FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Why Flint Council needs an ethics policy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ok Untanglingwebs... So what's your point. Isn't it the point of the justice system to make sure people don't break the law. Obviously She did. Punishment was determined... And she has paid for it. Do you think she will do that again? Just because she hasn't met your level of retribution. Which seems to be more of a vendetta than a desire for justice. She was open about it before during and after. Not much intent to be a criminal! Thought she had the green light from the Williamson administration... How much does she have to pay before you'll be happy? Does she need to come to your house and personally apoligise? Come over and give you a hundred bucks? What do you want? Seems to me justice was served, and it will never happen again. Were you there when she announced what she was doing? Did you say anything? Did you get up and say, Hey Ms Poplar. That could be seen as XYZ. You keep trying to point what she did was wrong. That there is no arguement... You keep repeating it and repeating it. But you keep missing the point. SHE HAD APPROVAL to do it. and noone including yourself, Myself, anyone on Council, Or even Mr. Knows everything about the Law Elias12 stood up and said THis is what you are doing and shouldn't be doing that. I know what Glasses I'm Wearing. They sure are the ones that you seem to own.. The ones that give you the hindsite of 20/20. Maybe we need someone like you that knows everything and how to do it AFTER THE FACT!

But I did notice you didn't respond to my comments. That I find it interesting that they never once made a stink about it publically. Only one did and that's because someone else stuck it to him. The State. Short term memory on the reasons why she wouldn't approve the licenses. THat was a campaign promise that the state informed her she wouldn't be able to keep. HOW DO YOU MISS THIS STUFF? It was pretty public.

Elias12 <>< Incompetent isn't the right word. Naive would probably be better, Esp since she had the Blessing of the Administration that it was ok.
I believe she did think it might be questionable.. Thus the reason she went to the City attorney for advise. you are probably right She probably wouldn't have asked it had she not been in the position that she HAD to approve liquor Licenses Whether she liked it or not. She thought she could NOW since she couldn't make good on her campaign promise of not approving them,,, That she could help save face by asking that liquor store owners give back to the community. Damn What a terrible person she is! (sarcasm if you can't figure that out. You seem to have a problem following issues in context of what was going on at the time.

And Hey, I freely admit stupidity in the deal too. I didn't see anything wrong and neither did anyone else until someone complained and Williamson set up the sting. And I do mean SET UP! have your people ok it then burn them for doing it. That's a set up.

You keep repeating the same things over and over and over again. And no matter how many times I put it in context for you.. You miss it. Where were you? When this was going on? Did you speak out or just ride the band wagon of GOTTCHA after it was determined it was illegal. You strike me as an opportunist for negativity. The justice system determined their penalty and it isn’t good enough for you. Then run against her. Then you sit there and wait until someone finds something you did that you shouldn’t have. But please let me know. SO I can hop on that bandwagon. We have much more important things to worry about than whether what happened has met with your complete satisfaction.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Ted, you didn't really think attaching a "contribution' on to a licensing prodedure, a process which should ( I say should because in this city nothing is known by anyone it seems) be written out and set, was wrong? I thought you were a reasonably intelligent person, always seemed like it to me. I don't have "hindsight" I just do have common sense. As far as being "negative" , I am not the "negative' person here, I was being optimistic that the people running the place ( the city of Flint) had some basic understanding of what people in positions of authority could or could not do, I can see I was wrong.I guess we are all supposed to attend every meeting to make sure that those elected to do the job know what the job entails.
Sorry Mr Ted, your buddy Ms Poplar is an scammer.I don't give a rat's ass if the money was for some education fund, it is wrong to solicit funds in the manner Ms Poplar did it in. Not in the context, not in that setting, not being in her position. As far as why I didn't object to this is because when this was going on I was employed, worked 60 hours a week, had a job that I had to keep on top of morning and night. And would my objections have been listened to if I had made them? Never have they been in the past, so why think anyone would start now. As for being an expert in law, I am not a practicing attorney but I had several classes in law while in college, that and I was raised in a family of business people who actually paid real experts to give them advice in areas where they had little experience in and guess what, the folks listened to those they hired to advise them And they actually learned something my folks passed on to me. We should require all people seeking an office to take classes before running for office then, they should have some basic understanding of what is expected of them prior to them possibly getting in office. And if they don't win the office, so what, the classes will make them better informed citizens. We can offer classes pretty cheaply, we can record just one set of classes and then put them up on the city's website , accessible to everyone. We can burn copies of these classes and make them available at the libraries and high schools.
So how is that Mr Ted, I gave criticism and then offered a possible solution for preventing this sort of thing from happening again? Really "negative " of me huh?

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:15 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I have been lurking here for a few weeks, reading stuff. Today I got fired up and had to say something.
We seem to have two sets of standards going on here in flinttown, one set of standards for white leaders and another for black ones. Let me show what I am talking about
1) if the poplars were white they would be expected to know how to act in office, but since they are black everyone makes all excuses for them.

2.) Ted, did you really hear what Jackie wanted to do and think it was fine?
3,) I know people in Flint watch TV alot. I seen shows on TV where the people in shows where this sort of improper things are being done and the script writers make it a point to say it is bad, and most people in Flint watch the same shows I do and if I saw them shows, I'll bet that so have the other people. So no reason to have this debate about who knew what or what is right and wrong, the TV shows can be good things to watch on this stuff.

4) I think I should start writing scripts on this sort of thing , this story would make a great sit com for TV .
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hmmmmm, i'd love to read that elias as it pertains to a councilperson. Cool

heyyyyyy, welcome 1pissed off dude!!! Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

1pissedoffguy Yes I did hear what she said I was there. So was the city attorney, so was the city council it was even on TV,,, I failed and so did they.

It has nothing to do with race. I would have been happier had it been Sandy hill that had done that. But, I sure wouldn't be carrying on about it like a bunch of fools after the State came in did an investigation and handed out a judgement. It's nothing but insult to injury. But there are many people in Flint that this is all they live off of.

Elias12<>< If you've got so much commonsense WHERE WERE YOU when this was all happening? > ? Hmmm? Here it is what almost 4 years later and you've got all the answers! You've got the common sense to have seen it.

And again.. You keep forgetting and never once answering. What is a PAC? What is the difference? The only difference is that when a PAC puts money in your campaign expecting to be rewarded it is a given.

Oh You've been positive? Really? Wow I don't don't kow how I lost that in this conversation? I must have missed it somewhere between the accusations and continuous beating up of someone once they're down. Sorry I missed the positive solution. As to how to prevent it from happening again. I think you're a bit late on that. because after what happened to Ms. Poplar I'm sure any suggestion you have now won't even compare to the example and continous degrading people like those here argueing this 3-4 years after the fact has had on making sure it never happens again.. Not withstanding the fact the State Already made judgement on the matter.

I enjoy a little sarcasim myslef. I even enjoy healthy debate. But I lost the positive of your comments inthere smoewhere. I guess You'll have to point them out.
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Covered where I was there Ted, right in the post. I was working a job with far more accountablity than the city council people seem to have to work under. Had scads of paperwork and things to carry out DAILY. I am smarter than most of the yutzes in city council I guess , that or really stupid because I found out what was required me when I took the job and then committed myself to getting all of that stuff was done. Oh,I also knew about what I had to do when it came to ethics. The advantages of having a working family with things to do other than attending some lame city council meetings all the time. We figure that people should know what and how to act and do things when they are hired before they are hired,silly us.

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

And Ted, if that question about PAC's was directed to me how is it germaine to my saying what Poplar did was unethical? Have you now or ever heard or some me make a defense of PACs? I would say though that the difference would be ( and I disagree with PACs) is simply matter of timing for the Poplar case. Why are you defending her actions? And sorry Ted, if you thought there was nothing wrong with what she did you and the rest of the cast of characters are ignorant of the basic facts of how businesses have to be operated. And here is a basic hint, whatever is expected of a private business, ramp up the expectations for what is required of those in the public sector. Here are some more suggestions,,get a Black's Law Dictionary, go unline and type in "business ethics" ,,then type in "ethics ' on Google. And please,for god's sake, if the lawyer for the city is that stupid, NOBODY SEEK HER OUT FOR ANY LEGAL ADVICE!!

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Do people who break the law get a break all the time if they didn't know was wrong? I heard so many times when I was in junior high that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" . if a person speeds, like this is an example, would they allowed to if the speed limit was set at one speed and they may have gone faster?
Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Elias12 <>< We are in more agreement than you seem to think...
I see no difference between PAC and special interests buying politicians and what she did. Yes for god's sake. Don't go to her for advice, The point of that was she was only following direction of Don Williamson. That is his modis oberendi. (sp)

And are you looking for some type of special recongisition?

I see where you are getting your information. but What the LAW and Ethics says is rarely held up to that standard in Government.

you obviously don't konw how many Public officials get their tickets tossed and never go to court. If you have MOney or are a politician in FLint you can almost get away with Murder. But be the average joe and do the same thing. They will make up anything and everything to get money out of ya.

I never said what She did was right. Everyone involved figured there wasn't a problem since the City Attorney didn't find it to be a problem. It was a setup. I'm sure Ms. Poplar will never do anything like that again. Isn't that the purpose of our justice system. To stop people from breakin the Law? What more justice do you want? That you must keep beating down someone who has paid the price. How much more do they have to give before your content they won't do it again nd have learned their lesson?

Got some ideas Post them under the Thread I started. I'd love to hear them. BUt I can't go for beating up on people that have not only admitted they were wrong but paid Fair and equitable retrobution. Something that RARELY EVER happens in our justice system.
Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:16 am 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Ted,
Sure I am looking for a big dinnner and a plaque and hell, throw in a $25,000.00 per year retaining fee and I will teach the ethics classes for the city officaldom. Hell, that price is cheap when you look at how fast legal bills rack up. Maybe I could teach the city attorney of that time some basic objections to raise.
Ok, Poplar 'paid her debt" let's all hug and make nice.

I do agree with you on PAC's and all that the fact people with money can get away with nearly everything here in Flint, money or the race card. I have heard " we got the best government money can buy" alot in the circles I hung out in. Seems it is not only government but the criminal justice system is up the highest bidder as well.

Having said this though Ted, don't expect me not to be still in awe of the stupidity and arrogance of the elected officals of this town. IF we all get that jaded then we won't see any change at all. Apathy is terrible disease you know. And that is one thing I do respect about you and others on this posting forum, you all seemed to still be able to get riled up. And when a city has people like this, it is never totally hopeless.

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Having said this though Ted, don't expect me not to be still in awe of the stupidity and arrogance of the elected officals of this town. IF we all get that jaded then we won't see any change at all. Apathy is terrible disease you know. And that is one thing I do respect about you and others on this posting forum, you all seemed to still be able to get riled up. And when a city has people like this, it is never totally hopeless

Exactly, I am just looking at the level of knowledge. What happened is definately something a Seasoned Politician would never get caught doing, They would have their own attorney to advise them. Not the City Attorney.

So my point is. Has it changed. I would say yes it changed. It's not going on. And a lot of people learned a lesson on that one. I just think when average people are elected to office. They are going to make mistakes. Since they know this stuff is going on. I mean Pay offs for votes is common practice. It's just done in a beaucratic manner so that it's covered up and becomes leagal. By bringin it into the open doesn't make right.

Now had Ms. Poplar been an Senior elected official with years of experience. Then this came up with or without the city attorney's help. There would be no forgiveness and I'd probably be on the bandwagon. When you look at the percentage of people that even vote or know who their elected officials are. When one of the few that are concerned Run for office and actually win. You've got to expect some mistakes. I'm by far not appathic. but I can be understanding. (Contrary to popular belief). I quite of bit of railing on my TV show from now and then. I'm usually at the events being reported in the Journal. But always seem to have a completely different perspective on what they report and what actually happened.

One of the biggest problems with elected officials is as you said Arrogance. You upset them or point out what they are doing is wrong. They take it out by voting or enacting laws against you. There is no resitution or compromise. You hurt their feelings. So matter how wrong they are or how right you are, if you didn't smooch up to them they aren't going to act. There is not an attitude of Let's do what right and best. It's a What makes me richer or makes me look good. And that even pops into the City council from time to time. Thus I'm low key in any group I work with because as a representative of the group I'd be Hard Charging for what is rght! I am more able to do that on my own or behind the scenes. Those are stories I love to talk about but not write about.

but please, POst your ideas on the thread I started. When I get a bunch I'll present them to council with Copies of all of them.. I've done that before off this site.
Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Ted, I would post my ideas and suggestions, what is the name of the thread ? I couldn't find it , I am sorry I couldn't find it, in this I claim ignorance on how to navigate on this site.

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:59 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: