FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Illogical Debate?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

To debate that since the office hasn’t been operating efficiently for the last 7 years, (As Spock would say) is illogical. Taking that argument, since the Mayors office isn’t running efficiently (as witnessed by the loss of 1.4 million in Grant money,) We should get rid of the Mayor’s office. (Not just the Mayor.) Or maybe since the Police dept isn’t operating efficiently or hasn’t made a dent in crime in Flint for years. We should just abolish the whole dept. No one in their “right mind” would suggest such a thing. We need to make people accountable and take action.

The Ombudsman office was allowed to fail by the former city council. The office is being recommended for removal because the mayor has suggested it. No other reason. Our city council proved by their decision to put it on the ballot. They don’t want it either. In the “Spirit of cooperation” they didn’t want to be seen by the Mayor as going against him. So they put it back on to us, the people of Flint to step up to the plate and make our desires known. Too bad we can’t do that with every problem or decision in Flint. Legislate that problems actually get solved. Here is what I mean. How can the people of Flint, legislate that the Maintenance dept run efficiently? (spending over 1.1 million to repair one garbage truck should have sent up a flag as to someone not doing their job). How can the people of Flint make a change to the charter that requires, Police to actually get out of their car and investigate crime in the City of Flint. Not just stop out in front of a house where a shooting just occurred and then drive off, because they didn’t see anyone laying on the ground bleeding or dead? I’m pretty sure that if the people of Flint were given the opportunity to vote on city contracts, we wouldn’t be having contractors that are personal friends of the Mayor getting paid to cut trees. Or we wouldn’t be buying Garbage trucks that are more expensive and from a supplier from Auburn Hills, Or we wouldn’t have been purchasing more dangerous and less efficient Tahoes, from Suski in Lansing. They would have all been given to local dealers in Flint. If we the people could have voted.

We have elections and put these people into office to look out for our best interest. I am not one that believes in recalling people because they don’t make the decisions I want them to make. Occasionally, these people we voted for will let you down. They are human. Occasionally, you will need to have someone go to bat for you on an issue of importance. Say, Your car was ticketed and you had two weeks to get it moved out of your driveway. Yet, police showed up two days later with a tow truck then arrested you for “obstruction of injustice”. So instead of taking it to court, (as is currently being done) you go to the Ombudsman, he does an investigation and finds that the City violated procedure. Recommends, correction because the city is at fault, and the correction is followed. The problem is solved. Instead what we have now. Is the city being sued, and having to waste even more money on fighting it in court.

We have needed this office to be functioning for some time. But, because it has become a political issue, and not an accountability issue, or a “good government issue”. It was allowed to left in disarray. I believe this can be the silver lining in the cloud. Maybe if we get lucky. The council will appoint a effective Ombudsman. I can see many more working class people leaving the city in the future. Because, of ineffectiveness of city and how it currently treats its citizens, and lack of effective public safety. There are many policy changes, that need to be recommended and followed. Especially, when it comes to the police dept. If the Mayor isn’t interested, and the Chief isn’t interested, in making or influencing change, to cause accountability and effectiveness. Who is going to do it? They city council has no power or authority to make anyone do anything. They can only affect the budget and make referrals.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: