FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: NSP 3 Substantial Addendum

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Kristen Longley had an article in the journal about this issue. (link below) The Carriage Town Neighborhood Association responded to the addendum during the public comment period and although supportive of working on the Hurley Stone St area, if the city tears the Hurley houses down, it is unlikely the can build new ones anyway. Any new excavations for foundations would likely uncover more Native American remains like what was found just a few hundred feet down the hill. The Chippewa's have spent the last 2 summers sifting the remains out of the piles and have now re-intered the remains on that site. The houses are all within the borders of the Carriage Town Historic District and to tear the houses down, the city must first comply with SHIPO sec 106 guidelines, then get approval from the Flint HDC, which is not easily done. CMH tried a few years back, the HDC said NO, CMH appealed to SHIPO (state historic preservation office) and they also said NO. CMH then appealed to circuit court and was denied there also. Tearing down houses in historic districts is not easily done.

So the CTHNA position is that rehabs could be done and we could do many more than the addendum proposes. There are 8 owned by Hurley, 3 owned by the land bank and the NA would certainly give a house recently donated by the Spencer Family for a total of 12 units, not 9. The houses that have been completed in Carriage Town are all sold and the ones that are almost done have many people looking at them to purchase.

Hurley Hospital has let these historic Homes decay to the point that some think they can't be saved. This may be the case but many units in worse shape have been done here and have been sold to great people who are now active in the local community. 2 houses recently were sold to people that were already renting in the neighborhood so we have actual homeowners and not more rental units.

To build a bunch of new houses in Flint makes no sense to me personally, in Carriage Town or elsewhere. We have an overabundance of available housing. Fix what we have if possible, put the rest into demolition and infrastructure (sidewalks, street lighting etc.) and let's get to work rebuilding the city one block at a time if needed, starting with the Hurley owned historic homes.

Tim Monahan
President
CTHNA

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/next_wave_of_federal_grant_mon.html
Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I have to laugh at the City of Flint's plans, how would anyone in their right minds put $240,000 + into a home and only sell it for $15,000 to $25,000??? Dayne needs to go back to school or something because according to my math that is a loss.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe it's 15K to rehab the house & 225K for "pocket" money.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

lol

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It would be interesting to know how much grant money goes for it's intended purpose & how much goes into various pockets.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It seems it may be difficult to tear down houses in a historical District. But it sure seems to be easy to build new ones without permission. Stat EMS didn't seem to have a problem. I'm assuming Hurley will do the same thing. Just build it then say take me to court.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Seems like the city just will not listen to reason. The requirements to tear down houses in historic districts, especially this close to the Native American excavation site would be all but impossible to overcome. Councilmen Lawler and Neeley know this, Eason knows this, Jackie Foster knows this, seems everyone knows this BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAY. What a waste of time on all our parts to try to rectify the problems. We need knew blood at city hall with some brains.

Tim Monahan
President
CTHNA
Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

TIM- city hall has brains they just dont know how to use them. I previewed all the Hurley owned homes and suggested that four of them were not worth rehab and should be torn down. The lots would be added to the home next door creating green space and making room for addition of a two car garage. This would make more room for kids to play and keep cars out the street. Guess why some people moved out of the city in the first place? The historical society said i did understand Historical preservation and would not approve of the plan. One home has since burned and all the rest continue to rot. Now, you tell me why its smarter to rehab homes that are not worth the money,build on postage stamp size lots, park your car and have kids play in the street is a good idea. I suggest adding a couple of people to the Historical Society that understands good neiborhood development and preservation will progress much faster. Call me i can help.
Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 pm 
tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Actually what we know is that SHIPO and HDC aren't going to approve this plan. The lots on the west side are some of the biggest in Carriage Town and new builds at 240.000 each is just plain nuts. The proximity to the Native American site will require an archeologist ON HAND during all excavations (This according the SHIPO) and if any remains are found the place becomes an archeological recovery site per Fed guidelines. If we rehab, we do not have to have an archeologist on hand, which would also be required during demo (technically, but ask forgiveness, not permission). With the allocation they are proposing, we get 12 houses done, not 9 (2 rehab / 7 new) and we meet all the Sec 106 requirements much more easily. So from an economic standpoint, rehabs will be allowed, demo will not (not my call, I agree with you on some of them but....) and no new builds will happen period because of the Sec106 requirements that any developer using Fed money MUST comply with. Personally, maybe we need to adjust the exterior materials list to make rehabs more affordable. We could also argue to get rid of the Historic Designation for Ctown or just this 4 blocks but I bought this house because it was in one, my attitude could change quickly though. The rules are not enforced anyway, If they had been, we WOULD NOT BE HERE because Hurley would have been forced to at least prevent further deterioration.

Anyway, I will sign a petition for "Carpenter for Mayor."
Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

People need to understand that rules and laws only apply to the little people. The elites do not have to follow them; what they want, they will get. They are above the rules and the law. I'm not being sarcastic, it's a fact.

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The city tore down at least one house in Civic Park, another historic District.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:20 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jackie Foster was on Comcast today when they aired the Council meeting. Neeley just threw up his hands and shook his head at her responses regarding the NSP3 amendment. It seems the written history of the resolution noted that over $3 million would be lost if the amendment was not sent in by March 1, the next day after the council meeting. After telling Neeley no money was at risk, she then told him the amendment had to be approved by March 1st. When neeley read the paragraph to her, she came up with a convoluted response that evoked Neeley's reaction.

She also perplexed Freeman about the East side demolitions and I am not sure if that ever got resolved.

Look out as we are headed for a bumpy ride!
Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: