said, which is why the plan was introduced.

"It's a tough time for everyone," he said. "We hope this will help out a bit."

Steven Mallenbach said he thinks the representatives who introduced the plan are using the wrong philosophy to fix the economic problem.

"Isn't the state already in a recession?" said Mallenbach, 26, of Grand Blanc. "The state is in more trouble than I am. What if everyone leaves? How are they going to charge an income tax if there is no one in the state?

"I was mad when the tax was passed, but it hasn't made that much of a difference in my life," he said. "I'd like to see Michigan come back to life again. (The state needs) to get out of debt somehow.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Jobs for everyone!!!!!!

<looking around, scratching head>

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: