FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Sloppy work in Flint Clerk's office?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I heard about this story this morning and some politicians were very critical of the Clerk's office and the length of time it took to bing in the absentee ballots. The county placed a disclaimer on the results, but not all of the media saw it. The absentee ballots did not go to the county until 3:30 am. 47 of the "mistake" ballots went to Dowd and increased her lead. Many attorneys that I know have no idea who Pace-Byrd is and they doubt her credentials.

Recount of some absentee ballots could change outcome of close 68th District Court race
Published: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 1:30 PM Updated: Wednesday,
November 03, 2010, 6:04 PM
Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal
FLINT, Michigan — It looks like the tight race for 68th District judge isn’t over yet.

Damika L. Pace-Byrd, candidate for 68th District Court, is challenging unofficial results from Tuesday's election that had her losing by 19 votes.

And election officials said there was indeed a mistake made with 94 absentee ballots involving that race.

Pace-Byrd said just before walking into a Genesee Board of Canvassers meeting at about 1:15 p.m. that she will ask for a recount of all the ballots in the race.

Pace-Byrd led incumbent Judge M. Cathy Dowd by over 1,000 votes late last night, until absentee ballot results came in after 3:30 a.m., giving Dowd the narrow win.

"That's too close to leave to chance," said Pace-Byrd about the 19-vote difference. "There are possibilities of human error and computer error. We are asking for a recount of all the ballots, including the absentee ballots. No stone will be left unturned."

Genesee County Elections Director Doreen Fulcher said 94 absentee ballots that appeared to be dismissed as “over votes” should have been counted.

The Board of Canvassers has asked the Flint City Clerk’s office to bring those ballots to the county so they can be counted and added to the final results.

The ballots could affect the outcome of the close race.

It wasn't immediately clear when the ballots would be counted.

However, Dowd came out on top after Flint's absentee votes were counted — a process that finished at about 3:30 a.m.

"It's absolutely disheartening said Pace-Byrd. "My decision to run was because I care about my city ,where I grew up. If the voters came out and voted me as judge of this city, then I should be judge of this city."

Ron Fonger and Kristin Longley contributed to this report.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:02 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it is time for a new Clerk.

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

After going to Terry Bankert's "slum post" every FLINT in the story was replaced with slum.
Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Who is she?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I heard about this story this morning and some politicians were very critical of the Clerk's office and the length of time it took to bing in the absentee ballots. The county placed a disclaimer on the results, but not all of the media saw it. The absentee ballots did not go to the county until 3:30 am. 47 of the "mistake" ballots went to Dowd and increased her lead. Many attorneys that I know have no idea who Pace-Byrd is and they doubt her credentials.

Recount of some absentee ballots could change outcome of close 68th District Court race
Published: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 1:30 PM Updated: Wednesday,
November 03, 2010, 6:04 PM
Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal
FLINT, Michigan — It looks like the tight race for 68th District judge isn’t over yet.

Damika L. Pace-Byrd, candidate for 68th District Court, is challenging unofficial results from Tuesday's election that had her losing by 19 votes.

And election officials said there was indeed a mistake made with 94 absentee ballots involving that race.

Pace-Byrd said just before walking into a Genesee Board of Canvassers meeting at about 1:15 p.m. that she will ask for a recount of all the ballots in the race.

Pace-Byrd led incumbent Judge M. Cathy Dowd by over 1,000 votes late last night, until absentee ballot results came in after 3:30 a.m., giving Dowd the narrow win.

"That's too close to leave to chance," said Pace-Byrd about the 19-vote difference. "There are possibilities of human error and computer error. We are asking for a recount of all the ballots, including the absentee ballots. No stone will be left unturned."

Genesee County Elections Director Doreen Fulcher said 94 absentee ballots that appeared to be dismissed as “over votes” should have been counted.

The Board of Canvassers has asked the Flint City Clerk’s office to bring those ballots to the county so they can be counted and added to the final results.

The ballots could affect the outcome of the close race.

It wasn't immediately clear when the ballots would be counted.

However, Dowd came out on top after Flint's absentee votes were counted — a process that finished at about 3:30 a.m.

"It's absolutely disheartening said Pace-Byrd. "My decision to run was because I care about my city ,where I grew up. If the voters came out and voted me as judge of this city, then I should be judge of this city."

Ron Fonger and Kristin Longley contributed to this report.

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

All I know about Pace-Byrd is a postcard I received a couple days before the election calling her opponent a "lying republican", amongst other things. I wish I had saved it, but I didn't.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

You are not supposed to bring politics into a government owned building, but 2 weeks prior to the election Kathryn Price introduced Pace-Byrd at the North End revitalization meeting in the North End mini-station.

I was not enthusiastic about Doud, but after hearing from Pace-Byrd, Doud had my vote. She gave the opinion she was owed the position but Granholm gave the appointment to an inferior person, Doud.

Since then many attorneys have spoken about her and are not overly thrilled with her experience. Most don't even know who she is. I don't know if it is true but I was told her mother was former Judge Roberts. She said she is married into the Byrd boxing family. I got the impression she thought she deserved the seat because she was black. Her attitude turned me off.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pace-Byrd was not heard from and didn't really start campaigning until very late in the race, long after many absentee ballots were in.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs - I was surprised that she started so late. ANd I was surprised at the wide range of people that were supporting her. All's she needed was a few more pole workers and she would have won. What blows my mind is all the people that just pain didn't vote for anyone for Judges,

JUDGE OF 68TH DISTRICT COURT
Vote for not more than 1
(WITH 60 OF 60 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
M. Cathy Dowd . . . . . . . . . 10,433 49.58
Damika L. Pace-Byrd . . . . . . . 10,414 49.49
WRITE-IN. . . . . . . . . . . 195 .93
Total . . . . . . . . . 21,042
Over Votes . . . . . . . . . 20
Under Votes . . . . . . . . . 4,429

Almost 4500 people didn't even vote. I always appreciate the few that at least took the time to write in SOMEONE,... LOL LOL
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ted even lawyers don't know who this woman is or why she is qualified to be Judge. The state said we did not need this judgeship and then Granholm filled the spot. El;iminate it and the unnecessary cost. Elect judges who are qualified and not political hacks. There were no Pace-Byrd signs in the north end until the end of the race.Why did she have to publically denigrate the Governor for not selecting her? That decision was more likely based on qualifications and experience. Doud was a magistrate at one time.

It merely shows how much race is a part of every aspect of life in Flint.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well I have a completely different take. While I whole heartily AGREE that this position should have been eliminated in 2005. When the report came out saying Flint District court had 1.5 (if I remember correctly judges. Also take last year. Judge Haymen slip in Cynthia Favala Terry as an illegal Magistrate because he claimed we needed that position filled. When we had almost half the cases in 2009 than we had in 2005. Go figure?

If you understand the courts as well or better than I. You know as well as I, that it is a “good ole boy network.” The majority of the time a judge becomes a judge NOT because of an Election. But because of a APPOINTMENT. Then run as the incumbent. Many of whom just before their appointment quickly arranged to meet the requirements of MCLA 600.8501. (mostly been people being appointed to Magistrate) Shoot, the Chief judge of Flint courts doesn’t Live in Flint nor is he a District Judge). How many magistrates have been tenants of Me Ewing? Who sets them up at his residence or purchase property inside the city limits and register to vote. Unlike the Favalla Terry deal where she not only didn’t live in the City but was never confirmed by City Council. Now she was a Magistrate. Does that make her a qualified choice just as Mary Dowd.

I can tell you her lack of signage and proper campaigning was not because of anything but lack of funds and having never ran a campaign before. Now you call her a “political hack” I would call her someone not part of the corrupt system in the courts we seem to have today. An outsider isn’t someone in the “IN CROWD” Doesn’t owe people political favors. Hasn’t been here long enough to be corrupted by a system of back room deals that’s been going on in the courts for years. I would be more inclined to say those appointed to by-pass the system of being elected by the people would better exemplify the term Political Hack. Than an outsider who hasn’t been corrupted or controlled by a political party or special interest group. I’m sure you’ve been around long enough to know which ones are controlled by the Landlords assoc or the UAW, Democratic Party, etc. Just check their campaign contributions. Who is owed Favors. While I have nothing personally against Ms. Dowd. I know Ms. Bryd accepted no political special interest money. That tells me more about the Character of the person I would prefer to vote for over experience any day.

I want more judges that understand the Spirit of the law Not push the technicalities for their own personal benefit. Just like in other elected offices. Check out where their money is coming from then you’ll know who is pulling their strings. How much money was given to our elected officials to help ATT dismantle Public Access? How many of them Flat out lied to us about what the law was going to do when we told them exactly what it would do. WE WERE RIGHT!!! They weren’t wrong they just lied! While I was the only White person at the Campaign. I felt no “RACIAL” motivations or Playing to race. Least wise nothing more or less than What I’ve heard being at a white candidates campaign party. I wish I’d known her before the election. Instead of getting pulled in at the last minute. The more I learned about her and her kids the more I liked her.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ted
Your response says it all.
You campaigned for Pace-Byrd and liked her. You were the only white person in the campaign. That doesn't make her credentials any more impressive nor does it make her more qualified. People I like lose all the time. How she presented herself in the campaign was not how she presented herself at the meeting I saw her at. She sneered when she spoke of the appointment by Granholm and was not dignified. Don't we have enough unqualified judges in District Court. Remember the Favila Terry magistrate deal came about because the high court stepped in because of problems.

Haven't heard any more about the Terry as magistrate deal. Know why? I heard it was because the state helped broker the deal. Everyone in the city ran off half-cocked and questioned the integrity of Judge Hayman without all of the facts. There is no lawsuit Ted. Passion iand righteous indignation can't stand up to the light of reason.

Blame the state for our loss of programmming with Comcast. Flint sued and all w got was $68,000 and some ancient equipment. Then the money was spent on other things and Flint will not get the promised studio. The state wasnted the revenue from the franchises and when all state contracts expire they will have it. But they are not responsible for problems within the system. As a producer, this is an issue close to you but is not affected by the 68th District Court.

Doud started working early in the race-long before any other announcements. She amazed me with her determination. Personally I am not fond of her, but I felt her character stood higher than Pace-Byrd.

Bottom line is what is going to be done with the Clerk's office and this snafu?

Election results still uncertified, Genesee County clerk says absentee ballot problem could prevent recount in district court election Published: Monday, November 15, 2010, 10:18 PM Updated: Monday, November 15, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal

GENESEE COUNTY -- County election officials spent some 12 hours trying Monday, but still haven't certified the results of the Nov. 2 election, raising questions about whether the state will agree to recount votes in a close race for Flint District judge.

County officials expect to contact the secretary of state office early Tuesday, the last day they can certify the results of the election, asking for further direction, including whether they should continue their work or simply certify the results they have.

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalGenesee County election workers on Monday continued to review absentee ballot applications and poll books from Flint that were used in the Nov. 2 election as the county Board of Canvassers attempt to certify the results of the election.

County election officials have come close but haven't been able to match the number of paper absentee ballots they have from Flint with the ballots other city election records show should have been cast in the election.

County Clerk Michael Carr said the fallout of the confusion could be that the state Board of Canvassers decides it cannot conduct a proper recount of the race for Flint District Court judge, a nail-biter than unofficial results show was decided by just 19 votes.

"Typically they don't recount if (the numbers) don't jibe ... (but) it's up to the state," Carr said.

The unofficial results gave incumbent Judge M. Cathy Dowd a 10,433-10,414 edge over challenger Damika L. Pace-Byrd. Dowd's lead expanded to 44 votes after dozens of absentee ballots were added to totals after it was discovered they had not been counted with the totals on election night.

An attorney for Pace-Byrd said Monday that his client will file for a recount.

"(We're waiting for the election to be certified) so we can file a petition for recount," said John Pirich, an attorney for Pace-Byrd.

Pace-Byrd appeared to be winning the race for district judge by nearly 1,000 votes before absentee ballots were added to election returns.

The county Board of Canvassers is expected to meet at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday to either certify the results, making Dowd the apparent winner, or to call in election workers to continue comparing the absentee ballots, poll books and envelops the ballots were returned in.

Those workers appeared to come closer to making the numbers match on Monday, finding a handful of instances in which mistakes had been made, including some names that should have been highlighted in poll books as having cast ballots but were not.

However, they ended their work without two key numbers appearing to match: the number of paper absentee ballots -- 3,725 -- and the number of applications for absentee ballots, which indicate whether a ballot was returned.

There appeared to be two fewer applications on file than ballots, officials said.

"We're going to call the state, asking for their direction," Carr said toward the end of Monday's marathon session.

The county Board of Canvassers is made up of two Republicans and two Democrats appointed by the county Board of Commissioners.

A spokesman for the secretary of state said Monday that the board has until the end of Tuesday to certify its results.

Monday's actions came after the state advised the county to dig further to explain the difference between the paper absentee ballots and the city's poll books.

I once worked as a challenger in a recount. I challenged the seals on three ballot boxes because the numbers did not match the poll books. In the end it didn't mater. A recount in the old fashioned hand count way and the total only changed by about 3 votes.

I heard my first complaints about issues in the Clerks office with absentees in 2000. The problem sometimes is in who is recruiting the ballots. There are allegations that some north end gang members are being paid to solicit absentee ballots ( a little friendly persuasion) in order to influence elections, especially those in the north end. Allegedly these gang members brag about the oney earned.

Everything in the north end and in council is about race. Eason told a group all stimulus money was to be spent "north of the river" and council raises race in every contract. Qualification don't matter. Everyone deserves a chance but this mentality leads tot the fraud and abuse that is currently rampant in our administration.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That campaign post card I got from Pace-Byrd - sure wish I had kept it - definitely had racial overtones.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs That whole first part of the 1st paragraph doesn't make any sense or mean anything. why do people see it as racism when you're one race and most of your friends are the same race. For some reason I kinda expect that.

Your comment about unqualified judges in District. It does seem that there is only one that doesn't play well with the good ole boy network. It's not necessary to try to imply something you don't have a clue about when we already agree the Flint Courts have at least three too many judges.

[/i] Remember the Favila Terry magistrate deal came about because the high court stepped in because of problems.
Now I know you don't have a CLUE. Who told you the high court stepped in? The chief judge made a case so he could try to mentor (for lack of the correct word) Ms. Terry so that she would be the next APPOINTMENT by the governor when a position opened. She like most other magistrates didn't meet the qualifications of MCLA 600.8501. If you remember the reasons he gave for bringing her in. None of them were true!

Wow you're really buying into the BS that floats around aren't you. There was never any lawsuit so why are you mentioning something that never existed. So what are you talking about? The State accepted Judge Hayman's word when he signed her paper work that she met the Qualifications. The State doesn't tell the Chief judge of Flint how to run his court. Thus Flint courts are run differently than other courts in the State. It's not run Wrong It's just run differently.

Now for the rest of the truth. The terry's are leaving the State or have left. Once the Law was being followed again and she was no longer violating State law she has dropped off my RADAR, But, I have seen where there house is being foreclosed on. You did know Ms. Terry was Judge Hayman's Judicial Law Clerk. She wrote most of his opinions and did his paperwork. She went into private practice and wasn't making enough money. So Judge Hayman helped her out by getting her a job. Once I started bring it out in the Open I believe the Embarrassment of her knowing they had been caught helped get her to decide to take a position out of state. (but the last part is just my opinion)

I thought you were more up the Comcast deal. We only got 68K because Walling wanted to get all this old business cleared up. We should have gotten much more. Also. The City council was the ones that really screwed us over. Giving the money Paul and I, I'm betting Sally Haywood helped too being as close as she was to the DON. Get that lawsuit going. For Public access. The council could have at the very least used the money to update the recording equipment at City Hall with some new cameras for the conference rooms. And it wasn't the State that did all this to us. It was the Politicians. That accepted money from ATT to do their bidding. That was the only reason I used that example. Because it's so clear a two year could understand how when special interest groups put money into peoples campaigns those politicians that take it do favors and vote to help those interests and not to the betterment of the voter. And Ms. Bryd not accepting any special interest money is a huge positive to me. Thus the Reason I even supported Don for Mayor in his first two elections.

And I don't dislike Ms. Dowd. I play Farmville with her on Facebook. I don't dislike her in anyway. But I do not like what has been going on in this city for years. People from out in the county. Getting appointed to positions in our court system who really Don't live her. But, make preparations and changes before their appointments to register in Flint and get a residence in order to bypass the system of voting for judges. Thus appointments are political payoffs. Not elected positions to be voted on by the people. In a word. Cronyism.

Bottom line is what is going to be done with the Clerk's office and this snafu? Ya know I haven't stopped in there to find out. Mostly because this all seems so unbelievable.

I do agree though that there is too much RACE pandering brought into much of what is going on. But I can tell (and it kinda blew me away) that white candidates do it too. So if you've got a way to get it to stop or on how to get people to look past race. Count me in. I get tired of it. From all sides.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It's official: Genesee County Board of Canvassers certifies Nov. 2 election results
Published: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 3:08 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 8:45 AM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY -- The county's Nov. 2 election results are official and say Flint District Judge M. Cathy Dowd has won re-election by 45 votes.

The county Board of Canvassers certified those results today, saying Dowd received 10,481 votes compared to 10,436 for challenger Damika L. Pace-Byrd.

In certifying the results, the Board of Canvassers adjusted unofficial results from election night but none of the outcomes changed as a result.

In the Dowd--Pace-Byrd race, Dowd expanded her lead from 19 to 44 votes when dozens of Flint ballots that had been set aside were added to the totals after election night. Dowd received one more vote from a ballot election workers found in a storage box for absentee ballot applications.

Pace-Byrd said today that she will file for a recount as soon as possible. Dowd said she has little choice but to watch the process unfold.

"I think that (Flint City Clerk Inez) Brown and (county Clerk Michael) Carr took their time trying to make everything absolutely right," Dowd said. "I expect a recount. I'm just going to wait and see what happens."

Pace-Byrd has been watching since election night as the Board of Canvassers has attempted to match the number of absentee ballots from Flint with other election records, In the certified results, the county shows 3,727 absentee votes were counted in the judicial race even though other Flint election records only document 3,725.

"We're filing immediately for a recount," Pace-Byrd said today. "I still think there were irregularities. That's what the recount will determine."

Election officials said the small imbalance between actual ballots counted and other election records isn't unheard of but the Board of Canvassers spent two weeks attempting to resolve the issue because they wanted to be certain the state would agree to recount the absentee ballots.

Carr said today that state officials have told county election officials that those ballots can be recounted because of the extra steps that have been taken in an effort to match the totals.

Ken Silfven, a spokesman for the Michigan secretary of state's office, said a request for recount must be filed within 48 hours of the state Board of Canvassers certifying the election results.

That certification could come during the state board's meeting Friday, giving Pace-Byrd until sometime Sunday to ask for a recount.

Silfven said the other candidate in the race will be notified of a request for a recount and can ask for a recount of additional precincts if a full recount has not been asked for.

Brenda Battle Jordan November 16, 2010 at 4:22PM
Follow

Congratulations, Judge Cathy Dowd and good luck, Oops "May God Bless You", will be best, Brenda Battle Jordan.

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

oldeastside November 16, 2010 at 4:30PM
Follow

Congratulations Cathy. Now sit back and let Ms. Pace-Byrd spend the money to show that what was CERITIFIED is correct. I just hope that after the recount she will realize that the voters spoke and she will stop. Any lawsuit will just be waste of the taxpayers money. She gets a do over, most people that attorneys and Judges see, don't.

735emain November 16, 2010 at 5:00PM
Follow

Congratulations Judge Dowd. Mr. Carr and Ms. Inez Brown have gone out of their way to be fair but the Pace-Byrd lady doesn't get it.

Brenda Battle Jordan November 16, 2010 at 5:15PM
Follow

If there were any irregularities at all it was because of you and your staff, not Judge Cathy Dowd, so go some place and sit down, Brenda Battle Jordan.

numero407 November 16, 2010 at 6:07PM
Follow

Eric Mayes was involved with Pace Byrd's campaign. Thats and irregularity in itself.

Brenda Battle Jordan November 16, 2010 at 6:21PM
Follow

numero407,Amen.

young21169 November 16, 2010 at 10:55PM
Follow

ha ha ha ha look who lost now when you treat people like crap it come's back on you just like karma hum so glad your not the winner maybe she should go back to law school and learn something about law because you suck as an attorney MRS. BYRD now the shoe is on the other foot your wasting your time just give up you suck you suck your not worth are tax dollars ha ha ha ha ha you lost, congrats Ms.Dowd you deserve to win at least you know what your doing
Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: