FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Ombudsman is RETAINED!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I'm still curious as to why I wasn't at least interviewed. It could be that I have pointed out most every lie and deception that the mayor and city council have perpetrated as truth or the best option for this city.

Saving money on Tahoes over Impalas: Actually cost more which is not a savings.
Saving money by purchasing more expensive garbage trucks for out of town suppliers.
Reducing Major Crime in 2005 by increasing it 12 percent from the year before.

I don't have anything personally against any of these people. I just cannot abide with misinformation. Just tell it like it is and then let's work to fix the problem. But, that all starts with being honest about the situation from the start.
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
AdamFord schreef:
For the record I think we can eliminate Poplar from contention. There is a chance Mays might get some votes but I doubt he would be able to get enough to get selected.

Eric Mays? Give me a break!! Is this guy your buddy??
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Now, having Eric Mays as city Ombudsman... Novel idea. However, I doubt they would consider him to be friendly with the Mayor and or the city council.

That is one of the requirements that have been perpetrated as a necessity for the position. I can see being expected to be professional. This would be a great change from "Business as Usual." In Flint Professional is defined ass accepting whatever the mayor says as facts. Without Question. No matter what the Stats for the City really show? Or what Federal Investigations actually say. Then once it's been done. It is allowed to be let go on. As if nothing was ever wrong with the process in the first place.

Let me paraphrase something Terry said. ‘When you get the job. Your hated by everybody down here at city hall. But, the people love you.’ The Ombudsman job is to get to the bottom of a problem and come up with solutions. He/she is not there to win friends and influence people. Criteria for office shouldn't be whether you Love or Hate the Mayor or Council. It should be that you are a good character and integrity. Also proficient at finding and solving problems. The Ombudsman should be able to investigate a complaint, determine if it was handled properly. If not, recommend changes or resolution.

Let’s take potholes for instance. If the city doesn’t repair them. They become liable for peoples repairs. However, the city has something like three days from the time they were notified to repair the pothole before they become liable. Say, today you call about one on Davison rd. Then next week I call about the same one. Then Adam hits it the week after and it breaks his wheel and blows out a tire. Will he be reimbursed for the damage to his car? NOPE. Because, even though the city knew about the pot hole for three weeks. They have three days after notification to repair it. Well, it was over three days. But, how does Adam find that information out? He doesn’t unless there is an Ombudsman, that has been looking into the first complaint from two weeks earlier. Or the Ombudsman does an investigation into the complaint and finds out the City knew about it for three weeks.

There are a lot of complaints against the city right now from people that all have the same problem. But, because they don’t talk t each other and know that they complained. The City has deniability. They can claim they didn’t know. Unless someone can independently look into their logs and records to see when it was called in.
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Oh I'm not saying Mays would have a shot at being ombudsman. I'm just saying there could possibly be a chance the 3 council members the mayor doesn't support might hold out for someone that would be independent. Perhaps they could get another council person to go along with them to try and get a truly neutral ombudsman. I'm just guessing. It would be nice to get a neutral ombudsman. You never know perhaps that could happen. With regards to Eric Mays I guess you could call him a freind of mine. He actually seems to listen to me unlike the city council and a lot of other people. The only funny thing about Mays is he thinks he's a democrat but he supports my main business proposal of killing off the anti business ordinances in this city. One way you keep jobs from coming to Flint with anti-business ordinances. Such as the ones already on the books. Nobody wants to listen to me or Eric though. It's one thing to loose jobs to other cities and other countries but for this city to prevent job creation with asanine ordinances. I would be willing to call anyone that oposes these stupid ordinances my freind.

Mays and I have already talked about creating a small business/home based business center or something of that nature. He is very connected to community organizations. With the low cost of living in the North end I feel there could be a real potential to compete on a global sale. I'm not 100% sure but I think houses in the North end mayy be cheaper than houses in India.

I also have a tendency to listen to people more than others do. This includes people like the mayor as well as people like Eric Mays and the mother that had her kid shot execution style point blank in the head and then had the police screw up the investigation and then had the council fail to investigate the police.

Perhaps someday people in this city will realize how much I pay attention to them and actually listen to them. Perhaps then they will start listening to me.

Adam Ford
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:19 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Short note and then I gotta go. They will tell you there are things you don't know and that they did all they could do. Which is true. The council cannot do anything about the Police or their investigations. That falls squarely in the Mayors 26% rise in crime since he took office.
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:57 pm 
rapunzel

quote:
AdamFord schreef:
For the record I think we can eliminate Poplar from contention. There is a chance Mays might get some votes but I doubt he would be able to get enough to get selected.

ADAM, Wrong! As of today Poplar holds majority vote!

Steve- need case number on second case listed PLEASE!!!
3 Poplar was in fact charged with conspiracy to bribe a public officer and obtaining more than
$100 by false pretenses. Her first trial resulted in a hung jury. Poplar’s second trial resulted in
her conviction for obtaining more than $100 by false pretenses and an acquittal on the conspiracy
charge. There were no charges of any kind brought against any other Genesee County employee,
including defendants.

Due to time constraints this is almost a done deal with NO citizen input!

Please lobby council for a neutral advocate without prior bribery convictions!

I will lobby for Stephanie Robb- Martin. She is well qualified, above reproach and independent. Is not related to Chris Martin! if god is her witness this is who we need!

If there is not to be a council meeting prior to appointment, please write to talk back in the journal or any means neccessary to garner support for her or dismissal of tainted candidates.

DO THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:21 am 
AdamFord

Doesn't 6 council have to vote for the Ombudsman? I don't think Poplar will get it. The council should be informed about Poplar's conviction. I made sure of that. Gonzales for a 100% fact knows about it. I'm not sure who will get the selection but I don't think it will be Mays or Poplar. Is Stepahie freinds with the mayor?

Although the police does fall under the executive barnch. Doesn't our legislative branch have legislative, and investigative powers such as the power of subpoena investigations? Shouldn't we have checks and balances in place? If the executive branch of our governmant is failing than the legislative branch should be putting legislation and doing the investigations to counteract the failure of the executive branch right? While this is unlikely to happen when the mayor pretty much has control of the council it seems to me like they should still be willing to investigate such a horrible incident of a horribly failed assasination investigation.

Adam
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:39 pm 
Ehren Gonzales

First, I look forward to reading the comments on this site everyday. There is definately exciting discussion here. Thanks for having these exchanges on the site.

As I read your discussions, I wanted to let you all know that I take my role to appoint the Ombudsman extremely seriously. I have reviewed on two occaisions all applicant resumes (all 76). I tiered each person based on four criteria I determined from my perspective to be relevant as I try to make my choice for Ombudsman. Additionally, each interview was taped. I will be listening to the interviews over the weekend. Integrity, professionalism, courage, great communication skills and sound ethics are the characteristics I hope the person we choose will have so the office can be effective.

Funny thing is my top three 'neutral' choices thus far have yet to make it to your discussions. I believe you will be quite suprised as well as satisfied with the choice I will be pushing for 'Ombudsman' now that the office has been retained, even though I still insist this it is a luxury and not a necessity for the city to survive.

Keep up these exciting discussions.

Ehren
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

We appreciate you stopping by. I do hope to at least sometime receive an explanation of how any of those criteria don't fit myself. However, I'm thrilled to hear what your criteria is. As some of the things I’ve read from council members leaves me a bit concerned at what their criteria is.

This is about the only way. Any of us will know what you actually think. As Flint Journal reporting sometimes leaves a bit to the imagination. Or leads in a direction that the quote wasn't intended by the person who said it.
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:49 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Thank you for the comments Erhen. You are the best we have on the council.

Terry Bankert 3/3/06

Flint council plans to pick ombudsman on Wednesday
By Robert Snell
rsnell@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6302
http://www.mlive.com/fljournal/

FLINT — Fresh off voters' decision to keep the office, the City
Council will interview an assistant ombudsman from Ohio on Monday
before appointing a new person to run Flint's watchdog agency.
That appointment is expected to come Wednesday.

Kristina M. Bell, 29, an assistant ombudsman with the Dayton-
Montgomery County ombudsman's office, joins a list of 32 candidates
interviewed last week, Council President Darryl Buchanan said.

Bell's interview was delayed because city officials didn't want to
ask her to travel from Ohio until after Tuesday, when voters
rejected a proposal to abolish the office, 53 percent to 47 percent.

The new ombudsman, who must be appointed by six of the nine council
members, will serve for seven years and be paid $70,000 annually.

Former ombudsman Terry Bankert, who waged a grassroots campaign to
keep the office, is urging council members to avoid appointing a
politician.

"Citizens said they want accountability and a professional, neutral
accountability officer, an independent professional with
investigation, mediation and business skills," Bankert said.

see:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I had also heard today that the rumor that someone with a bribery conviction was not in the top three contenders.

I apologize for helping the rumor to grow.

Still my sources were pretty strong. The citizens would have been outraged and therefore destroyed the confidence we now have in the current council.

I also agree that Ehren Gonzales is the best councilperson. Who else could be his own council secretary, Ombudsman, Mott Trustee and hold a day job meanwhile doing a great job for the citizens of his ward.

$26,000 seems a bit much for a council secretary for 6 months. Still for our esteemed City Clerk being reduced to begging council for something that she believes they need is too sad!
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:46 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The vote should be interesting for 1 main reason... it is going to take six votes to put someone in that office.....

I am assuming that Wards 1-4 are going to continue to vote as a block as they have since they were elected..... Wards 5, 6, 9 will possibly vote together as well, but at the very least differently than 1-4.... which leaves Wards 7 and 8 as the swing votes....

I am hearing that there is a push for a couple of candidates by the black churches... but we'll see how that goes...

Personally, I like Tom Priuer (I think that is how you spell his last name)....

I can't wait till someone is choosen though... I already have a couple of things for them to work on.....
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
AdamFord

Poplar could have previously been in contention but it's obvious she's not now. I also heard that from a source which is why I contacted Ehren about it. It's really nice to have Ehren on board. Personally I also feel he is the best council person. He actually replies to emails and everything else unlike some of the other council people. Perhaps next time around he will be the president but that is a long ways away. I'm curious who Ehren will go for but I would probably support his choice. I'd be a little nervous if the choice comes from Buchanan though. It would REALLY be nice if we had a unanimous vote.

Perhaps if we lived in Ehren's ward Ted and I might have gotten interviewed. lol Oh well. I imagine me screwing up my resume hurt me considerably. It'd be nice if the selection could be a little longer so there could be a narrowing down of the candidates as well as community descussion but unfortunately that isn't possible.

With a well run city government that does it's job I don't see why we would even need a $200,000 budget for the office. I will really be curious to see the case load. I think a small number of complaints will be good for the city.

In the future we should also try and provide any and all assistance we can to Ehren our one and only internet council person.

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:55 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well I do need to say this. Out of all the Council people that took a stand opposed to the Ombudsman. He took it to heart. While I don't agree with any of his arguements. He has the guts to up and say what felt and what he meant. He didn't candy coat or cover up his opinion. I prefer to know where I stand with people rather than have smoke blown up my (you know what).
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:01 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: