FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: A Violent Summer and the violence continues!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint emergency manager Mike Brown and others have been relying on the promises made by Governor Snyder regarding financial help for Flint's public safety. However, Snyder has so far been unable to get his public safety plan through the legislature.

Word on the street is Mike Brown is trying to play the heavy in all of his negotiations with every union. He has publicly said there will be 100 layoffs but the fear is they will be in the police and fire departments.

The Treasurers office may have taken some more hits as I understand the bill payment center is now closed at noon on certain days.

Flint Police are already being paid lower than their counterparts in comparable cities. Does Brown actually believe they will take more cuts? if so, then he is the fool.

The rumor is fast spreading around the city that negotiations with Brown are not going well. there seems to be a certainty that Flint will lose more police and the promises made by Snyder may not happen. There may not be a city jail or the promised state police officers. Already I see less of a state police presence than I did three weeks ago.

Watch for gang activity to be on the rise as the gangs are already fighting over turf. Residents say they are fearful about the future, and believe the government does not care about their safety.

[/b]

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Just remember one thing,there are way more of us than there are of them and prepare yourselves for a long hot summer.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Labor expert: Emergency manager powers a 'no-win situation' in Flint union contract talks

Published: Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 12:38 PM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

FLINT, MI -- With the clock ticking on the Flint emergency manager's deadline for union concessions, a labor expert says both sides should remain at the table for as long as possible.

It's important for the city and the unions to take responsibility and negotiate, "rather than have a third party swoop in and make changes that ultimately both sides at the bargaining table might feel bad about," said John Beck, associate director of the School of Human Resources and Labor Relations at Michigan State University.

Flint emergency manager Michael Brown said Monday that he plans to address employee union contracts by Friday, as well as complete a proposed 2013 budget and a deficit-elimination plan for Flint.

Brown, however, said it's still too early to say whether he will invoke his power under state law to impose a contract or force contract changes on any of the six employee collective bargaining units.

Beck stressed that would be a "no-win" situation for the city and unions.

"The parties should struggle as hard as they can to make choices that everyone can live with," he said. "Sometimes its easier to depend on that person (an emergency manager) because you get to blame them and they have to make tough choices... but I think it's unfortunate because it's really about a failure.

"The responsible position is for people to work tirelessly now so they are not giving up home rule on the (employer's) side and collective bargaining on the other."

The Flint patrol officer's union president said Monday the city proposed nearly 23 percent in concessions to his members on Friday. The group rejected the offer, he said, because the city wanted a response by 5 p.m. that day.

Brown declined to discuss the details of contract talks, but said Monday that the city is still willing to meet and confer with each of the employee unions.

Kristin Longley can be reached at 810-429-5333. You can also follow her on Twitter @KristinLongley or subscribe on Facebook.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Brown is unrealistic! No one will willingly give up 23% of their pay and benefits. Underpaid now, the patrol officers cannot afford to give up more.

Word is the unions are standing their ground against brown and told him to lay off, as they have taken enough cuts. Their co-pay for their health insurance had increased greatly and as much as five-fold in some instances.

It as the State government that has reneged on revenue sharing promises made years ago in return for concessions made.

Detroit officials once told the state they would have less of a crisis if the state restored the promised revenue sharing. In my opinion the same holds true for Flint. While it would not undo some of the corruption, the lost revenue would certainly ease the financial burden placed on the city.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:02 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Union contracts targeted by Flint emergency manager as deadline looms

Published: Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 5:33 AM Updated: Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 7:24 AM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
FLINT, Michigan -- Despite a looming deadline, Flint emergency manager Michael Brown isn't revealing whether he'll exercise his power under Michigan's Public Act 4 to force changes to existing collective bargaining agreements or impose new contracts.

Brown said today he's on track to meet Friday's deadline to have union contracts, a proposed 2013 budget and a deficit-elimination plan in place for Flint.

How he plans to reach that deadline, however, isn't clear.

He declined to say whether he expects to impose changes to any of the city's six union contracts — including the four expired public safety union contracts. He said the city is still in talks with the unions.

"We have an enormous amount of work to do between now and Friday," he said. "I don't want to get ahead of the game. We're going to continue the work that we're doing."

Flint's four public safety unions -- three police and one fire -- have been operating under expired contracts for more than two years.

One of the most controversial elements of the emergency manager law is the power to impose new contracts, or even break existing collective bargaining agreements.

Roy Roberts, emergency manager for Detroit Public Schools, imposed wage cuts on Detroit teachers and other district employees last year under the law. The unions filed suit and won some of the pay back in a settlement .

Flint police Officer Terry Neeley, president of the Flint patrol officers union, said city labor counsel proposed nearly 23 percent concessions to his members on Friday afternoon, and asked for answer by 5 p.m. that evening.

Neeley said he wasn't happy with that move, and said talks with the city have been "guarded at best."

"We felt that was unfair," he said of the time frame. "How can you make life-altering decisions in two-and-a-half hours?"

Brown declined to reveal details of any Flint union negotiations ahead of having potential agreements in place. If agreements are reached, he said he would present them publicly later in the month.

Brown said the city is still willing to talk with any of the employee labor groups, including the Flint patrol officers union.

"We've been meeting and conferring with all the collective bargaining units at different levels with each one," Brown said. "We're still willing to meet and confer with any of them."

The language of Public Act 4 says an emergency manager may reject or modify collective bargaining agreements if "after meeting and conferring" with union representatives, the manager feels "a prompt and satisfactory resolution is unlikely."

Still, Brown said it's too early to speculate on whether he will invoke that portion of the law.

Meanwhile, a statewide challenge to the emergency manager law is pending in Lansing.

The coalition Stand Up For Democracy has collected more than 220,000 petition signatures in an effort to get a voter referendum of the law on the November ballot.

If more than 161,305 signatures are certified, the emergency manager law would revert back to its previous version -- which doesn't grant managers as many powers, including the authority to change collective bargaining agreements.

A decision is expected by the end of April, said Greg Bowens, spokesman for Stand Up For Democracy.

"There would be no doubt in my mind that emergency managers across the state are doing everything they can to get everything they can done now," he said. "That way, should they have to vacate, they would still have left their mark on the city."

A spokesman for the state treasurer's office, however, has said challenges to the emergency manager law are not being considered as Brown works on the city's finances.

"The outcome of current and future legal challenges cannot be anticipated and will not be a factor in the necessary decisions being made in Flint," treasury spokesman Caleb Buhs said last week. "The law supporting Mike Brown's appointment has not changed."

Kristin Longley can be reached at 810-429-5333. You can also follow her on Twitter @KristinLongley or subscribe on Facebook.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The recent court battle for the City of Flint Emergenger manager sought to nullify any and all actions taken by Emergency manager Mike Brown.

------------
From the above story:

A decision is expected by the end of April, said Greg Bowens, spokesman for Stand Up For Democracy.

"There would be no doubt in my mind that emergency managers across the state are doing everything they can to get everything they can done now," he said. "That way, should they have to vacate, they would still have left their mark on the city."

A spokesman for the state treasurer's office, however, has said challenges to the emergency manager law are not being considered as Brown works on the city's finances.

"The outcome of current and future legal challenges cannot be anticipated and will not be a factor in the necessary decisions being made in Flint," treasury spokesman Caleb Buhs said last week. "The law supporting Mike Brown's appointment has not changed."

--------------------

The State believes their actions will stay in place even if the Emergency manager Act is struck down, and that is why they refuse to consider them.

In my opinion, the unions and others will not tolerate those actions and will take them to court again.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

My sources tell me Mike Brown has been in discussions with Sheriff Pickell about trying to eliminate the Flint Police. Since the deputies probably make as muchor more than the Flint Police, it may mean less police coverage for Flint.

Plus I am told the Sheriff deputies have some very lucrative clauses in their contracts that bumps up their pay even when they are not working.

Mike Brown has been leaning on all of the unions and making threats . He seems to hope any decisions he makes now will stick.

Why is Daugherty (Duffy) Johnson still the president of Local 1799 when he has been promoted to a level above that designation. can he really speak for 1799?
Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:27 pm 
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

A long hot summer? I expect so,and have been preparing my survival gear.Flint has been a tinder box , figuratively and literaly,for some while now.What will be the spark? And what will be the response ?
Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

So Mike Brown has a tentative agreement with the Sgt.'s union.

I am told they don't have a current sgt. promotional list and individuals are being placed in provisional slots and then returned to patrol so they don't become permanent. If true, how many will really vote on the proposed contract.

Word is the patrol officers are standing their ground. They have already been hit with higher health care costs, so what more does Brown want?
Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

How about first born male child?

Buy their own gas for the Tahoes?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What will be the spark? -----I imagine anything that has to do with the Trayvon event that dosent fit the mold of obama and sharpton.

What will be the response--- hopefully people meeting violence with a show of force and putting an end to it ASAP.

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The State Police were doubled in response to the Governaor's promise for the money to open the city jail. Snyder has been unable to get his crime fighting package through the state legislature.

SO DOES THIS MEAN THE TROOPERS WILL LEAVE AGAIN?

The troopers seem to be the one factor that has reduced the murder rate. Because the State Police do not answer 911 calls, they are free to patrol and check suspicios behavior and traffic stops. They make numerous felony arrests and take guns off the street.

It would appear the out-county does not recognize the risks of urban criminal behavior affecting them. During the heyday of the Cobra's I had a police document listing known and suspected criminal youth who were part of multi-district theft ring. Many were runaways, called nomads, who came to Flint from other communities and even other counties.

They would steal a car in Flint and drive to other suburban areas where they would rob. They frequently stole a second card and drove it back to Flint to store the stolen goods.

Clayton, Mundy and other townships have captured Flint criminals that have had long time criminal sprees in their area.
Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint records longest period without homicides in two years

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
twotap schreef:
What will be the spark? -----I imagine anything that has to do with the Trayvon event that dosent fit the mold of obama and sharpton.

What will be the response--- hopefully people meeting violence with a show of force and putting an end to it ASAP.

The removal of the State Troopers may re-ignite problems. The failure of the Governor's youth job program and no summer employment could contribute. There is the possibility thr drug turf war could escalate. One senseless murder usually brings retaliation.
Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Man in Flint dead, woman in critical condition following double shooting

Published: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 4:58 PM Updated: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 5:01 PM

By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
FLINT, MI -- One man is dead and a woman in critical condition following an early morning double shooting Sunday on Neilson Street, according to a press release.

Officers responding to a shooting call around 3:30 a.m. discovered a man and woman with gunshot wounds.

The man was pronounced dead upon arrival at a local hospital, while the female victim was listed in critical condition. Names and ages of the victims were not made available.

Police are searching for two men in an older model Ford Crown Victoria with a loud exhaust system.

Flint had gone without a homicide since March 5, the longest period in two years prior to this morning's shooting.

Anyone with information is being asked to call Flint police at 810-237-6800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-422-5245.
Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:05 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: