FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: HUd-"You got some splaning to do " about Mission o

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I still laugh about Desi using this phrase with Lucy when she screwed up.
"Lucy, you got some splaining to do"
It was funny then, but not with something so serious as foreclosure consulting. How may times have you seen the ads for Mission of Peace teling people they can help them save their homes.
But how bad does it look when the counseling agency has a long history of past due taxes? Enter Mission of Peace or A E V, inc (for Alonzo and Elmira Vincent) Most of their properties are in the name of A E V, inc and owing taxes:
877 Fifth
2009 summer $35,210.03 and winter $2,326.55
2008 total $38,881.90
2007 total $41,628.1
Mission of Peace CDC:
817 N Stevenson (Greenview Manor)
2008 total$32.038.33
2007 forfeiture $37,502.12
Flint Township properties
Harwine 2008 $271.36 (CDC)
3480 Barth 2008 $$3,389.53 (housing)
Barth 2008 $348.60 (husing)

In the past the Journal reported on Mission of Peace and their past due taxes

Greater Estside Community Association also has tax problems and was a HUD certified counselor. Emerson once told me GECA had the worst record of all companies using state money. for counseling.
I quess HUD also has no problems with counselors being associated with real estate companies when they are doing credit counseling for prospective new home buyers.
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

City of Flint to relocate four residents from 'unsafe' apartment complex
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
October 26, 2009, 10:17PM
FLINT, Michigan -- The City Council voted tonight to spend $20,000 in grant funds to relocate four tenants of a troubled low-income apartment complex near Hurley Medical Center.

City Administrator Gregory Eason said a recent city inspection deemed Greenview Manor, 817 N. Stevenson St., to be unsafe as the city and the owner redevelop the complex.

The problems at the apartment complex were not specified.

The city will spend $20,000 in federal Community Development Block Grant funds to find alternative housing for the four residents while the redevelopment project is completed.

The project is expected to take up to a year, Eason said.

Greenview Manor was purchased by the city in 2001 and later sold to Mission of Peace National Corporation for $200,000 in 2005.

At that time, the 84-unit complex was worth an estimated $1.1 million. It needed some $700,000 in renovations, which the group had agreed to make.

Under the proposal, Mission of Peace would convert some one-bedroom apartments into two-bedroom units and would join with other organizations to redevelop the surrounding neighborhood.

Once again, due to poor reporting by the Flint Journal. the reader is left with more questions than he received in answers.

Do these 4 "special and powerful" residents have full time jobs and health insurance?

Inappropriate comment? Alert us.
Reply to this comment | Post a new comment
Posted by djfx
October 27, 2009, 9:27AM
Why aren't the complex owners being made to pay for the cost of these moves? Better yet, why are they being let off the hook for the promise of $700,000 in renovations? Wasn't there something in writing with signatures to the effect, or was this just another under-the-table hand shake made possible by the former mayor Con Don?

Posted by justicesearc
October 27, 2009, 9:55AM
How do they justify it - they are the government is how. The rules on how you spend money you did not earn is very different from how you spend hard earned fruits of you labor.

The Mission of Peace is a FAITH based organization that is Flint based and a United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) National Housing Counseling Agency. Could have sworn the word counseling meant you gave advice to people - not homes and moving expenses.

If this was a private company that owned the apartments the government would have forced the landlords to evict the people and to fix the violations. Why does this landlord get special treatment of tax money to move tenants out of a bad building?

I could have sworn that I read government was not supposed to be endorsing religion.

Posted by joshfreeman
October 27, 2009, 10:23AM
That place has been a money pit forever..... We've paid and repaid on that complex.

Posted by michiganmom3
October 27, 2009, 1:53PM
I hear a lot of jealousy on this post. I do not agree that it should take $5000 per person to move them, but I am not aware of how the money was applied. Does anyone know what expenses were covered? I can guarantee that if any one of the persons in this post was offered $5000 to move to a better neighborhood they would jump on the chance. No, I am not one of the four, nor do I know who the four are. I just say, find out what expenses are covered before you voice outrage. Opinions cause violence, facts bring solutions. If the money was spent for unreasonable, silly reasons, that's different. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

As for faith based organizations, at least they are willing to help the needy---government can't do it all on its own. Be glad that faith based organizations are there. How many of the people spouting off, and throwing around angry opinions would be willing to help someone in need--that you didn't know? In regards to counseling, counseling involves more than talking --the YWCA and YMCA are perfect examples. It is time for people to get out of the box called, ungratefulness and selfishness. That will bring about "change you can believe in"!

Posted by shanedr
October 27, 2009, 4:11PM
$20,000 for four residents, that's $5,000 per resident. Even using moving companies, I'd like to know how it will cost so much.

I think City Administrator Eason had best publish the actual costs, including who was paid and how much for this relocation. I'm having trouble justifying even $2000 per resident. Naturally privacy requires he omit the residents names, but it doesn't require nor permit withholding where and how the money is spent.

If the city condemned a house they would not provide any relocation assistance.

Posted by arroyos
October 27, 2009, 4:23PM
Good questions.
So, Kristin Longley, how about some good answers?
Especially about the transaction between the “City” (Taxpayers) and M.O.P. in 2005 wherein MOP AGREED (in writing, I hope) to make $700,000 in improvements. Were those improvements made and the place is now unfit? If they DIDN’T make the improvements, let’s find out why. This sounds like the Action Management Mishmash all over again. (Was the Dicks team involved here?) Let’s have one of the Flint Journal’s Hard-Hitting Investigative Reports get to the bottom of this mess!

Posted by untanglingwebs
November 08, 2009, 10:16PM
HUD on December 19,2005
"On August 24,2000 the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development held a foreclosure sale pertaining to the subject property and asthe highest bidder, the property was deeded to the Secretary. Subsequently, Hud renovated 47 of the 84 units at a cost of $456,699.07 and the property was offered to the City of Flint. On March 16,2001 Greenview Manor was formally sold to the City for $10 by a special Warranty Deed that contained mutually agreed upon stipulations and requirements between HUD and the City."....the Detroit Office is referring this issue to the Chicago Departmental Enforcement Center (DEC) of HUD for resolution.
The purchase price was $ 384,500 or $10 with the City was to provide tenant services as outlined by HUD.
It is my understanding the City did not comply with the purchase agreement and the sale was possibly a violation.
The agreement contained deed restrictions for 15 years as to sale of the property. The agreement specifically contained language relating to the relocation of tenants in situations such as those described.
In other words the City was obligated under their agreement to relocate these residents.
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Communication from HUD to Flint was on Council agenda May 21, 2008
#80553.
On page 2 of 2006 CAPER for City of Flint
Flint had no 2006 HOME funding from HUD but they reprogrammed past years funding to give Greenview Manor $500,000 for the renovation of apartments.
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Windmill Place was torn down and 817 Stevenson is back on the drawing board, this time with a multi million dollar venture for 80 units of veteran housing.
Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: