FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Since this board is made up of.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

many people.Smile I thought that I would ask for some advice.

I am entering the job market, again, for the first time in 11 years. I have a job now that gives me two hours a month....whoohooo. But it's a job.

The reason that I am asking on this board is there are many people that have lived here during previous recessions that may have been laid off due to hard times.

Question: What is recommended for a person, when they are looking for a job in this type of scenario: unemployment rates sky high, everyone looking for same jobs that I apply to. Do you do the old "networking"? That seems to me like you are using someone, to get what you want...dunno. Never really been a big fan of the concept. "Hi Joe, remember me? I am looking for a job, do you know of anyone that could use a basketweaver?" Seems cold.

Then pounding the proverbial pavement when gas is at all time high? No access to bus routes, but do have vehicle.

Anyone else in same boat?

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 pm 
last time here

i am. been attempting to find something local to allow me to remain
near to my son. damn near impossible. if i were you i'd try everything
possible. network, cajoling, convincing, whatever it takes!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

my heart's with you andi03! Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:38 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
last time here schreef:
if i were you i'd try everything
possible. network, cajoling, convincing, whatever it takes!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

my heart's with you andi03! Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Yeah, what he said.

Send me a private message and let me know what you're looking for/what you've done (if you'd like) and if I know anyone looking for that I'll try to hook you up.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:31 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You know, I think that there is more to it than meets the eye with me. I have been truly and utterly blessed to be a stay at home mom for 11 years. Now that all of the little ones are in school 8 hours a day, I feel like I am not "contributing".

Although, when I first started working and I was preggo, it made sense for me to stay at home, because we would've been making practically nothing after day care, travel and clothing expenses were deducted.

I think that I just may print off some resumes and go to some temp agencies or something, if you sign up with about three of them the odds are better that I may find something.

What did you do before you retired?

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks, FC, jackie of all trades, yet master of none. Smile

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:54 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Very Happy

Last edited by twotap on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:56 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
What did you do before you retired?

Was that directed at LT? Or me?
Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Hey, FC,

That was directed towards LTH. Smile

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:11 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Oh, I have worked in shop offices before, only a wall separated me from the stamping area. Wink I think that it was the stamping area, long ago. Wink I was a secretary for a temp agency that was placed in the Suggestions Dept., I had such morning sickness, it was hard to run downstairs every 45 minutes or so, then I would get to smell the lovely smell, had no problem when I wasn't prego. Wink

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Andi, you can state your work experience in your resume, but more importantly emphasize your talents and what you like to do if you haven't been actively employed in 11 years. As you mentioned, hit the temp agencies with it. Remember the best salesperson is one who knows their product well and likes it. Selling yourself isn't any different. Would you like clerical work under direct supervision of someone else or are you more inclined to work independently in a position of responsibility?

Yes, network by all means. Church, social activities, community, local government agencies. Depends, too, on what you're looking for--money or just something to do. There are many agencies who need volunteers if you don't need the money. And, sometimes volunteer work can lead to paying positions.

I know one lady who worked for a community organization through Kelly Services. Another volunteered at a local government office and ended up on full time payroll. Anything's possible. Again, it's a matter of selling yourself and your talents. Best of luck to you!
Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 pm 
last time here

plumber, pipefitter, pipe weldor, estimator, buyer, human relations, etc...
99% out of state... gotta keep my boy in line. guide him into
manhood. Mad Mad i'd like to find something that puts me in a position
to help people...

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Constant calling and Networking.

Only two methods I've really seen work.

You can get in for an interview. But if someone else knows someone. Many times they get bonuses for hiring/recommending people. And Human Resources does tend to go with who they know.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Hey LTH,

I came across a welding position on michworks.org. Have you ever tried this one before? You can put in all sort of parameters. There are about 25 for welders within a 25 mile radius of Flint. Wink

http://www.michworks.org

You can put in any search features for a job, the welding position doesn't pay that much, but don't know what you are looking for, you don't need to say, I am lookin' for you!! Wink

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

LT did you ever consider you and your son moving out of Michigan to a more construction happening state?
Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thanks OOSL

Yeah, that's how I got my job with the township that I live in, was by volunteering, then they hired me on part time, then that led to being precinct chairman, so that helped out and that is giving me work experience along with some good references.

I took a project on from one of the activities that I am involved with, um I repaired some headstones in the Fall for quite a tidy little sum, for an "aunt"/friend of the family, actually, that gave me some satisfaction....talk about odd jobs, eh? Smile

I have put together what is called I think a functional resume, that highlights what I can do from the total work experience that I have had altogether, if I don't hear anything by the end of the week from anyone, I may revamp it again, or just create a new on altogether.

Thanks for the input, more than you know.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:12 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: