FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Where can I get wood samples for a school project?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone know where I can get free or very cheap wood samples for a class project? I need two samples each of different types of wood used in the interior of houses and furniture, like yellow pine, white pine, mahogany, rosewood, a type of maple, etc etc.

If you know where I can get some samples, please let me know. I'll probably start trolling hardware stores sometime soon,
Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Try Michigan Lumber on Clifford St. They have a lot of short cut-off pieces & if you explain what it's for, they may give you what you need.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

dave is right.!!!!!!!
do you know where it is tegan??

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Thanks! My dad is checking with someone who does woodworking too, but I will check Michigan Lumber out too.

I know where Clifford Street is in theory, but I don't know where it is on Clifford. Is it by Lippincott? or closer to 12th Street?
Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:19 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Go East on 12th from Saginaw, then right on Clifford.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

you can't miss it with daves directions. right at the railroad tracks.

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:03 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Sweet, thanks! I wonder if it is the same Lumber yard that Edmund G. Love's father used to own.... but I think that was at the end of Ann Arbor Street... I can't remember. But I will check there tomorrow!
Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Check out the size of the lumber framing those sheds. I saw perfectly clear - no knots or blemishes at all - 1x12 pine there 16 feet long, but was always afraid to ask the price.

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Heres a photo from my Grayling history book. You dont see many pine boards like this nowdays.

We live a couple of miles from the largest lumbering ghost town in Ogemaw county called Beaver Lake. It once had 7 saloons 3 hotels stores school and lots of residents. In its day they said a train passed by ever 14 minutes. Nothing remains but some holes and some remnants of foundations. I have spent many hours with a metal detector looking for old coins and relics along with out house holes for bottles. Quite a place. Flying eagle cents, silver 3 cent pieces shield nickles, many indian head cents key fobs for the hotels, jewelryfrom the ladies . Very Happy civil war era spent cartridges and several live ones. Spencer rifle shells civil war buttons. Ya never know what you might find Very Happy
Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:59 pm 
last time here

hey 2tap, what kind of detector do you have and does it discriminate
between coins and junk?? Shocked

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:23 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I have several Tesoro brand detectors two for land use and one for the water. Yes they will discriminate junk but you have to remember too much discrimintion will also cause you to lose good targets one of the first to go is gold rings. I run 0 disc. when hunting the old towns and listen for different tones coming thru the headphones. nonferrous metals like copper brass siver gold will give a smooth tone if they are away from junk while ferrous metals usually give a raspy broken signal. If you are going to be a succesful ghost town hunter you will dig junk targets but ya sure get a workout getting up and down a couple hundred times a day. Here is Tesoros home page but their are many good brands Whites, Garret to name a few. I have tried em all at one time or another avoid the bargain brands you see at Walmart Very Happy
http://www.tesoro.com/index.html
Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm 
last time here

hey, thanks a lot!!!!! Cool

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:42 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There's a lumber yard in Ohio's Amish country, Charm to be exact, that has a section of a tree trunk that's about 6ft in diameter. They put pins in different growth rings, with the year, counting backwards from the outermost ring. The innermost ring is labeled "Michaelangelo died". The slab, along with thestand they made for it, is for sale $1500.00

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: