FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Fisher Hotel slumlord strikes again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

No "suspicious" fire yet?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It might damage the nearby homes, but I doubt if it would solve the roach and flea problem.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As long as they continue to breed in this home the problem will persisit. The pest control company should have donned protective gear and gassed the house.

According to the National Pest Management Control Association:

"Cockroaches have been reported to spread at least 33 kinds of bacteria, six kinds of parasitic worms, and at least seven other kinds of human pathogens. They can pick up germs on the spines of their legs and bodies as they crawl through decaying matter or sewage and then carry these into food or onto food surfaces. Germs that cockroaches eat from decaying matter or sewage are protected while in their bodies and may remain infective for several weeks longer than if they had been exposed to cleaning agents, rinse water, or just sunlight and air. "1

The main problem with roaches is that they can live unseen in all areas of a home. Humans often presume infestations have been suppressed when roaches might be present and growing in number in the attic, basements, under bathtubs, kitchen cabinets, between ceilings and insulation, caulking, overflow drains, sewers, in the roof tiles and ceilings, and pipes.

Roaches like moisture and can find their way to multiplying numbers near a leaky pipe between the walls, underneath a broken drain overflow, or in areas long disused, such as storage areas or cabinets and drawers. Surface water can extend the life of a roach long enough for it to scurry under a car (or into a wheel well) or climb up a tree by a window or into a florist's hothouse plant left on the doorstep.

One bomb and one set of roach "motels" won't get rid of a cockroach problem. It’s a battle of numbers. Man-made substances such as Hydramethalmelnon gel or Deltamethrin are necessary to combat structural penetrations and infestations in a house, apartment, office, factory, or school.

Experienced pest control agents should be consulted, as they will know the pertinent facts about local roach contamination trends, infestation tracking, breed fluctuations, as well as effective ways to end the "occupation."

The source of new roaches and addition to the ‘residents” may be ongoing—from a nearby building, or from vehicles carrying food and water from contaminated or infested areas.

Cockroaches have been shown to make group decisions,2 so if one finds a happy home under the often-wet cubbyhole inside your leaky faucet, soon others will too.

Ventilated storehouses where spoiled or broken food containers are aggregated may spawn a huge population that can flow out into field and be carried miles away and spread into widening circles of pest population behavior.

Since the cockroach has few natural predators, man must step into eradicate them. Ammonia, bleach, or chalk powder can be used to fend subsequent roaches away. Those experienced in roach control in domestic areas know: roaches will not cross a line of borax (soda) and in some cases bleach salts or ammonium chloride can be effective (although recommended for industrial use only).

If cornstarch, flour, or food-smelling elements are added to the roach "powder," then roaches are attracted to it and breathe it in. This dust works at a level that makes human size once again an advantage: the dust is mildly acrid or annoying to a human, but to a small insect it is toxic.

New studies related to pest-control developments show cockroaches leave chemical trails in their feces. Other cockroaches will follow these trails to discover sources of food, water, and where other cockroaches are hiding. Thus, constant cleaning can eradicate some of these "messages" left inside your home.

But a major implication of this research is a new technique in cockroach pest control. Cockroaches could be potentially removed from a home by leaving a chemical trail that leads away from the home. Some strays will start to follow the new "breadcrumbs." Since roaches make group decisions, the entire group may be led away. This "collegial" decision making allows the herd of roaches to congregate in self-defensive masses to their mutual benefit.

Cockroaches are not just threats to food and sanitation (and human peace of mind). In 2006, actress Michelle Rodriguez of the television show "Lost" had to take steroid medication while filming on set in Hawaii. Long allergic to cockroach "pollen" (residues), the tropical environment made roaches and their by-products everywhere on the islands, and everywhere on the set, a health hazard.

A 2005 NIEHS national study3 on factors that affect asthma in inner-city children shows that cockroach allergens appear to worsen asthma symptoms more than other known triggers. Conversely, studies show only 10 percent of homeowners nationwide feel that cockroaches are a health concern versus a just a chore.

So pest control at the domestic level needs to be stepped up to meet both market demands and unrecognized health threats to families. Industrial development of better and more efficient domestic and industrial cockroach pest control adapts to meet the demand of current environmental and consumer allowances for toxic substances and safe materials for use in the house and other human occupied buildings where roaches grow.

Biological control of cockroaches by wasps has been somewhat effective, but cannot control infestation. Strangely a house centipede is the most effective control agent of cockroaches. Most people are loathe to use this technique inside their home as a logical defense against roaches, however.

Preventative measures include sealed food storage, secured garbage cans, frequent and aggressive kitchen and food preparation cleanliness, and regular vacuuming. Home and building construction quality and structural design quality and integrity also co-vary encouragement of cockroach infestation with water leaks, cracked porcelain, faulty drains, and undisputed spaces in walls or unseen areas.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/controlcockroachproblem#ixzz0yHxJ649g
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The cockroaches have made it down the block. They have crossed the street and are multiplying at a tremendous rate. Giving up on do it yourself the neighbors have called the exterminators.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Neighbors report the roaches moved in columns to nearby homes and could be seen hanging off the sides of house and around garbage cans across the stree. Cockroaches have a "herd mentality" and when one starts advancing others foollow. They were breeding under porches.

It is sad when a woman in her 80's has to have an assembly line of hot water and bleach for over 2 hours as an attempt to stop the advancing hordes of roaches approaching. The nearby nonprofit for Rosewood, the sorority from Kettering, public housing, and several mansions are within reach of the roaches.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Would this be something the County Health Department would be interested in, or are they in someone's pocket too?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
goodchristianman
F L I N T O I D

From what I have heard the city is doing evrything they can do to help the situation. The home owner has offered to donate the house. What else can every person involoved in this situation do? If the neighbors all spend a little time fixing the problem oppsed to complaining this would be a non issue. I think what you have is a bunch of retires that have nothing to do but complain.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I sincerely doubt that you are a good christian man as you are viewing the suffering of an entire neighborhood as "a bunch of retirees that have nothing to do but complain".

I don't know where you got the idea the owner is donating the home, but he has it listed for $700 a month rent. The residents have spent alot of time, money and effort trying to fix the issue.

The city failed in it's obligation to protect the health, safety and welfare of the residents when it continuously ignored complaints of the residents about the blight issues.

Not all of the residents are seniors.

You allege that you are a good christian, and yet you have no sympathy for those citizens who have over the years maintained a clean environment and suddenly are overwhelmed with hordes of pests that are capable of carrying disease. The house at 909 E 7th was full of roaches, fleas and dog feces. These pests walk through the filth and then move on to other homes.

We are not speaking of small numbers of roaches. We are talking about hundreds marching in columns down the street and infesting the entire neighborhood like a plague. We are talking about the neglect of the city to enforce their ordinances creating a health issue for an entire neighborhood.

Seniors and children have health risks that make chemical assaults on these pests riskier to their health.

They sprayed their yards with Raid max which was supposed to provide a barrier. They used spray and Roachprufe with boric acid to keep them at bay. When hundreds came from the house after the exterminator left, they killed what they could with buckets of bleach water. And still the hatchlings and older roaches keep coming.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Goodchristianman-You registered today just to weigh in on this issue. You comments are as reprehensible as the slumlord owner of 909 E 7th. With the previous history of this owner, it is no wonder there are problems.

My solution is to have an investigation into the department that investigates complaints and find ou if there is incompetance or perhaps even kickbacks, as payoffs have historically been alleged with this department.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:33 am 
goodchristianman
F L I N T O I D

There are talkers and there are doers. You apparently like to talk, but I doubt you have done anything to help the situation. Why does the area not take over the house and do with it what they want. There actions will speak greater than these going no were comments. Tell the neighbors to get to work and solve there problem once in for all instead of thinking the city owes the area something. The city has better things to do than dealing with one house in th middle of a deteriorating area. Let the city and its employees spend there time on real issues
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
goodchristianman schreef:
There are talkers and there are doers. You apparently like to talk, but I doubt you have done anything to help the situation. Why does the area not take over the house and do with it what they want.

Maybe because it's owned by someone. Are you advocating invading another person's private property?

quote:
There actions will speak greater than these going no were comments. Tell the neighbors to get to work and solve there problem once in for all instead of thinking the city owes the area something.

The city owes them EXACTLY the same services it provides to every other area of the city. If the city owes that area nothing, then it owes NO area anything.

quote:
The city has better things to do than dealing with one house in th middle of a deteriorating area. Let the city and its employees spend there time on real issues

Real issues, like fighting the recall on city time? Real issues, like making sure political cronies & hangers-on and other incompetents have city jobs at the expense of public safety?

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:25 pm 
goodchristianman
F L I N T O I D

Hey, I dont want to get into a political debat, but let me do more than any of these colums or the neighbors have done about this house. I will pay 10 cents for every cockrocha (Live ones only) Can them up and bring them. Thats my final offer.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 pm 
goodchristianman
F L I N T O I D

I wanted to see how much this was going to cost me, so I drove by this house. It reall does not look that bad. As I looked down the street I saw no insects whats so ever, maybe this article scrarred them.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling in his "Action sessions" found out that public safety and blight were the top priorities of the city. Well he has done little on either subject.

Health, safety and welfare of the residents is the responsibility of the city. walling is allegedly bringing in a blight team to fight the problem. Council has also advocated the enforcement of the city codes and ordinances to prevent further deterioration of the entire city.

This neighborhood, while having older homes as most of Flint does, is in better shape than most neighborhoods. The homes,lawns and gardens are in better shape than most of Mott Park.
You do not know what I have done to help this neighborhood but I can guarantee it is far more than you are willing to do.

What kind of fool are you to suggest the neighbors should have to take over the house. The owner of the house spent much of last year avoiding arrest in the fraud charges against him and some other car dealers.

Roaches usually hide during the day. They came out only after the spray drove them out. I am afraid you will only find dead roaches as the residents are actively killing them, some with the help of the Orkin man.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:06 pm 
goodchristianman
F L I N T O I D

Solution: Attention all residents, please leave your porch lights on. Roaches are like gremlins they do not like bright lights
Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:20 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: