FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Gary Flinn's articles in Your Magazine

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

For those who have read my Blackstone's article in the February issue of Your Magazine, how is it? Those I know said they love it. For future issues..

March--Dort Highway (because Western Road was a misleading name)
April--Flint Faience Tile
May--General Motors' fleet of Futurliners
June--drive-in theaters in the Flint area

The drive-in article will be different from the one I wrote in The Uncommon Sense but will utilize some of the same material and feature more visuals as I expect to get access to The Flint Journal's archives as the Journal owns Your Magazine.

Of course, if anyone has ideas for future articles, please let me know.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:55 am 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

I always enjoy your articles.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
tricky mutha
F L I N T O I D

I personally liked the article on Beer in Your Magazine. Who knew I was only sucking down cheap pilsner? That author has the Wright stuff.

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I look forward to the Flint Faience. My grandfather was involved in that business -- he made the iron frame for the tables that have those tiles.

My mother and her sisters all have a table. Of course, once my cousins heard they were collectible, they've begun to vanish...
Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:23 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The June issue is out and the subject is a heartfelt salute and tribute to the Flint area's drive-in theaters, past and present with a concern for the future with US 23 Twin DI owner Lou Warrington's health problems and his son Todd's recent death. Most family members are determined to keep that drive-in open. There is one obvious editing typo I caught which leaves the impression that Lou built the "23". Actually, he's a second generation owner as his father, also named Louis, built it. Lou's granddaughter is running the refreshment stand now and Lou's wife Diane is both caring for Lou and managing the drive-in. The planned subjects for future Your Magazine articles are:
July--Buick's 105th Anniversary
August--Hurley Medical Center's 100th Anniversary
September--the history of the local banks which evolved into Bank of America
October--WJRT's 50th Anniversary

The next planned Flinn's Journal in The Flint Journal looks at General Motors memorabilia as part of a special section of the Journal for GM's 100th Anniversary.

Last edited by Flinn's Journal on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thats great Gary, I love to read all your articles. They are very imformative and reminds me of the good ole days! I collect Flint Faience Tile, its very cool how decorative some of them are.

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
For those who have read my Blackstone's article in the February issue of Your Magazine, how is it? Those I know said they love it. For future issues..

March--Dort Highway (because Western Road was a misleading name)
April--Flint Faience Tile
May--General Motors' fleet of Futurliners
June--drive-in theaters in the Flint area

The drive-in article will be different from the one I wrote in The Uncommon Sense but will utilize some of the same material and feature more visuals as I expect to get access to The Flint Journal's archives as the Journal owns Your Magazine.

Of course, if anyone has ideas for future articles, please let me know.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

My only complaint, Gary, would be that you seem to get a little bit bogged down in old street names and locations. Sometimes it makes the reading a wee bit tedious. Totally interesting subject matter, though.

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: