FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: NAACP wants top LEOs to discuss serial killer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

NAACP meeting
Monday August 23, 2010 @ 10:00 am
Macedonia Baptist Church Pastor Lewis

Killer Targeting Black Men is Not a Top Priority | NAACP
Now, there are reports of an investigation linking the Flint killer to two ... Unfortunately, such coordination around the Flint killings is lacking. ...
http://www.naacp.org/blog/entry/serial-killer-targeting-black-men-is-not-a-top-priority/ - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
-

Serial Killer Targeting Black Men is Not a Top PriorityPosted on August 11, 2010
By Robert Rooks & Dr. Niaz Kasravi

A serial killer has been on the loose for months and only recently has the story reached the attention of national media. Since mid-May, law enforcement officials in Flint, Michigan and surrounding areas have had their hands full hunting down a serial killer that's been roaming the streets and knifing innocent victims. The killer has been identified as in his late-20s to mid 30s, white male, has a goatee, and wears a cap during his attacks.

He has attacked fourteen men, murdered five and all but one of his victims has been African-American. Now, there are reports of an investigation linking the Flint killer to two stabbings in northern Virginia same SUV attributed to the killer in Flint has been spotted in VA.

Although local media and the Associated Press have been covering the search for the killer, only after months on the loose are we seeing this story hit national news. The national silence during the first months of the Flint killings are reminiscent of the lack of coverage in the Cleveland, OH killings, where Anthony Sowell killed at least 11 African-American women, some drug addicted and homeless. The story of missing black women in Cleveland did not reach national headlines until dead bodies were found in Sowell's home.

The initial silence around the Grim Sleeper killings in LA where 12 African American women were attacked and 11 killed in over three decades was equally troublesome. In that situation, it was only after the LA Times featured an interview with a victim of the Grim Sleeper did the Mayor's office and police department confirm that in fact a serial killer was at-large. Once the word got out, a task force formed to find the killer, and a $500,000 dollar reward was offered. In a little more than a year and a half after the Los Angeles Times broke the story, the Grim Sleeper was arrested.

The trend of initial silence during moments when African-Americans are being targeted is terribly upsetting because the silence puts more lives at risk. One can't help but imagine what the national response would have been if these killings were happening in upper income white communities. Although along the lines of missing person cases, the slow media slug and national outcry in cases where African Americans are targets, pales in comparison to the legitimate national outcry to find Lacey Peterson or Calee Anthony.

In the Flint situation, the lack of national response and outcry from the public is just as problematic as the media bias. Just as in the Grim Sleeper case, once the community knew about the killings, they seized on the opportunity to develop a community effort to help find the killer.

Unfortunately, such coordination around the Flint killings is lacking. In researching responses to the Flint killings, it was difficult find information on what African Americans in Flint and surrounding towns can do to protect themselves. On the Michigan State Police website, as of today, all we could find was a news alert about the sketch of the suspect, no mention of an award offered for giving valuable information. Lastly, I have yet to hear about a local and national collaborative effort that brings together community members and law enforcement to work together to find the Flint killer.

This response and lack of coordination is unfortunate because the function of crime prevention, crime control and victims rights advocacy is to raise the profile of cases where victims are being targeted, to help stop and catch the perpetrator and to educate communities on how to be safe when perpetrators are on the prowl.

The reality that the Flint killings bring to surface is the decreased role communities of color play in crime prevention and victim rights advocacy. Sure, being a victim is not an issue of race. Anyone who is a victim should have the opportunity to have a proper recourse. However, when African Americans are victimized, rarely do the stories merit the same level of national attention as they do in cases of white victims. This strongly suggests that despite all the talk of race neutrality since the rise of Obama, black life is not seen as important as the lives of whites.

A national network to elevate the voices of black victims and survivors is needed. It's time to establish this network to coordinate with the media, the department of justice and local police so that when people of color are victimized, the appropriate community response is coordinated. Just like Amber Alert kicks off a local and national response when children and the elderly are abducted, victims in low income communities, especially communities of color should also be engaged, have their voices heard, receive alerts and establish community efforts to stop and find the killer.

Let's use this moment in the Flint Michigan killings as an opportunity to organize communities of color to stop the targeting of black men and women, start a discussion on the need to organize on behalf of black victims and most importantly, catch the Flint killer!
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan Serial Killer Is 'Learning How to Kill'Updated: 10 days 22 hours ago
Print Text Size
David Lohr
Contributor

AOL News (Aug. 6) -- A knife-wielding slasher who Michigan police believe is responsible for the stabbing deaths of five African-American men since mid-May is still "learning how to kill," an expert says.

"He's honing his craft," former FBI agent Harold Copus told AOL News. "Soon, he'll take it [to] another level and you'll see more violence."

The slayings and attacks on eight other men have have occurred in Burton, Flint, Flint Township and Genesee Township, police say.

Michigan State Police / AP
This composite sketch provided by the Michigan State Police shows a suspect in a string of stabbing deaths in the Flint area.The latest victim was Arnold Minor, 49. He was found stabbed to death on Flint's south side Monday. Police say the location was not far from where several of the other attacks took place.

"When they found him, he wasn't far from home," Minor's sister, Stephanie Ward, told The Detroit News. "He bled to death on the street. You don't know what goes through somebody's mind to do something like that."

On July 30, Frank Kellybrew, 60, was killed. That slaying took place in Flint Township, not far from Kellybrew's home, police say.

Investigators have declined to identify the other victims and will only say the crimes date back to mid-May.

The killer, an unknown white male, typically selects older victims who are more vulnerable to his attacks, investigators say. Among the 13 attacks the killer is believed to have committed, only one of the victims was white, police say.

Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock said the killer does not rob his victims. A motive in the case remains unclear.

"We are still trying to nail that down in particular, but we are trying to be responsive to the community and warn the community while we are still gathering that information and putting it together," Lock told AOL News.

In an interview with The Detroit News, Frances Gilcreast, the president of the Flint branch of the NAACP, expressed concern over the handling of the case and found it alarming that the attacks had not been made public until now.

"Why didn't we know about it?" Gilcreast asked the newspaper. "We didn't know there was anybody out there stabbing black folk. If it had been in another community, and it had been vice versa, they would have alerted them."

Lock declined to comment on whether the killer is purposely targeting a specific race and will only say his department has characterized the victims as "vulnerable citizens."

According to Copus, the type of the victims the killer is selecting is much more telling than their race.

"He is going after individuals who are less able to protect themselves," said Copus, head of Copus Security Consultants in Atlanta. "Race has nothing to do with it. A major factor is most likely the areas where he is doing his hunting."

The fact that the killer uses a knife as his weapon of choice is also very significant, Copus says.

"A gun is highly impersonal," Copus said. "I could shoot you from a distance and it is almost meaningless, but when I use a knife, it is personal. I am going to show you I can dominate you and I can take your life. There is a certain amount of thrill I can get by thrusting that knife in right in front of you. I'm taking your life and you're dying."

Copus added: "This guy enjoys seeing the blood and everything else, and that is the reason he is using the knife."

Another interesting aspect of the crimes is the fact that there is not much of a "cooling off" period between the killings, something Copus says is typical of serial killers.

"This is highly unusual and very risky," Copus said. "My reaction is he is practicing. He has a mental issue and he can't suppress it. He is like that lion or that tiger that is eating flesh -- once you got the taste, you can't get away from it. You just better pray that he hasn't mastered the killing phase because once he does, he'll be harder to catch."

Lock says that despite all the unknowns in the case, he is hopeful the slayings will be solved "real soon." In the meantime, he is asking residents to take extra precautions to protect themselves.

"We just ask them to be careful. ... When they are out by themselves at night and someone wants some help or some information from them, [to] be wary of those individuals and try not to be by themselves," Lock said.

The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 5 feet, 11 inches to 6 feet, 2 inches tall, with a muscular build and light-colored hair. Anyone with information is asked to call Flint police at 810-237-6800 or Crime Stoppers at 800-422-JAIL.

2010 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I believe these attacks were crimes of opportunity, done by the perpetrator during hours of darkness after he got out of work until daylight. Check out the times the victims were found and when they were believed to have been attacked. Think about who is on the street at those hours. Very few people.

One person interviewed on TV also said the alleged stabber claimed to have been a hit man while he was in Israel.
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There was said to be an investigation of a stabbing believed to have beeen committed by this man while he was in Israel. No charges were made.

The NAACP is requesting to know why it took so long to tell the public to be aware of this criminal. There is information that indicates there was some indication and even a description of the assailant available long before it was announced.
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Why does anyone pay any attention to the always race based ramblings from the most racist group in existance? the NAALCP. Rolling Eyes By the way isnt it a fact that 2 of the victims were not black much like the suspected perp wasnt a white male with light colored hair, much to the dissapointment of the NAALCP im sure.

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From the posts deleted by TheDonSupporter:

The big question is why it took so long to realize there was a serial killer. May 24 was the first stabbing and there were 14 to 16 victims before anything was done.

COULD IT BE THAT LEYTON WAS TOO BUSY CAMPAIGNING TO BE ATORNEY GENERAL.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:59 am

ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheDonSupporter schreef:
Flint Mayor Dayne Walling told AOL, "This community has breathed a big sigh of relief that this killer has now been apprehended and this terrible chapter in this city's history has now come to a close. The sense of security is being restored across the city ."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, Walling shows that he has no idea what is going on in the majority of the City. He has no clue what many residents are living through. Gunshots, death threats, gang activity and graffiti are just a part of everyday life for many of Flint's residents. With murders near record pace, I don't think that many people share his lofty views that "security is being restored across the city." Maybe in Dayne's mind that is true. But then again his mind is probably still located where it has been since last November, where the sun doesn't shine! It's no wonder he can't see what's going on in this city.

John Basil Barnhill

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From the Journal article on the stabber: "Mayor Dayne Walling called it one of the worst public safety crises in the city’s history."

Worse than cutting the police department so far they can't keep up with serious calls?

45ACP: Don't leave home without it.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

No letup in crime in Flint after arrest made in serial killer case
Published: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 8:34 AM Updated: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
David Harris | Flint Journal
Follow Share this story
Story tools

FLINT, Michigan — The violence continues.

A little more than a week after police arrested a suspected serial killer in a case that spread fear from Michigan to Virginia, these city streets have seen three more homicides.

Oddly enough, none occured during the nine days from when police announced there was a serial killer to when a suspect was arrested last week.

With the number of homicides in Flint now at 40 and the city continuing to see a high number of suspected arsons — including 16 since police arrested serial-stabbing suspect Elias Abuelazam, 33, of Israel — wary residents continue to worry about violence in their city.

“The violence is definitely increasing,” said Bobby Fowlkes, 42, who lives across the street from where Roy Noblin Denson, 57, was beaten to death around midnight Tuesday outside his home on Sloan Street and Sutton Avenue.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said he receives a crime report every day, and that the crime rate so far in August is about the same as what the city saw in July, when a serial killer was blamed for a string of 18 stabbings, including five deaths, that began in mid-May.

Yes, Walling said Flint “breathed a sigh of relief” when Abuelazam was arrested Aug. 11 in Atlanta. But the mayor isn’t sugarcoating Flint’s safety problems.

“I had always emphasized ... that this community continued to face serious public safety challenges,” said Walling. “We have men and women in uniform every day making arrests to make this community safe.”

Two days after Abuelazam’s arrest, 5-month-old Azarriah Chauncey died around 6 a.m. Aug. 13 and her father, Matthew Chauncey, 31, was arrested and charged with felony child abuse.

One day later, John “Andy” Mick, a security guard, was gunned down around 4 a.m. outside River Village Apartments off Saginaw Street. Police are looking for two suspects.

Finally, Denson was found beaten to death in the early hours of Tuesday. There have been no arrests in the slayings of Mick and Denson.

Sitting outside River Village Apartments where he lives, Tony Wright, 41, said the violence is “part of life.”

“When it gets hot outside, things get rough,” he said.

Alex Walker, 70, who lives across the street from the apartments, is tired of the violence.

“People don’t have no sense,” Walker said. “Nowadays you can’t walk down the street without someone bothering you.”

Flint City Council President Delrico Loyd said the fact that there were no homicides during a manhunt for the suspected serial killer is no coincidence.

“It shows that the guys out there killing people, that for once, they were concerned about their lives,” Loyd said. “If they don’t want the serial killer to harm them, surely they should understand the grandmothers and mothers don’t want their family members killed.”

And the city is continuing to see higher levels of arsons.

There have been 33 suspected arsons in August, including five overnight Wednesday and into Thursday morning. There were 22 in all of August 2009, officials said.

Those numbers are down from a spike in March and April, when the city announced it was laying off firefighters and when fire crews were seeing an average of nearly three arsons a day.

Despite the drop, however, the level is still above last year’s figures. Firefighters fought 40 suspected arsons in July, compared with 25 in July 2009.

“Many of these arsons are crimes of retaliation,” Walling said. “You see the greater number of arsons that go along with the shootings.”

A city firefighter was badly injured early Monday while fighting a suspected arson fire on Wolcott Street and Eighth Avenue.

Firefighters had to go to the scene twice. On the second time, firefighter Jeremy Turner, 31, fell through the first floor of the house and into the basement, which was engulfed in fire. He suffered second- and third-degree burns, but his condition is improving, officials said. No arrests have been made.

Fire officials believe the house was set on fire in retaliation for an incident.

“The arsonists need to understand that any time they set a fire, there’s a possibility that any (firefighter) could lose their lives when putting the fire out,” Loyd said.

An arson task force was formed to investigate all the fires. Walling said a few arrests have been made that account for more than 20 arsons, and he expects more arrests to come.

He said curbing the continued violence also will take help from the community — in the same way the community stepped up when police were investigating the serial killer case and residents flooded an anonymous tip line.

“We continue to need the community’s cooperation to solve the crimes that have been committed and to get these individuals behind bars,” Walling said.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:40 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I am told the anger stems from the Mayor saying on his radio show that he knew about the serial killer for a long time. Also a police source told me th police were aware of the vehicle description but did not release it until Virginia did.

Officials discuss race, timing in Flint serial killer investigation
Published: Monday, August 23, 2010, 6:45 PM Updated: Monday, August 23, 2010, 7:09 PM
Laura Misjak | The Flint Journal
Follow Share this story
Story tools
MT. MORRIS TOWNSHIP, Michigan — Angry residents questioned police and city officials about why it took so long to realize that a serial killer was attacking men on Flint streets.

In a meeting called by the NAACP, Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton and other officials answered questions about the investigation into the Flint serial killer, who is blamed for 14 stabbings in Genesee County, killing five.

“I still have issues with the notification,” said Frances Gilcreast, president of the Flint branch of the NAACP. “It seems as if we were taken for granted. ... Like we have killings every day, so we should be used to it.”

Many in the crowd of 120 Monday at Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church specifically questioned investigators statements that they do not believe the attacks were racially motivated. All but two of the attacks in Genesee County were on black men.

“How can you say it’s not racially motivated? It’s 12 black men. I believe it is,” said Elaine Smyth, 44, of Flint.

Leyton said he understands why people believe race was involved, but maintained that there is no evidence to suggest race was a factor in the attacks.

“I have to have more than that to suggest it’s a racially motivated crime,” he said.

Gilcreast said rumors started circling through the community even before the arrest of Elias Abuelazam, 33, an Israeli native accused of the stabbings here as well as one in Toledo and three in Virginia.

She hoped the forum Monday would dispel those rumors.

“When people don’t have information, they have imagination,” said the Rev. Lewis Randolph, president of Concerned Pastors for Social Action. “That imagination can run away with them.”

Other people thought the stabbings were some sort of revenge for the deaths in 2008 and 2009 of area liquor store clerks. Abuelazam also worked in a party store.

“I’m not going to sit here and say race is an issue, because it’s not an issue,” Lock said. “I’m not going to say that these black men are not important because they are.”

But many walked away feeling they didn’t hear the answers they wanted to hear.

“Why did my brother have to be the final piece of this puzzle?” said Stephanie Ward, sister of Arnold Minor, the last victim of the suspected serial killer. He was found at about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 2 on South Saginaw Street.

“We have questions and we’re not getting the right answers.”

Lock was criticized repeatedly by the crowd, with several speakers calling him “arrogant.”

Lock responded: “I understand you have feelings and you should have feelings. But I have feelings also. We have procedures that we have to follow.”

Etwan Wilson, 17, was stabbed Aug. 1 by the serial killer after he was asked directions. He wishes police would have told residents sooner about the series of attacks that began in mid-May.

Police announced there was a serial killer in the city on Aug. 4.

“I’m unsatisfied,” Wilson said after the forum. “If I had known about (the suspect) that night, I wouldn’t have been stabbed.”

Police said they didn’t connect the stabbings sooner because the first two were a month apart, and it was difficult to connect the crimes through multiple jurisdictions.

Abuelazam currently is awaiting extradition to Michigan, which officials said will happen later this week.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:21 pm
Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 am 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Twp tap before you send unfounded and possible libel information as truths over the internet as it concerns the NAACP you should know the facts. The NAACP was founded in 1909 by a coalition of Whites and African Americans. The NAACP helps those regardless of there color, sex, faith, ethnos that don't have a voice and are victims of the criminal justice systems, bigotry, racism, hate crimes, sexism, employment applications and disparities, jobs, housing, environmental conditions, educational inequities and the lists are endless of this organizations activism.

Learn the history of the NAACP talk from a position of knowledge Not hearsay.

Simple go to NAACP History and hit enter and a whole new world will open up for you.
Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

r. b. robinson before you send unfounded info across the internet perhaps you better do a bit of fact checking yourself. 3 of the stabbers victims were not black which sort of takes the "only targeting black men" theory out of play but of course does not prevent the naalcp from attempting to make it into something it obviously wasnt.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:12 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_for_the_Advancement_of_Colored_People

In fact, at its founding, the NAACP had only one African American on its executive board, Du Bois himself. It did not elect a black president until 1975
Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:38 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The naalcp stand up for and support lots of folks and causes but only if they fit a litmis test,a certain political criteria that being liberal. Show me the last time they got on board and supported a black man or woman who happened to be a conservative. Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice etc.
And of course by the very nature of the name of their organization they are in fact racist.
The old standard comparison of what if we had an national association for the advancment of white people would you find that racist? Of course you would. Very Happy Whenever I hear the naalcp support this or condemn that I take a long hard look at what the hell they are talking about before conceding they might have a point.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:53 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Two tap you could at least get the name right. It's NAACP. The question is what are you doing to further positively any of this cities or countries problems. All your post that I have read are about putting the city, organizations and people down. You must be a lonely and miserable person. I will pray for you.
Ronald Barry Robinson

Again as usual you have your facts wrong again about the NAACP.

NAACP Historical facts
Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:46 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
You must be a lonely and miserable person. I will pray for you.

Laughing Laughing thanks but your prayers are not needed for me ,perhaps you should pray for flint and the out of control subculture that infests it cause they sure need all the help they can get. By the way naalcp stands for national association advancement of liberal colored people which is an accurate description. Conservatives need not apply.

"The question is what are you doing to further positively any of this cities or countries problems."
Well for starters I damn sure dont vote for unqualified community agitators for president or support someone just because they happen be from a specific ethnic group. Very Happy

One more thing if the stabber had attacked 15 whitemen would the naalcp get involved? Confused

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It would not have taken 15 attacks on whites before it was recognized as a serial killer. The point I and the NAACP have been making is that violence towards poor people, and especially poor blacks, the homeless and poor women, is accepted as commonplace and not given the attention it deserves. With so many victims, it is amazing the serial nature of the crimes were not noticed and if it was noticed that it was not made public sooner.
Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

So what your saying is if 15 poor "white folks" had been attacked the naalcp would be calling for an investigation, right? Thats the point I am making.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:11 pm 
ronald barry robinson
F L I N T O I D

Two Tap regardless of what you think. The proper wording is NAACP. This organization goes into battle for anyone that has been discriminated against. Had the organization known about the serial killer it would have been front and center from the beginning. If blame is to be layed hold it against the cities top law enforcement officers. The prosecutor and police chief as they told no one and certainly did not share this information to the NAACP about this killer/slasher running rampant amongst our citizens.

Ps and yes the organization would have and will go into battle for 15 white men and even you. Don't blame everything on a subculture there have been countless robberies and murders committed by the upper and middle class as well. Unfortunately people are so quick to blame the poor knowing when they do so the poor have little or no help to defend themselves.

If you or anyone else has any discriminatory complaints regardless of skin color. ethnos or economics please feel free to call the office at 1-810-742-8622 They will be happy to address your issues. The office hours are Tues, Wed, Thurs from 10 AM to 2 PM This is an all volunteer staff as no one is paid anything for the services rendered to the community.

On your computer type in NAACP/History to find out more about this organization
Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:58 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: