FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: What's the penalty?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

People a few blocks from here have told me they've been seeing rats crawling out of the storm drain catch basins & rummaging in the garbage set out for pickup. Can any of the Police Officers that visit here tell me what the penalty is for popping rats, opossums, skunks & other critters roaming the neighborhoods?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im guessing discharging a firearm in a residential area would get you in a heap of trouble unless of course your a crip or cobra member just getting ready to turn your life around.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
People a few blocks from here have told me they've been seeing rats crawling out of the storm drain catch basins & rummaging in the garbage set out for pickup. Can any of the Police Officers that visit here tell me what the penalty is for popping rats, opossums, skunks & other critters roaming the neighborhoods?

When we had a rabid squirrel in Fenton when I lived there 24 years ago, it was a city ordinance NOT to bother squirrels...therefore, we could not kill it, as advised by a police officer.

We had an opossum in our neighbors backyard that came out at 3:30 and was hissing a couple of years ago. Hubby at the time shot it with his bow, it's quiet and no one knew, but all of the neighbors around knew about it before we did it, in other words permission granted.

Dunno about Flint. Could Genesee County laws pre-empt Flint laws? I think that there is an old law on the books in Genesee County that if you bring in a crow to the County, they have to pay you a dime for every crow killed or some kind of fowl...can't remember.
Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I would think flint would be more concerned about the 2 legged rabid critters, maybe popping a few of those would send a better message.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Try a "Havaheart" live trap.I've had the same one for about 20 years and have relocated dozens of pesky critters ,numerous raccoon,possom,and squirrrel.
Always take care to avoid bites and scratches from a wild animal.Rabies shots have improved hugely in the last decades,but are still unpleasent ( I speak from experience) .I use leather gloves when releasing.A long sleeved shirt and jeans,not shorts, are advisable.
You'll find that relocating most of the pests is a tempoary fix. The raccoon population in this area is large and mobile.I don't recommend shooting in a populated area.I have shot raccoon with both rifle and 12 gauge , they are very very tough animals.Its simply not worth the possible legal hassle or risk to neighbors to start cranking off rounds.
I think you would find the Havaheart a little pricey but a good investment. Last I looked Ace Hardware had some.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Risking neighbors? THEY'RE the ones cranking off rounds almost weekly. Maybe I can persuade them to use 4 legged vermin for target practice instead of each other. There was a drive-by around the corner several years ago. The "target" was standing in the driveway. All the bullet holes were in the second floor of the house.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

My condolences Dave.I personally think that anyone shooting into an occupied dwelling should be gutted like a hog.But since we live in a "civilized" society (lol) perhaps a minimum sentence for such a cowardly act could be introduced into the State Legislature.20 years as a minimum sounds good to me..Keep your head down,buy some sand bags and my personal fav. the Chi Com typ 56 ak47..I wish I could give you better advice,but you've probably already thought of anything this old fart can tell you.Stay on as good a terms as possible with your neighbors,and know who to leave alone.
One of the great US Presidents TR,liked to quote an African proverb,"speak softly and carry a big stick" ,,still good advice.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The countyhealth department used to help with rat and mouse control, but it is hard to get help from them now. They will bait only if you can pinpoint the nests.

I have seen crows breaking into bags too.
Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Crows, raccoons, opossums, dogs & cats. Putting some ammonia in trash bags helps. I'd like to see a requirement that all trash bags be put in cans with tight fitting lids.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:19 am 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
I personally think that anyone shooting into an occupied dwelling should be gutted like a hog.But since we live in a "civilized" society (lol) perhaps a minimum sentence for such a cowardly act could be introduced into the State Legislature.20 years as a minimum sounds good to me

Crowfeeder,

Sounds like a good start. But why don't we forget the rehabilitation in prison which hasn't worked in most cases and let's go back to hard labor. Put them to work cleaning up roads, digging ditches or even just breaking rocks. Instead of relaxing in a cell watching tv, let's make it a place that criminals do not ever want to go to. Maybe we can hire Sheriff Joe Arpaio and have him strike fear into lawbreakers in this area. Put them in tents. Like Dave Starr has stated on Flint Talk, if it's good enough for our troops, then it's good enough for prisoners. Quit pampering them in jail and start busting their chops!

Thomas Jefferson
Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Oh brother!!! watch out for the libs to come unglued with that one they hate sheriff Joe. best sheriff in the nation by the way. ever watch the series Police Women of Maricopa county? great show. Very Happy
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/police-women-of-maricopa-county/

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:17 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Oh brother!!! watch out for the libs to come unglued with that one they hate sheriff Joe. best sheriff in the nation by the way. ever watch the series Police Women of Maricopa county? great show. Very Happy
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/police-women-of-maricopa-county/

I bet if you talked to a lot of the people in Flint that have to deal with the criminal elements in thier neighborhoods, there would be a lot of support for my suggestions. That's liberals, conservatives and everybody in between. They should be made to be productive members of society. Do something while in jail to cover the cost of thier incarceration. Why should the taxpayers have to pay for thier bad decisions. I don't expect others to pay for my mistakes, and boy have I made some whoppers.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

There's lots of vacant land in Flint for a Sheriff Joe-style jail.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:35 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: