FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: A Violent Summer and the violence continues!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint to use money to demolish vacant homes in high-crime areas

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 12:09 AM EDT Updated: Sep 27, 2012 12:20 AM EDT

By Andrew Keller, Multimedia Journalist - bio | email

FLINT, MI (WNEM) -
A mission to clean up crime-infested neighborhoods will soon be a reality in Flint and it's going to start with fighting blight.

Flint's Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz announced Wednesday $2.8 million will go toward leveling homes and vacant buildings in high-crime areas. A home costs about $6,000 to demolish and Kurtz said this will be enough money to clear out about 400 vacant and abandoned structures throughout the city.

"Known drug houses, places where we've had complaints on issues in the past, but again, relying on the community and the police department for input on where those areas are," said Kurtz at his weekly press briefing.

It's not hard to find the reality of a tough economy in Flint. Street blocks that once flourished are now nothing but burnt out shells of homes and boarded up buildings. But for some people, these areas are still home.

"Passing through you can't help but notice something terrible could happen because of the mentality of people," said Flint resident Asabian Jones, who lives near several abandoned homes.

Many of the vacant homes have turned into cess pools for crime.

"Just look at the homicide rate, a lot of the crime happens on the north side of Flint, so there's a lot of things that need to be done around here," said Flint resident Keith Peterson.

And residents believe that work to clear up some of the vacant homes will only help. They say clearing up some of the blight and reducing the chances for crime to happen in the abandoned homes will only make the area safer.

"The less that is here, the better the problem will be, because if there's more houses, then there's going to be more this and that," said Flint resident Lucia Chapman.

Bids to take on some of the demolition are expected in the next couple of weeks. The work is going to focus in on areas on Flint's north and northeast sides, along Pierson and Saginaw roads.

Copyright 2012 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ex-felon arrested for allegedly selling guns in Flint Please delete me! parking lot

By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
on September 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM, updated September 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

FLINT, MI -- A 35-year-old Flint man is in federal custody after authorities say he sold firearms out of his truck to a confidential informant in the parking lot of a Flint Please delete me!.

Flint Journal file photo
Authorities allege in a complaint filed in Flint federal district court Thursday that the man sold a total of six firearms to the informant on two separate occasions from his Chevrolet Silverado in the parking lot of Walgreen Please delete me! near the intersection of Ballenger Highway and Beecher Road.

It is alleged in the complaint that an informant working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives purchased a .357-caliber revolver and a .380-caliber pistol from the suspect for $800 on Aug. 30.

A second gun buy was set up after the suspect allegedly told the informant that he could obtain two AK-47 style rifles and a shotgun for the informant.

The suspect and informant met at the Please delete me! on Wednesday and the informant was able to purchase a 30.06-caliber rifle, a sawn-off .22-caliber rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun with the serial number removed and a .22 caliber rifle, the complaint alleges.

The informant paid $1,000 for the guns but was told that additional payment was needed to cover the price of the fourth gun.

He was arrested near a Mundy Township gas station near the I-75 and U.S. 23 split following a meeting for the rest of the payment, according to a federal complaint.

Several rounds of ammunition were discovered on the floorboards of the suspect's vehicle and authorities said the suspect - a convicted felon - admitted selling the guns to make extra money, according to the complaint.

The suspect was sentenced to 1-20 years in prison in 1996 for delivery of less than 50 grams of a controlled substance.

He was released on a $25,000 unsecured bond but has not yet been arraigned. A preliminary exam is scheduled for Oct. 18.

The operation was part of the ATF's Flint Violent Crime Reduction Partnership, according to records.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz announced Wednesday $2.8 million will go toward leveling homes and vacant buildings in high-crime areas. A home costs about $6,000 to demolish and Kurtz said this will be enough money to clear out about 400 vacant and abandoned structures throughout the city .

Residents in the fifth ward should be pissed off. I just heard on the radio that Kurtz is focusing on Pierson Road and the Northeast part of the city.

Granted those are crime areas, especially the area around carpenter road School. However, when you check out the murder statistics, it seems to go right down ML KIng and it's surrounding streets.

Pastor Flynn of Foss Avenue Baptist and Concerned Pastor leader, is in the Northeast quadrant. Pastor Kennedy, FACT leader whose church is by Pierson and Fleming, is obviously concerned with the violence along Pierson Road.

Is Kurtz merely trying to appease the pastors leading the dissent against the Snyder administration? He should look heaviest at where the murders are being committed.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Politics Uber Alles.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

comments

Early morning shooting victim in critical condition, Flint police say

By Andrew Averill | aaverill@mlive.com
on September 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM, updated September 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM
FLINT, MI — A man suffered a gunshot wound early Saturday morning and remained in critical condition Saturday morning, according to Flint police.

The man was found on the 4000 block of Milbourne Avenue at 1:20 a.m. with a gunshot wound.

He was taken to Hurley Medical Center, police said.

No further information was available
Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The near north side had two nights of relative quiet, but that ended last night. The area around Welch Blvd. between Dupont and ML King and north of there was riddled with shots fired. It seemed like the helicopter hovered around our area much of the night. There was an underage drinking party in the 800 block of Chevrolet and weapons shown.

It is hard to tell how far away the shots are because they seem to carry on clear nights. The 1100 block of Hamilton was involved with shootings. What happened to Shot Spotter?

Since the man was shot this morning on Milbourne, there has been another shooting in the 3400 block of keyes.

Dayton Avenue and Forest Hill, an area that frequently reports gunshots, had 2 armed M/B steal a bicycle.

River Park, part of Flint Housing, off Carpenter rd. received numerous calls for two days and was the area of many shots fired last night. It would appear the three M/B kept returning to the vicinity of the 6000 block of Cecil after they shot up the "projects".

The Regencies, another Flint Housing project off Dort and Lippincott, is also the frequent target of "shots fired" and last night was no different.

Residents in the 400 Block of Lippincott reported shots fired and believed they were from the other side of the lake. That would be the area of past gang activity between Cobras and Crips.

The east side was not left out as the 600 block of Oklahoma on Flint's east side also reported gun shots.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Violence is starting early. ASt 11:16 pm heard shots fired possibly near Dayton and Brownell.

More fights and problems in the Regencys. No wonder they call it Little Beirut.

E Carpenter and Daniel (close to River Park) there were reports of cars shooting at one another.

More problems on Keyes, Suspects in area of Sony and Keyes.
Post Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Unequal police services?

Two calls to Buckingham Alley this morning. Per Flint Police Operations reporter the second call had 5 to 6 police cars responding for a bar fight.

The only time the north end gets that many cars is a bank robbery or a shooting. But then the Flint City administration must protect downtown.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Last summer we had 3 or 4 gun battles on our street. It was next to impossible to get an officer to respond. In one case, empty shell casings lay in a driveway for a week before an officer was persuaded to pick them up. In another, after 4 days, I picked them up & still have them, AK-47 and 40 cal. rounds.

I see comments on Mlive quite frequently that if you want to see a cop, go downtown.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dave its just obamasboyz doing their thing. Wait till he gets reelected. Shocked

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Shooting on Roberts near Black about 2:30 pm today. Male victim is in fair condition at Hurley ans was transported to hospital by his mother.

Several houses were shot up and this was second time today for this house to be shot up.

Roberts is one block west of Industrial and Black is first street east off Saginaw going north on saginaw.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Received more calls and made calls. Residents in the near north end are on alert because of several shootings in north end.

Starting about 3 pm shots were fired in the vicinity of Prospect and Milbourne.

In the next half-hour there were shots fired at Sonny and Milbourne and a man was shot at by an AK47 in the 3500 block of Milbourne.

the vehicle descriptions do not match.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint police identify man in critical condition following Saturday morning shooting

By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
on September 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM, updated September 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM
FLINT, MI -- A 22-year-old man in critical condition following a shooting early Saturday morning on Milbourne Avenue in Flint has been identified by police.

Jessie Darryl Cook was found shot at 1:20 a.m. in the 4000 block of Milbourne.

He was then taken to Hurley Medical Center, where Cook was listed in critical condition.

No suspect information is available at this time.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting may call the Flint Police Department at 810-237-6800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-422-5245
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MDOC Number: 830681
SID Number: 3051862T
Name: JESSIE DARRYL COOK
Racial Identification: Black
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Date of Birth: 04/24/1990 (22)
JESSIE DARRYL COOK Image Date:
MDOC STATUS
Current Status: Probationer Supervision Begin Date: 09/14/2012
Assigned Location: Genesee/Flint/Probation Supervision Discharge Date: 09/14/2017
Security Level:
ALIASES MARKS, SCARS & TATTOOS
MATTHEW MELECHIA WASHINGTON
None

PRISON SENTENCES
ACTIVE
None
INACTIVE
None
PROBATION SENTENCES
ACTIVE
Sentence 1
Offense: Car Jacking - Attempt Minimum Sentence:
MCL#: 750.529A Maximum Sentence: 5 years 0 months
Court File#: 1027257-FC Date of Offense: 05/31/2010
County: Genesee Date of Sentence: 09/14/2012
Conviction Type: Plea
Sentence 2
Offense: Asslt w/Int Gr Bod Hrm Less Murder Minimum Sentence:
MCL#: 750.84 Maximum Sentence: 5 years 0 months
Court File#: 1027257-FC Date of Offense: 05/31/2010
County: Genesee Date of Sentence: 09/14/2012
Conviction Type: Plea
INACTIVE
None
SUPERVISION CONDITIONS
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

second victim today

SID Number: 2406107K
Name: MACK HILL PARRISH
Racial Identification: Black
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 145 lbs.
Date of Birth: 06/06/1988 (24)
MACK HILL PARRISH Image Date:
MDOC STATUS
Current Status: Discharged Earliest Release Date:
Assigned Location: Discharge Date: 04/26/2012
Security Level:
ALIASES MARKS, SCARS & TATTOOS
MACK HILL PARRISH IV
Body Piercing- Left Ear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Body Piercing- Right Ear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scar- Right Chest

Scar- Upper Right Abdomen

PRISON SENTENCES
ACTIVE
None
INACTIVE
None
PROBATION SENTENCES
ACTIVE
None
INACTIVE
Sentence 1
Offense: Controlled Substance-Maintaining a Drug House Minimum Sentence:
MCL#: 333.7405D Maximum Sentence: 2 years 0 months
Court File#: 1026549-FH Date of Offense: 06/18/2009
County: Genesee Date of Sentence: 04/26/2010
Conviction Type: Plea Discharge Date: 04/26/2012 Discharge Reason: Offender Discharge
SUPERVISION CONDITIONS
None
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: