FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Daily reflections.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One of my conservative facebook friends sent me this quote. Guess he did not realize that Frederick Bastiat was a French LIBERAL theorist and political economist.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”

― Frederic Bastiat

It struck me that this quote so aptly defines what is occurring in downtown Flint today. the downtown groups, in conjunction with Snyder have made plundering Flint a way of life and justify their actions by their laws in opposition to the will of the people. The people vote out the Emergency Manager Act, so they create a new one that is just as onerous but do so in such a way as to defy the citizens the right to oppose it. Just as the "father in Washington" devastated many of the native tribal nations for their own good, Snyder has taken a paternalistic view that he alone knows what is good for us.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Flint Public Affairs Forum is presenting:

FLINT'S MASTER PLAN: OUR ASSETS AAND CHALLENGES

The event is Tuesday, january 22, 2013 between 5:30 and 7;00 pm at the Main Public library Reading Room @ 1026 E. Kearsley St.

Panel:

Megan Hunter, Chief Planning Officer, City of Flint

Bryant W. Nolden, Member of the Master Planning Steering Committee,
Flint council Vice President- 3rd Ward

Victoria Morckel, Assisant Professor Earth and Resource Science Dept,
UN-Flint

Jim Richardson, Flint Master Plan Steering Committee Co-chair

Moderator -Flint mayor Dayne Walling

Free to the public-refreshments provided
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hello everyone,

Planning staff is pleased to announce a new
"sub-domain"<http://advisorygroup.imagineflint.com/>page for the
Master Plan Advisory Groups. After listening to member
feedback, staff has designed a page just for advisory group materials. In
this page you will find resources for advisory groups and content dedicated
specifically for the advisory groups.. The new page can be found under
"About the Plan" -> "Advisory Groups" at imagineflint.com

City wide plans and studies can still be found under the "documents" tab of
www.imagineflint.com <http://www.Imagineflint.com>.

While you're visiting imagineflint <http://www.imagineflint.com/Home.aspx>,
we encourage you all to complete a
survey<http://www.imagineflint.com/GetInvolved/Survey.aspx>,
create a map <http://www.planningmapper.com/home.asp?CommunityID=46>, or
share your ideas on mindmixer <http://ideas.imagineflint.com/>. These
tools are valuable mechanisms for us to gain the broadest possible feedback
during the planning process.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and thank you all for
your support!

Kevin

--
Kevin Schronce
*Associate Planner*
City of Flint
Phone 810-766-7426
Ext. 3028
kschronce@cityofflint.com
www.imagineflint.com
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Woodrow Stanley newsletter

Welcome to my e-newsletter! I am excited about this opportunity to share with you some of the important work I am doing on your behalf in Lansing and throughout the 34<sup>th</sup> District. I want you to be aware of what's going in your state government. I am humbled by the responsibility you have entrusted to me as your state representative and will do all that I can to ensure that our district and state achieve success for every citizen.

**Tragedy in Newtown: A Discussion of School Safety Warranted**

Last week, a very tragic and devastating turn of events occurred in the small town of Newtown, Conn., that has caused our nation to re-examine how we can prevent such horrible events in the future. My sincerest thoughts, prayers and sympathy go out to the families and friends who lost loved ones that day. As a grandfather and father, I share your concern over the safety of our children and cannot imagine the grief the residents of Newtown are going through.

A few hours before this terrible event, the Michigan Legislature took up a bill that would allow those who hold concealed carry weapon (CCW) permits to carry conceal weapons into weapon-free zones, such as schools, day cares, churches and public arenas. However, earlier this week, Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed Senate Bill 59 because it did not provide schools in Michigan with the option of remaining gun-free zones if they chose.

I voted against this legislation because I feared the unintended consequences of allowing firearms in gun-free zones, such as schools. As the recent events in Newtown have shown, our nation has embarked on a discussion on the future of gun rights, the Second Amendment, and how to best address the issue of safety in our schools and public safety in general. As this issue is discussed further, I would like to hear what you think of this legislation, so please do not hesitate to share your thoughts.

**Stanley Holds Town Hall on School Violence**

I will be speaking at a town hall event to discuss the issue of violence in schools. The event will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Jan. 14 in the auditorium of Potter Elementary School, 2500 N. Averill Ave. in Flint.

**House Democrats Fight Right-to-Work Legislation**

I recently joined with my House Democratic colleagues and several Republican representatives and voted against bills that make Michigan a right-to-work state. Rather than improving the workplace, I believe these bills could drive down wages and make it even harder for middle-class workers to support their families. Particularly troubling to me was the way House Bill 4003 and Senate Bill 116 were rushed through the Senate and House chambers. The bills had no committee hearings or debate so the public was unable to give their opinion of these bills. More than 12,000 union members and residents came to the Capitol to urge their legislators to speak against the bills; instead, they were met with mounted police and state troopers in riot gear. In addition, a $1 million appropriation was added in order to make it impossible for voters to challenge these bills at the ballot box. I am dismayed that in the final weeks of this lame duck session, the majority party rushed through new laws that could have severe consequences for workers across Michigan in both the public and private sectors.

**Opposition to New Emergency Manager Bill**

After Michigan's emergency financial manager (EFM) law, Public Act 4, was repealed, the majority party sponsored new legislation re-creating a new emergency manager system and rushed it through the legislature and to Gov. Rick Snyder's desk during the final days of session this month. I joined my Democratic colleagues and voted against SB 865. The new law creates a new act known as the Local Financial Stability and Choice Act, replacing Public Act 72 of 1990 and PA 4 of 2011. This will again allow the state to go into troubled communities and school districts and appoint their own chosen person to run local government or a school district. This person will be able to make significant changes in contracts and the way cities and school district are run without any real accountability to the residents of these communities. To my dismay, this bill also included 2 token appropriations of $750,000 and $5 million to the Department of Treasury to administer this new system. What these appropriations do is prevent the voters from initiating a referendum on these bills.

**PPT Elimination Could Prove Troublesome To Communities**

One of the final actions taken by the Legislature in this session was the elimination of the Michigan Personal Property Tax. This is a tax that is levied on commercial and industrial personal property owned by businesses such as machinery, computers, and other items used by business and industry. The elimination of the personal property tax would drain hundreds of millions from the state budget. House Bills 6022 and 6024-6026 passed the House by a slim margin with all Democrats voting against the package. As passed, businesses will be exempt on all new personal property tax from local taxation as of Jan. 1, 2013. My colleagues and I called for a guarantee of replacement revenue since, according to the House Fiscal Agency, state and local governments stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, with the major impact starting in fiscal year 2016. The bills aim to phase in the elimination over the course of 10 years with the intent of softening the blow. I believe that it was wrong to rush these bills through the lame duck session without the proper vetting, and without consideration of the consequences.

**Need Help With Your Utility Bills?**

Winter heating bills can be a hardship for those living on a fixed income or are between jobs. If you, or people you know, are struggling to pay your heating or electric bills, you may qualify for assistance. Customers needing assistance can dial 2-1-1, a service that can quickly put people in touch with agencies that may be able to help. The 2-1-1 line staff specializes in linking people to appropriate community and state resources and can help people locate a specific service or secure basic needs. The 2-1-1 line operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are confidential and answered with respect, empathy and compassion.

Winter heating bills can seriously impact your household budget if family members aren't conscious of their energy usage. The Michigan Public Service Commission website offers a number of tips on how to use energy wisely. We all need to "Be WinterWise" even though natural gas prices appear to be relatively stable while propane and heating oil prices are a function of the weather.

Investigate the following tips at [http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpsc/energyassistance\_389439\_7.htm][1] to ensure a warm and cozy winter.

Shut-Off Protection: Senior citizens, low-income customers and military personnel may qualify for shut-off protection through various programs. Contact your utility company.

Plan Ahead: Many utility companies have Budget Billing Plans that can spread out your peak winter heating bills, allowing for a more affordable monthly bill during the heating season. Contact your utility company to find out if they offer Budget Billing.

Use Energy Wisely: Reduce your energy use. More information on ways to conserve can be found by visiting the Michigan Public Service Commission website at [http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpsc/energyassistance\_389439\_7.htm][1].

Low-income families may qualify for assistance through a number if state program through the Michigan Department of Human Services (MDHS). For help with utility bills, visit the MDHS website at [http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453\_5531\_62127\---|,00.html][2]. You must meet income eligibility levels and you are required to pay a portion of your bill. The department also offers help with weatherization. Visit the website at [http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453\_5531\_62128\---|,00.html][3] for more information and for eligibility criteria.

**House Passes Anti-Dog Fighting Bills**

My House colleagues and I approved legislation designed to stop animal fighting by going after property involved in animal fighting and adding racketeering charges to the tools law enforcement can use to stop this activity. Senate Bills 356 and 358 and House Bill 5789 would make property involved in animal fighting subject to forfeiture, would allow for places where animal fighting occurs to be declared a nuisance and subject to closure or removal, and would add racketeering to the charges organizers of animal fighting can face. These bills have all been signed into law by Gov. Rick Snyder.

**Committee Fails to Pass Health Exchange Bill**

A Senate bill that would have allowed Michigan to create its own health care exchange for residents to use to shop for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act failed in the House Health Policy Committee recently. Senate Bill 693 failed on a vote of 5-9. Michigan will now continue on the path of creating a joint state-federal health care exchange. Supporters of SB 693 argue that state officials have a better knowledge of health care in Michigan than do federal officials and so would be better able to construct an exchange to meet the needs of Michigan citizens.

**Insurance Mobile App Can Help in an Accident**

According to the Michigan State Police, there were more than 280,000 auto accidents last year in Michigan. Yet many residents are unsure of what kind of information they should share when they have an accident. The new WreckCheck mobile application can help drivers through a stressful situation like an accident. The free WreckCheck app outlines what to do immediately following an auto accident and takes users through a step-by-step process to create an accident report. This free app is available for both iPhone and Android smartphone users. For more information on filing a claim, call the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation toll-free consumer hotline at (877) 999-6442 or visit [www.michigan.gov/ofir][4].

**Michigan Offers Consumer Guide to Health Insurance**

The Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation (OFIR) is offering its new free publication to consumers. The "Michigan Consumer Guide to Health Insurance" can be accessed electronically by visiting [www.michigan.gov/healthinsurance][5] and clicking on "Health Coverage Consumer Brochures." For a hard copy, contact OFIR toll-free at (877) 999-6442.

[1]: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mpsc/energyassistance_389439_7.htm
[2]: http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453_5531_62127---,00.html
[3]: http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5453_5531_62128---,00.html
[4]: http://www.michigan.gov/ofir
[5]: http://www.michigan.gov/healthinsurance
Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The Flint Public Affairs Forum is presenting:

FLINT'S MASTER PLAN: OUR ASSETS AAND CHALLENGES

The event is Tuesday, january 22, 2013 between 5:30 and 7;00 pm at the Main Public library Reading Room @ 1026 E. Kearsley St.

Panel:

Megan Hunter, Chief Planning Officer, City of Flint

Bryant W. Nolden, Member of the Master Planning Steering Committee,
Flint council Vice President- 3rd Ward

Victoria Morckel, Assisant Professor Earth and Resource Science Dept,
UN-Flint

Jim Richardson, Flint Master Plan Steering Committee Co-chair

Moderator -Flint mayor Dayne Walling

Free to the public-refreshments provided

Jim Richardson; Jane's husband?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yes Jane's husband. Also runs farmer's market for Tim herman's group.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The east Village Magazine is an excellent resource for struggling community groups. Few, if any, neighborhoods are as well organized as the College Cultural Neighborhood Association. Ina discussion of their November 15, 2012 meeting this association discussed procedures and organization structures that could help many neighborhoods.

1) the College Cultural Neighborhood Association has a website ccnaflint.org that is an informational site for all residents. This site addresses programs, the neighborhood watch station and patrol notes.

2) Photos of crime suspects from surveillance cameras help to identify and capture criminals in the neighborhood.

3) The Michigan State Police, under the Secure Cities Partnership, have developed an anonymous crime tip form. The Neighborhoods United group is making this form available to citizens.

4) The College Cultural Association reported through Mark Fisher that the area is beginning to see an increase in home values and homes are being sold at higher prices. The average home price in theis area for Jan 1 to June 1, 2012 was $26,319, Since then the average sale price has risen by 21% to $31, 868 and outperformed county averages.

5) This Association actively tracks their housing stock. They reported 1400 homes in their neighborhood, 44 of which were for sale. The had 6 foreclosures and 13 short sales (when bank accepts an offer less than the value of the mortgage).

6) The group pays a $10 annual membership which helps payfor their projects.

7) the group actively seeks grants. Using volunteers the Association planted 33 trees in neighborhood parkways with a $2,500 grant from the Genesee Conservation District grant/

Community Foundation of Greater Flint small grant purchased a small security camera for the independently managed Neighborhood Watch Station, crime watch signs, window placards and other expenses.

The group received a health and safety minigrant from the Greater Flint Health Coalition to assist in paying the rent and utilities for the volunteer watch station for 3 months.

Donations and grants maintain the Neighborhood Watch Station.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: