FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Neighborhood inaction meeting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

yesterday, I called the mayor's office to find out just where at Hurley the 5th ward neighborhood inaction meeting was. they didn't know, but switched me to someone that did; Americorps!
Anyway, we made it to the meeting. It was kicked off by councilman Lawler, who stated he couldn't stay because of another meeting. But, before he left, he gave everyone his city cellphone number AFTER HE PULLED OUT A BUSINESS CARD & LOOKED IT UP . The Americorps folks then took over & went through the usual procedure of listing what it would take to make the 5th ward a better place to live. This is the same thing they did at each of the 3 meetings I've attended. I got dirty looks when a lady suggested holding all property owners liable for the condition of their properties & I added: "Including the land bank". Chief Lock was there at the end, and mentioned mini stations. He said Haskell is open. When asked about the mini station at Hurley, he turned to Rhoda Matthews & asked her when it would be open, but she didn't know, either. I asked about the foot patrol & he said it would be operational next week, with one officer per ward from 9-5, and one from 5-1. He said they will knock on every door to introduce themselves to residents. I have no idea how long it'll take for an officer to knock on every door in a ward. He said he, and the mayor, would be driving around the city overnight, looking for arsonists. Questionnaires were passed out asking everyone to evaluate the session. I saw 3 that said to stop talking and start doing something. Attendance was low - less than 20 people. The salad & bread sticks were good, though.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Foot patrol actually takes effect today. Problem is, they never bothered to tell any of the officers they were being moved to foot patrol. They just shuffled a bunch of officers on papers. There will now be 18 officers in foot patrol and 18 in Cops. Today there was 1 lieutenant, 3 sergeants, and 2 officers assigned to the patrol bureau. We are in deep trouble.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

My wife told me that on the morning news, Lock said there are 12 officers "out there" every day. yesterday, I listened to the scanner all day & only heard 5 different car numbers called. That was probably the 2 officers and 3 sergeants.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Haskell has not been open to the public! I stop by there often-no cars-no answer at the door-no activity.
Once there was a vehicle but no one responded at the door amd Carpenter would not answer his cell for the last two weeks.

Ballenger Rd mini station has had a closed sign up forever.

The mayor and his staff drove the 6-8 volunteers aay from the south east mini-station. There has been one lone volunteer since. Looks like walling's new system really works. And why isn't Lock holding the press conferences?
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

At the meeting last night, Lock was asked if Haskell was available for block clubs to be used for meetings. he said yes, just call Rhoda Matthews to set it up. He also said people could sign up to volunteer at the mini stations, but didn't say anything about those that applied to be volunteers months ago but never heard a thing after that.

Also, a friend that lives closer to Haskell than we do said she talked to Carpenter & he plans to be at Haskell & continue what he's been doing there even though he's laid off.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

wait bossman, how is the foot PATROL and the PATROL bureau seperate? Sounds like the system needs reform again. And please, since I have heard little of this, tell me what the cops officers do.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:28 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The COPS officers do nothing. They are commonly referred to as the "wave and grin" squad. They attend block club meetings and help with the ineffective mini-stations. The foot patrol program has always worked out of the COPS program. Regardless of where the foot patrol officers are assigned, they will be completely ineffective and a drain on effective policing. The biggest reform required in the FPD is a tremendous influx of officers. Without that, the city is doomed to the #1 spot as the most dangerous city in America.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

heard a call earlier for a PI at Dort & Court. One officer was called to go the the scene; he said he was on foot & it would take a while to get back to his car.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

but dave this shows how there are still patrolmen in flint, and the foot officers DO have cars to respond with. Community policing is not a silver bullet, it is a more effective use of resources.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, and when a foot patrol officer is called to assault in progress & it takes him 5 minutes to get back to his car, and the victim is beaten to death before he gets there???????

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
At the meeting last night, Lock was asked if Haskell was available for block clubs to be used for meetings. he said yes, just call Rhoda Matthews to set it up. He also said people could sign up to volunteer at the mini stations, but didn't say anything about those that applied to be volunteers months ago but never heard a thing after that.

Also, a friend that lives closer to Haskell than we do said she talked to Carpenter & he plans to be at Haskell & continue what he's been doing there even though he's laid off.

I can tell you for a FACT that IF the volunteers are NOT trained properly, there will be issues, aka lawsuits. IF the volunteers are to be effective, they must realize that they are there to serve and to help the police officers without the notorious John Wayne Attitude that is prevalent amongst our bunch.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

John Wayne? I prefer to be Clint, thank you.
Get off my lawn! Laughing
Or, if someone else is already Clint, I'll be Bronson in the death wish movies. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:50 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Another call; a domestic assault will have to wait until officers deal with a fight elsewhere.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I think it would be more fun to be James Bond not the roger moore Bond though.. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Link

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
And why isn't Lock holding the press conferences?

Webs,

Have you ever talked to the man? Go into an empty room and talk to the walls, you'll probably get more intelligent answers from them than Lock. He has three stock replies to answer any question:

1) Call 911.
2) Call the community policing number.
3) Sorry, we don't have enough money to do that.

I'm not sure about all the bad things that Chief David Dicks did, but when you asked him a question, he had answers. I saw him at a meeting where residents were discussing problems. Dicks gave phone numbers to officers, departments, his secretary and his own number to resolve problems. On more than one occasion, I went to his office when he had open door day to discuss problems in our neighborhood. He got on the phone while I was still in the office and got the ball rolling to correct the problem. I actually saw result in our neighborhood. And no, I don't live in one of the "nice" areas. I don't condone his wrongdoings, but at least thing were getting done when he was chief.

Maybe if somebody could get Lock to use both brain cells at the same time, he could get twice as much done. But then again, two time nothing is still nothing!

Thomas Jefferson
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: