FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling proposes more cuts to public safety

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

" In the spending plan presented Monday night was a nearly $5 million cut to the police budget and another $2 million to $3 million cut for the fire department."

Eason stated the city wants to focus on Economic development, but who will come with no police or fire.

FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/06/10)--In Flint, Mayor Dayne Walling's administration presented its proposed budget for the next fiscal year Monday.

Walling was absent from night's meeting. In his place, City Administrator Greg Eason and Finance Director Michael Townsend answered questions from council.

Included in the discussion Monday night was an idea to borrow at least $13 million from the state in the form of a bond.

It would go to pay off deficits run up by former Mayor Don Williamson's administration and the current one.

"To be able to deal with the old deficit problem which is at 10.1, a projected deficit of at least $4 (million to) $5 million and then allow us to start at ground zero," Eason said.

In the spending plan presented Monday night was a nearly $5 million cut to the police budget and another $2 million to $3 million cut for the fire department.

In its current form, the mayor's office would get a $50,000 increase and City Council would get a $40,000 bump.

Council members questioned both, stating they never asked for an increase. All agree more information is needed.

And the mayor weighed in. We asked him why he wasn't there Monday night.

"My approach is that this is not a political document," he said.

"This is about financially managing the city's resources and it was appropriate that finance director was there with city administration leading that presentation."

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local »

Tags:flint, local, lori dougovito
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo Recently Published

All Rights Reserved.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

More police, fire layoffs could be coming to city of Flint as budget ax falls
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
April 06, 2010, 4:31PM
FLINT, Michigan — Look for another 10 fewer public safety employees than the city of Flint currently has on the streets if the mayor's proposed budget comes to pass, officials said today.

And if the city doesn't consider borrowing $13 million or more to help pay off past and current deficits, more than 30 general fund employees — which could include police officers and firefighters — could be cut, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said.

The potential staff cuts were revealed as city officials work on the budget for the 2011 fiscal year, which begins July 1.

The city recently laid off 46 police officers and 23 firefighters to trim this year's projected $8-million deficit.

Walling said the 10 additional public safety layoffs could be avoided with "double-digit contract concessions" from the city's public safety unions.

"Public safety is the top priority in this proposed budget," Walling said in a letter to city council members. "We will have the largest public safety force that we can afford."

Keith Speer, president of the police officers union, said he wouldn't be surprised if the city "pays the bills by laying off public safety." Union leaders have said the unions proposed concessions that weren't accepted by the city.

"We're barely holding it together by threads right now," Speer said of the police department's workload. "I don't even know how to put it into words."

The Flint City Council is expected to review the mayor's proposed budget over the next several weeks and possibly make its own amendments. More information on the mayor's proposed personnel summary is expected to be released Wednesday.

The budget must be adopted by June 30.

The mayor's budget is based on the city securing a financial recovery bond of $13 million or more to allow the city to make payments on its deficit reduction plan over a longer period of time, possibly five to 10 years, Walling said.

The plan currently has the city making payments of more than $2 million a year until 2014. The bond would allow the city to instead use that money for general fund expenses, such as public safety, Walling said.

Without the bond, the city would have to find an additional $2.8 million in cuts in the proposed budget, which equals about 30 general fund positions, Walling said.

The bond would be paid off by the public improvement fund.

Walling said the same approach was used by emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz in 2003 and 2004 when the city was under a state takeover.

"A bond is a smarter way to deal with the deficit," Walling said. "The city of Flint is now being more fiscally responsible than under any previous elected administration. We're balancing a budget that's smaller than ever before."

City Councilman Scott Kincaid said he won't support a bond until he's certain cuts can't be made elsewhere.

"As we go through the detail of the budget I think we’ll be able to find other numbers to reduce the layoffs in public safety," Kincaid said. "Until there’s deeper cuts in the administration office and other areas I'm not going to support a bond."
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 pm 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

Oh yes, I smell a recall on the horizon and there is also the scent of state takeover. How can an administration that started with some form of balance, run up such a huge deficit in a matter of months?..... Oh yeah, piss poor administration and planning.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Add more money to the administration and city council, but let more essential city functions be cut back. How the hell did Walling work that one out. So he wants a loan from the state, to hire or pay more to his administrative offices and city council while laying off more police and firefighters. He just committed political suicide. At least one of the council members seems to be taking a WTF!! approach. Whether or not it comes from a genuine concern or just a way to look better to voters, who knows? But at least one of them had the cajones to say: WTF?

By the way, does this recall petition have a direct request to the state for them to take over and appoint an EFM? If so, I will be more than happy to collect signatures for it.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

New signs at the city limits: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From the article: "The bond would allow the city to instead use that money for general fund expenses, such as public safety, Walling said. "

FAT CHANCE!

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

NUTS
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It is my understanding that the new personnel summary is out.

Cuts to the police down to 142 officers
cuts to fire down to 66 fire personnel

increase in Donna Poplars office from 5 to 11 permanent staff

changes in staffing levels and job titles in DCED- Is this the forerunner of eliminating the people who know their jobs?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm 
DEMCAD
F L I N T O I D

I'm a black lifelong resident of Flint. I've spent 22 of my 28 years in this town. I'm a Libertarian who does not support the GOP or DNC. So there is no racial, political or cultural bias, here.

In my opinion, Walling is doing what's necessary. He simply has no choice. The city is spending more than it has, so the budget must be cut. Yes, it is unfortunate that we have less police and less fire services, but at least he isn't raising taxes to the extreme.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Doing what's necessary? Cutting police 7 fire while keeping his green coordinator, communications director and others? What's more important; public safety or jobs for his cronies?

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

My problem with this whole situation is that no comprehensive planning going on. I understand that money doesn't grow on trees but I feel we need to plan out our course. This city is a ship with no sail and we are floating aimlessly. Why not work on things we can control such as getting residents involved in neighborhood watches? Get youth groups going to give kids something constructive to do? It is going to take more than just CUT CUT CUT CUT.

Why are we rushing these cuts without thinking them out first? Why is no planning happening to ensure the residents are safe?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
" In the spending plan presented Monday night was a nearly $5 million cut to the police budget and another $2 million to $3 million cut for the fire department."

Eason stated the city wants to focus on Economic development, but who will come with no police or fire.

FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/06/10)--In Flint, Mayor Dayne Walling's administration presented its proposed budget for the next fiscal year Monday.

Walling was absent from night's meeting. In his place, City Administrator Greg Eason and Finance Director Michael Townsend answered questions from council.

Included in the discussion Monday night was an idea to borrow at least $13 million from the state in the form of a bond.

It would go to pay off deficits run up by former Mayor Don Williamson's administration and the current one.

"To be able to deal with the old deficit problem which is at 10.1, a projected deficit of at least $4 (million to) $5 million and then allow us to start at ground zero," Eason said.

In the spending plan presented Monday night was a nearly $5 million cut to the police budget and another $2 million to $3 million cut for the fire department.

In its current form, the mayor's office would get a $50,000 increase and City Council would get a $40,000 bump.

Council members questioned both, stating they never asked for an increase. All agree more information is needed.

And the mayor weighed in. We asked him why he wasn't there Monday night.

"My approach is that this is not a political document," he said.

"This is about financially managing the city's resources and it was appropriate that finance director was there with city administration leading that presentation."

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Local »

Tags:flint, local, lori dougovito
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo Recently Published

All Rights Reserved.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: