FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint needs a Charlie LeDuff or Jim Kiertzner!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Search ResultsFox 2 Charlie LeDuff Reports Flint_20110412201009_JPG. Archive: Charlie LeDuff Stories. Detroit: Money Doesn't Grow on Trees But There Should be Funds to Tear One Down ..
www.myfoxdetroit.com/generic/news/Fox-2-Charlie-LeDuff-Reports - Cached- myfoxdetroit.comDetroit Fire: Allegations of Larceny & Cover Up Feb 8, 2011 ... FOX 2's Charlie LeDuff shows you what he has uncovered and ...
www.myfoxdetroit.com/.../detroit-fire-allegations-of-larceny-and-cover-up-20110106-wpms - www.myfoxdetroit.com/.../leduff%3A-the-recessions-over,-really%3F -

CachedShow more results from myfoxdetroit.comOn The Media: Transcript of "Reporting from Detroit" (November 19 ... Nov 19, 2010 ... Journalist Charlie LeDuff, who wrote about the case for Mother Jones, ... What we should be focusing on is where's the money to the police ...

www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2010/11/19/04 - Cached - SimilarEx-Times Reporter Charlie LeDuff Joins Detroit News | The New York ... Feb 14, 2008 ... FormerNew York Times reporter Charlie LeDuff is joining the metro team at the Detroit News. Fishbowl NY has the memo, and reports that Mr. ...
www.observer.com/.../ex-times-reporter-charlie-leduff-joins-detroit-news - Cached - SimilarCharlie LeDuff Portfolio of Pulitzer Prize winning author Charlie LeDuff. ... He lived in a tree house in Alaska and slept on the Great Wall of China. ...

charlieleduff.com/ - Cached - SimilarFOX 2 Detroit | Facebook Charlie LeDuff is discussing his latest column. Read it here: http://bit.ly/flgDjj · Detroit: Money Doesn't Grow on Trees but There Should be Funds to Tear ...
www.facebook.com/pages/FOX-2-Detroit/363658042993?sk... -

CachedCharlie LeDuff finally catches up with Detroit's Fire Commissioner ... Mar 22, 2011 ... Charlie LeDuff isn't going away. And either are the Detroit Fire Department's image ... municipalities taking money from the fire department budget and giving it to another ... He's barking up the wrong tree this time. ...
statter911.com/.../charlie-leduff-finally-catches-up-with-detroits-fire-commissioner-fred-wheeler-gives-the-reporter-the-silent-treatment/ - Cached
Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

ifmuth/flickrReporting from Detroit
November 19, 2010
Earlier this year, seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones was killed while sitting on her couch by a stray police bullet during a midnight raid. Some have suggested that the raid was overly aggressive, and that officers may have been influenced by a reality TV crew that was following them that night. Journalist Charlie LeDuff, who wrote about the case for Mother Jones, talks about covering Detroit for the past several years.

Download MP3 | Embed HTML
Email Comments [15] Save Print
BROOKE GLADSTONE: Some stories seem almost too big to cover, so you start with an anecdote – such as, on May 16th, seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones was killed sitting on her couch by a stray police bullet during a midnight raid in search of her father, a murder suspect.

The police used overwhelming force and a stun grenade, even though the door was unlocked. But in this case, the police were accompanied by a reality TV camera crew, and so a tragic inference could be drawn.

Journalist Charlie LeDuff used Aiyana’s death as a way into a long, devastating depiction of his city of Detroit for Mother Jones Magazine. He’s seen the press come and go. Most recently they've been coming, writing reams and leaving. But he suggests all those words still miss the point of the big story. Charlie, welcome to the show.

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Thanks for having me. I love your show.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Thanks. Do you think that the fact that a TV crew was in tow encouraged the police to violate their own procedures, as apparently they did, in creating a more dramatic entrance than they needed to?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Yeah. Talking to a high-ranking police source here, in his many, many years in the business he’s never used a grenade to apprehend a suspect. And so, it is quite possible. We'll find out, I guess, when this thing eventually gets to court, whether they were playing up to the cameras.

And the funny thing about that is this is many months later and there’s been no report released, no official word from the state police, the Detroit police, anybody.

It’s kind of sad in a way. I mean, Detroit’s misery, it’s really selling. We have a couple of TV shows, we have a couple of reality shows, a slew of documentaries, so we're in the media spotlight, but none of it really much amounts to anything in terms of helping the community.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: But Detroit’s been a mess for at least half a century. Is it the collapse of the auto industry that finally earned it national media attention?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: I think in a short answer, yeah. You know, when I was working out West in Los Angeles for The New York Times, I quit. I wanted to come home. I wanted to raise my daughter here because I'm from here. And I pitched this to – you name it – to NPR, Time, Politico, Washington Post, on and on and on.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: When was this?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Late 2007. And I told you, hey, man, I mean, something’s really brewing. You can smell the housing market’s starting to collapse. We should go to the center of what really made America rich, which was its manufacturing heart, which was Detroit.

And I couldn't get anybody to bite. The media, radio or newspapers or what have you was consolidating, losing money, trying to figure out how to save itself, and nobody was interested in a boutique bureau in Detroit.

Well, come about September 15th, when Lehman went bankrupt, boom, everybody started flooding and I started getting the calls from TV crews in Barcelona, from Moscow, from London, from Miami, you name it, and all of a sudden everybody was interested in Detroit in the sense of, yeah, we know Detroit’s a hellhole. Is it an outlier or is it the epicenter? Should we actually be paying attention instead of mocking it?

BROOKE GLADSTONE: It’s a reasonable question. What do you think?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: My supposition is it’s the epicenter. It was, without a doubt, the epicenter. If 50 years ago over 30 percent of our economy was manufacturing, and you look at it today and it’s about 10, and you realize what we've done is we've lived on exotic scraps of paper, the bill came due, and we're all looking around realizing now, Jesus, you actually have to make things for there to be value in your dollar. Well, we don't, and now we're back to the scene of the crime.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: You've said that, you know, a lot of lazy narratives, cookie cutter narratives, come out of the parachute journalism. What do you mean? Give me the standard narrative.

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Urban gardening. There’s one for you, urban gardening. Urban gardening is going to be the future of Detroit. Is it really? Are we going to take the poisoned fields of Detroit, with the mercury, with the lead, and actually grow corn and put 100,000 adults to work? I don't think so.

I like gardens, too. Gardens are nice. But that’s not what we should be focusing on. What we should be focusing on is where’s the money to the police department? What happened to the money going to the fire department? Why don't the ambulances show up on time?

BROOKE GLADSTONE: And those stories aren't told?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: No, they're not told.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: How do you think Time Magazine did when it came in for a year, rented a house and tried to put down roots, at least temporarily, so that they would avoid the pitfalls of parachute journalism?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Well, you know, I applaud them for trying maybe to get to something here.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Did they?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: [SIGHS] No, not really. I think they were cowed a little bit because when you live here, you have pride. We are human beings, right? This is our community. But you shouldn't let local pride get in the way of illuminating where it is they actually live. And I think that they fell into that trap a little bit, which was you’re not going to come in from the outside and say these things about us.

Well, I think you can't worry about it. If you try to tell the truth and you’re out there and you’re hitting the blocks and you’re digging through the paperwork, let the truth be its own justification.

So I'm glad they did that. The Wall Street Journal is here. The Associated Press is here, Reuters, Bloomberg. There are people paying attention, so this isn't something unique to them.

Having said that, I don't know what kind of appetite there is in the United States for do the ambulances work in Detroit. Having been a national correspondent, the trick is Detroit’s its own special and unique place, but it is coming to you. It’s coming to Phoenix, it’s coming to Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami.

There’s a lot of misery, a lot of doubt, a lot of broken homes, a lot of shattered careers, and people are afraid, they're confused, and the Zeitgeist is rage.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: You've been in Detroit for two years. You've said that at first you were really overwhelmed and you fixated on the freak show stories. Explain what that means and how your reporting changed.

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Well, I'll be honest with you. I [SIGHS] – look, it was amusing. And let me explain that. When you’re [LAUGHS] a reporter, you are a leech. You find a host and you grab onto it and you drain it for all it’s worth.

Do you feel for the people? Of course you do. But you pack up your parachute, you pack up your charge card and your hangover, you get on the airplane and you find the next pocket of misery.

Well, it was interesting here. Like, oh, my God, can you believe this? Look at the city council. Look at the mayor. Look at these bozos running the car company. Wow. And then it’s not funny any more because, one, you can't leave. You’re from here. It’s not funny because your brother just lost his house. It’s not funny because there’s a guy in an elevator shaft frozen, and everybody left him there. Now you start to get angry and you realize this buffoonery, this corruption, it’s killing people.

So what happened to me was for the first time in my life, I became that thing in college that I never was, which was we can use this journalism as a force for good, an agent for change. I'm going to get to the bottom of this and I want some accountability.

So now I started going through paperwork – I never did that – contracts. You know what I mean? I wanted an answer. Have I gotten one? Yeah. Can I fix it? No. But there is hope.

You know what I learned here through these people I wrote about, these very, very good people? That our hope is in each other, small little ways, small little efforts. Can everybody send five dollars to bury this kid? Can we all get together and force the police to catch this murderer? Can we ask a judge to man up and hold these people over for trial? Can we do that? And we are doing that.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: That sounds like activism, which is great.

CHARLIE LeDUFF: I know, it’s weird. I know, it’s weird, right?

BROOKE GLADSTONE: But your story on Aiyana Stanley-Jones serves as a record of the meaningless death of two kids. It’s a story that demands outrage from its readers about the myriad ways Detroit’s infrastructure’s broken, graft and corruption leading to injustice and despair. But you -

CHARLIE LeDUFF: And death.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: And death. And you raise the question yourself. Can your reporting change that even a tiny little bit?

CHARLIE LeDUFF: Yeah, let me go here. I am not an activist in the sense of what I'm doing. That’s not what I mean. Look, here’s a mirror. That’s my job. Here’s a mirror. Look at it. Look at it.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Charlie, thank you so much.

CHARLIE LeDUFF: It’s really been my pleasure.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Charlie LeDuff works for The Detroit News. His article, What Killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones, was in the November/December issue of Mother Jones Magazine.

[MUSIC UP AND UNDER]

NPR - National Public Radio
This Week Archive Local Listings About Contact Audio Help Search: ©2007 WNYC Radio Terms of Use Privacy Policy Corrections
Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It Seems Detroit's Illness Has Infected the Rest of the U.S.
Off the Chain
Updated: Thursday, 07 Apr 2011, 3:44 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Apr 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

By CHARLE LEDUFF
WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - I stopped in a gas station the other day to buy a pack of cigarettes.

I still do that. Smoke tobacco. It's still legal, I'm told.

But I had to stand around waiting for 10 minutes. Why was I waiting? Because there was a line four-deep of gamblers waiting to buy their lottery tickets. I was the only man not wearing a ball cap.

I finally got my chance with the clerk. He recognized me from the TV.

"Hey man," he shouted too loudly. "My cousin was trying to get a hold of you. Her mother died. They don't have insurance for the funeral. She was thinking maybe you could do something?"

"I can try," I said, handing him my card. "Have her call me."

I was lying. There was nothing I could do for his cousin's dearly departed mother. I get the "I can't bury granny and I can't afford it" call at least once a week. Still, people want to know somebody cares.

"What about you?" I asked him. "Can't you pay for it?"

He spanned his hand across the width of the counter, across the Tic Tacs and Slim Jims like he was a Price Is Right model showing off a new kitchenette.

"Bro, I make eight bucks an hour," he said. "And I got an associate's degree."

This wasn't Detroit, the national poster child of urban destitution, the international destination for looky-loo tourists seeking snapshots of American decline. This was Bloomfield Hills, one of the region's most exclusive suburbs.

It seemed to me that Detroit's sickness had infected the rest of the country. First the city, then the burbs and now the nation, where we don't make much anymore.

According to the latest numbers out of Washington, D.C., the country has an unemployment rate of 8.8-percent. The number would be higher, but we don't count people no longer receiving unemployment checks, no longer looking for work or those with only part-time work.

The economy added 190,000 jobs last month, but much of those are either temp gigs, retail counter and fast-food clerks or the wipers of other people's bottoms. Hardly the stuff of folk songs. Hardly the stuff that provides a person the ability to pay his mortgage, much less pay for a funeral.

And as my friend Laura Berman smartly pointed out this week in her column in The Detroit News, the home vacancy rate in Bloomfield Hills exceeds 10-percent, eerily similar to Detroit's vacancy rate a decade ago.

Who is to blame? I suppose it depends on which cable network you watch. Conservatives blame the unions, a dead work ethic and Big Government. Liberals blame executive incompetence, NAFTA and Big Business.

If anything can be learned it is this: As one goes we all go. They tried to wall off Detroit, but somebody figured out that if you can move your factory to Oakland County, you can move it again to Oaxaca, Mexico.

People ask me for the solution, but my job is to ask others for solutions.

A smart guy I know, Tony Pashigian, has some radical ideas: Don't wait for a job that's never coming back. Take that job wiping people's bottoms while you reeducate yourself for the new world economy. Lean on your family and neighbors to help, not the TV reporter or the government. Save money if you can, you never know when grandma's going to pass away

I handed the clerk my card, then $10 for the cigarettes. He gave me $3.30 back. What the hell? I bought some lottery tickets. Just in case.
Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I was not concerned about the changes of channel 12 and honestly wish they had been made sooner.

Their news coverage was bland and I got in the habit of only watching the first 8 to 10 minutes and often not even that. Channel 5, although they have a Flint studio, focuses on the news north of here. Channel 25 is sometime good but their reporters are often biased and in my opinion just plain wrong about the facts.

There hasn't been anything exciting about the news since Jim Kiertzner left for Detroit. He and his connections rooted out the corruption and actually made things happen. Of course that made him an enemy to the politicians!
He was pushed, threatened and had PPO's filed against him, thankfully they did not stick. His cameraman was even almost run over.

Our news is so bad that many of my friend only watch Detroit news and lament that they can't watch Kiertzner on Channel 4.

Even the Flint Journal is afraid of controversy!
Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: