FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Buchanan replaced
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Darryl Buchanan appointed deputy mayor By Gabe GutierrezFLINT (WJRT) -- (02/04/09)--Flint City Council has approved a new city administrator after Mayor Don Williamson decided to suddenly change the city's No. 2 administrative position.
Council members admit this was a big surprise. Still, they confirmed new City Administrator Mike Brown by a 6-2 vote.
He replaces Darryl Buchanan, who has served as city administrator since Dec. 2007.
"I believe the mayor just wanted to go in a different direction," said Jim Ananich, the City Council's president. "Mike Brown's got well over 20 years of experience in government (and) nonprofits."

Brown says he is "very excited to help take on the city's challenges."
He has worked as executive vice president for the Flint Area Chamber of Commerce since November.
Before that, he ran the United Way in Lansing for six years. Prior to that, he worked for the United Way in Flint.
"I believe that Mr. Buchanan will still be with the city, just in a different position," Ananich said.
Williamson says Buchanan will be "promoted" to the newly-created position of "deputy mayor."
He declined to elaborate on what that job would entail until a news conference that is scheduled for Thursday morning.

(Copyright ©2009 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You've gotta be kidding.....
Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

Where does this position fit into the already unbalanced budget? Was the creation of this position something that the auditor suggested when the audit showed that the city was spending drastically beyond its means? Another example of fiscal irresponsibility on behalf of the city.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

This is just a ploy by Williamson to attempt to garner some support from the East Court Street residents. Williamson has been calling for deep department cuts, especially in the police department due to the gaping financial hole he has created. Instead of cutting the budget in the mayor's office he creates a new position and a new $90,000 a year expenditure. That makes great financial sense.

Buchanan just had his opportunity to lead the city jerked out from under him. The african-american community will be outraged at this snub. If he hoped to gather some steam heading into the recall he just created an undercurrent that will wash him out to sea.

Vote YES to recall Williamson on Tuesday, February 24th.
www.flintmichiganunited.org
Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm 
BrokenBadge
F L I N T O I D

It seems Don has found his replacement. 11:00 news said he has a press conference planned for the morning. Let's hope that he is announcing his resignation. I really don't know what to think of this. Brown seems like a decent person; one that wouldn't mingle with the likes of Don. There is something bigger brewing here because Don knows he is running out of time before the recall. My guess is he will soon bring back a significant amount of police officers just before the election. Where the money is going to come from, who knows, probably the retirement package that was proposed to him several months ago by the police unions. But as for now the biggest and most obvious question is how can the City of Flint afford to pay both Buchanan and Brown? Why would the council approve BOTH positions Question

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 am 
MICU29
F L I N T O I D

MO MONEY MO MONEY.... ...Mayoral Budgeting 101, when you lay off 48 police officers and then vacate another 15 o so police positions, you must fill the vacate City Aministrator Job at 95K and then fill another dep mayor position to compete with the 2 Dep Chiefs, 2 Interime Chiefs and 1 Super Chief
Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 am 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Even if the recall happens, I worry that the City of Flint will not be able to bounce back from the damage that the Mayor has caused to our budget. How could he justify spending an additional $95,000 when he just asked the Police Department to take 10 days without pay. In the last six months it seems that every week I read the paper the Mayor has appointed someone else into a new position. I used to joke around that this Mayor had Dementia but I am starting to wonder now. This is the icing on the cake, I don't even know what to say. Its funny that this was the Mayor's biggest complaint about Stanley. Remember how he cleaned out City Hall of all the appointments. Now look at him, promoting friends faster then the news can print it. I can't wait for Feb 24th. How many appointments does the city charter allow? He has to be over the allowed number.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Hey BrokenBadge Cool avatar. Laughing

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

I am just really, really scratching my head over the whole "Flint City Hall" stuff that has been going on for the last year....with everyone. As an outsider, with following politics as a "hobby", I am utterly amazed...really, I am.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:19 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

5 police chiefs?????....and a super chief???? wha??????????

by the way. with all the lack of service to the public that appears to be going on, i doubt if more than 25 members of the black community will be outraged.... we (they) don't give a hoot what color the mayor is, we (they)
just want city services completed in an efficient manner. Wink Wink

the whole situation is just too bad....i am in a quandry. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Back Again,

Good Point. It amazes me that the Mayor has the most support in the north end. This is the side of town that seems to affected most by the lack of police. I wonder on how much support is real and how much is hype. I think everyone is starting to see through the smoke and mirrors.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Wow.. why the shake up?

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Darryl Buchanan appointed deputy mayor By Gabe GutierrezFLINT (WJRT) -- (02/04/09)--Flint City Council has approved a new city administrator after Mayor Don Williamson decided to suddenly change the city's No. 2 administrative position.
Council members admit this was a big surprise. Still, they confirmed new City Administrator Mike Brown by a 6-2 vote.
He replaces Darryl Buchanan, who has served as city administrator since Dec. 2007.
"I believe the mayor just wanted to go in a different direction," said Jim Ananich, the City Council's president. "Mike Brown's got well over 20 years of experience in government (and) nonprofits."

Brown says he is "very excited to help take on the city's challenges."
He has worked as executive vice president for the Flint Area Chamber of Commerce since November.
Before that, he ran the United Way in Lansing for six years. Prior to that, he worked for the United Way in Flint.
"I believe that Mr. Buchanan will still be with the city, just in a different position," Ananich said.
Williamson says Buchanan will be "promoted" to the newly-created position of "deputy mayor."
He declined to elaborate on what that job would entail until a news conference that is scheduled for Thursday morning.

(Copyright ©2009 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
5 police chiefs?????....and a super chief???? wha??????????

Yeah, too much brass and not enough cops to kick some *ss. Wink
Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:06 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Bah386,

Do we even have an approved budget yet?

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

20% of the City's population uses 90% of the police resources. Seek4truth is right, the could is evaporating and the constituents who have been swayed by half truths and false promises are beginning to see the light.

andi hit the nail on the head. We need more cops kickin' some a** and less "chiefs".(if that's what you need to call the clowns that are there)

Vote YES to recall Williamson on Tuesday, February 24th.

www.flintmichiganunited.org
Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: