FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is Johnnie Coleman Flint's Charles Pugh?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Both the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press have withdrawn their endorsements of Charles Pugh, a former tv reporter and consultant, for the Detroit City Council.Both cited reasons about his lack of candor and misstatement of his financial situation. Pugh quit his reporting job and lost his consulting job which put in default on his condo and other financial obligations. However, he told both editorial boards that he was financially stable.
One of the primary roles of a councilperson is fiduciary and how a candidate manages their own finances is a reflection of how they will handle the financesof the city.
Flint Journal reporter Kristin Longley on June 21, 2009 reported on candidates who owed tax obligations.
She had this to say about Coleman:

Former City Councilman and current 3rd Ward candidate Johnnie Coleman, who owed the least at $23.73, said the overdue payment was an oversight on his part and that he paid it last week.

"I'm not making an excuse for it -- it was my mistake," Coleman said, adding that he believes Flint elected officials should own property in the city and take responsibility for it.

"I think (council members) should be held to a higher standard," he said. "We should pay our taxes on time."

Obviously the Flint Journal needs to train their reporters on how to research. The Register of Deeds records show a "certificate of forfeiture" of $24.24 on 6105 Oxley , owned by Colemanbeing recorded on 3/2/09. This may be the property he said he moved into in the first ward when he wanted the appointment to the seat vacated by Buchann. On August 3, 2009 Coleman paid back taxes totalling $286.93. Currently that property shows delinquent taxes of $1,027.57 from 2008 and no payment on 2009 taxes of $869.78.

The City of Flint placed tax liens on those former councilpersons who had received back pay improperly. On 11/26/08 Coleman's tax lien of $16,096.45 was recorded by the Register of Deeds.

Coleman is not delinquent on his third ward property but he has not made his first payment.

coleman has not been very candid about his finances! Fkint is a home rule city. Since Coleman is in "default to the city", does the Home Rule Act bar him from office?
Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:39 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Is not filing campaign finance reports on time also in "default to the city"?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Yes. It is my understanding that Lawler (fifth ward) has not filed his corrected pre-primary report nor his post-primary and pre-general. The campaign finance rules state he must file an affidavit that he has filed all reports and paid all fines.
Noncompliance has consequences.
Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dave
Michigan Campaign Act 388 of 1976 (MCL 169.235)
This section should apply to Lawler5)

If a candidate, treasurer, or other individual designated as responsible for the record keeping, report preparation, or report filing fails to file 2 statements required by this section or section 33 and both of the statements remain unfiled for more than 30 days, that candidate, treasurer, or other designated individual is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both.
Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

who is responsible for making the lawbreaker held accountable? Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Genesee County elecions office must file with the attorney general. Also a campaign finance act complaint can be filed.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The Genesee County elecions office must file with the attorney general. Also a campaign finance act complaint can be filed.

Which will go no where. Campaign Finance laws have no teeth. The problem is that the folks making the laws are the ones that are going to be affected by them... so of course there are no real penalties. The Secretary of State can't even subpoena information when doing an investigation.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I is scary that you and I agree on anything. But you are right about the campaign finance laws having no teeth and public officials that are afraid or unwilling to ensure transparency in our elections. Stealth groups can come in and almost steal elections with no accountability.
When Rob Coffman ran the elections division he actually told some of his Burton friends how to get around the campaign laws.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It is scary that you and I agree on anything. But you are right about the campaign finance laws having no teeth and public officials that are afraid or unwilling to ensure transparency in our elections. Stealth groups can come in and almost steal elections with no accountability.
When Rob Coffman ran the elections division he actually told some of his Burton friends how to get around the campaign laws.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:09 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn. so they can lie, cheat, connive and alter and not even fear any retribution???? no wonder theres not much interest by people who really care about flint and her citizens! Crying or Very sad

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: