FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Public Library online Database

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Anyone here access the FPL online Databases from home? You're supposed to be able to log in from home with your library card number and access code, but when I do that I get another popup asking me for a user ID and password. I've tried clearing cookies and two different browers. When this happened before, librarian said it should work (that is, shouldn't be asking for the user ID and password). I can log into my account but not the databases. I can try calling again tomorrow but I think I'm going to have to go into the library to see why it's asking for user ID and password.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm 
FlintCat
F L I N T O I D

Which database specifically? There are a limited number available to us at home versus all the ones in the library... It could be a database unavailable from home
Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:26 am 
Rick@FPL
F L I N T O I D

http://www.fpl.info/reference/dbdescriptions.shtml

Databases that say 'Available only in the library' or 'Available only at Main Library' (on Kearsley St.) are the only ones not available from home. I have never heard of another popup asking for a userID and password in addition to the library card barcode and pin. If this still keeps happening, you could try to access the database if it has the Michigan eLibrary logo at mel.org
Post Sat May 10, 2008 8:44 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I was trying to use Newsbank. I think the problem is related to Symantec's Norton Internet Security on my home computer, but instructions from their tech support didn't work either. I gave up trying to access from home.

I have to say I appreciated the support and assistance from FPL staff when they tried to help me.

What programs do others of you use for internet security? My Symantec is up for renewal and I could consider others.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:49 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

We used to use that, along with ZoneAlarm which is free ware....yes free. My husband is a computer programmer. Smile He recommended that one, if you have Comcrap, you could choose theirs which is MacAfee (sp) theirs is free, we also used that one.

But, currently, we don't have anything, he upgraded us to Linux.....<grumble>

Post Sat May 10, 2008 9:35 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I use Trend Micro's PC-Cillin antivirus & firewall.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun May 11, 2008 7:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: