FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Please let us know what you find out.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

What do friendship have to do with someone during what is
right?, not a damn thing. Friends & Families is why everything
is screwed up now. I have to agree with Josh concerning the
property values, and like Josh also said crime happens in
the best looking White communities as well.

I have a member in my Community group who got his feelings
stomped on trying to be a one man's voice in the Black neighbor-
hoods, and what was said to him was...Hey you are white how
can you come into our community telling us what to do,and you
do not live here in the inner-city (which is a valid point to under
stand), However a few of us explained that the man will NEVER
understand Black people, but he is honestly trying to get involve
to know, and my Community group honored him yesterday by
giving him the Community Fellowship award.

After receiving the award he made a statement that was very
true, he said that there is a difference between a outsider who
comes into the inner-city trying to takeover, and one who can
contribute by helping.

Like on 2tap's statistic answer list Detroit is # 1, and if the
City of Detroit is so bad...why are the White folks battling
over property, and soon Detroit will become a Bleached City
once again. So my question is, do Whites from the outside
think that they can comeback into a city that they abanded
years before?

The samething there in Flint, but don't think for once that
the political game can be played, and its not the adults
who are suffering the Students are the ones with no future.
So just because Adam is your friend does that make him
the Savior that will rebuild the Flint districts?

I am coming to Flint for a weekend to get a better look at
everything, and meet with a few of my political friends.

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

We've lived in this house since 1968. Since about 1978, ALL of our neighbors have been black. We get along just fine. We go to a meeting of different block clubs every Tuesday, where we're usually the only white people there. Nobody has a problem with that. Who's being racist here?????

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

"Friends & Families is why everything is screwed up now."

Oh really? I thought you told us previously that race was the reason that everything was screwed up. Can you explain to me exactly how friendships and family can screw EVERYTHING up?

"a few of us explained that the man will NEVER understand Black people,"

A few of us? Does that mean that a few of the black members of your community group explained that a white man will NEVER understand black people? Flip-flop your logic you are saying that a black man will NEVER understand a white man. Does that make either man superior or more correct than the other? Are you saying that if a black family moves into a white community and to joins the community group, the white families are justified when they tell the black family, "you will NEVER understand US?"

"Detroit will become a Bleached City once again."

Do you have a problem with white people who decide to move back into Detroit?

"So my question is, do Whites from the outside think that they can comeback into a city that they abanded years before?"

Yes, white people can move back into Detroit, just as they can move out. Black people can also move into or away from Detroit as well. Regardless of race, people have the right to live wherever they want. Do you forget that not all of the people who moved from Detroit were white. Were there no black people who moved from Detroit? Do you have a problem with black people who decide to move back into Detroit?

To answer Dave's question, "who's being racist here?" Suitman is the one who is playing the race card, as usual.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

no comprende de ingles... Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
Hey Adam can you tell me why the old Pierson building was razed while several others like Homedale and Cook are still standing? Thought you may have some insight from your comittee work. (serious question, some of our previous exchanges were kind of smart alecky)

I can only speculate on that. we didn't get in depth on every building. I do know in the past the "mothballing of old buildings was often screwed up. Who was the superintendent when Pierson was torn down?
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:10 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
You asked about per pupil count from sept. to feb.

Here is a portion of the report"

• Comparative Membership Report

Our board packet contains the membership report for January 23. It reports that the student count on that day was 13, 469, exactly the same as it was on September 24 (count day). (In that interval an increase of 136 students was noted in elementary schools, while middle schools noted a loss of 94 students and high schools noted a loss of 442 students.)
You may recall that the Journal reported that the February unaudited count was 13, 495 students. While this it from year to year, there isn’t usually a gain between September and February."

I do not understand these numbers give me a minute to sort.
Peace,
Rap

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:46 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Not only must Flint Community Schools close buildings but it also must liqidate the properties to put cash in the coffers.

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
squash schreef:
Hey Adam can you tell me why the old Pierson building was razed while several others like Homedale and Cook are still standing? Thought you may have some insight from your comittee work. (serious question, some of our previous exchanges were kind of smart alecky)

I can only speculate on that. we didn't get in depth on every building. I do know in the past the "mothballing of old buildings was often screwed up. Who was the superintendent when Pierson was torn down?

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Give them to the land bank. I'm sure they'll do their usual fine job.

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Give them to the land bank. I'm sure they'll do their usual fine job.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, that's their usual fine job of doing nothing.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:27 pm 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
We've lived in this house since 1968. Since about 1978, ALL of our neighbors have been black. We get along just fine. We go to a meeting of different block clubs every Tuesday, where we're usually the only white people there. Nobody has a problem with that. Who's being racist here?????

" Hot Damn " Dave, You go Boy since you (have or had) Black
neighbors and friends. I wish those days was still around to be
able to socialize, and I am a firm believer that every Black man
should have a White friend or visa verse.

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Dorothy pay No attention to the man behind the pin stripe suit.

The future of Flint Community Schools is more than racial.

The Flint urinal is pandering to central alumni to sell papers on sunday. The paper also has a deficit.

The alumni was talking about fixing the outside of the building.

The problems are inside- structurally and with discipline problems.

The Central alumni were told years ago if you want to save the building pay up. Many ideas were floated none came to fruition.

I do not think the admin or the board seeking to be elected has the cojon's to close Central this year.

The board will go into talks and elementary schools in communities will be closed. These community schools would have fed into the secondary schools causing terminal declining enrollment.

The cost to keep Central open will mulitply for another year.

And the Journal will keep selling controversy.

Peace,
RAP

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

I heard on the news this morning that the Lansing Catholic Diocese has made an offer to buy Southwestern Academy. This seems like a perfect out for Linda Thompson. She closes a high school, and it does not have to be Central. This should be interesting. I hope local news outlets keep up with this story.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:00 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Powers has (once again) made an "offer" to buy Southwestern from the district. Remember that this same offer was made a number of years ago. My understanding is that there has been no change in the substance of the offer--which was laughably inadequate then, and still is now. The offer is no where near a fair price.
Southwestern, like Northern and Northwestern, would cost about $10 million to fully upgrade and renovate. (Central would take much more.) Unlike Northern and Northwestern (which were built outside the preexisting physical boundaries of the city), Southwestern is centrally located, and adjacent to interstate highways. It therefore has the most advantageous location of any secondary school in the district, and its layout lends itself very well to a 'school within a school' concept.
I don't believe any serious offer should be rejected out of hand--but this was not a serious offer! ( Notes from a friend )

Right or wrong SW is perceived as the safest secondary school in the district.
The building is in fair shape rather than poor. It is in a good location has adequate space for track and sports. Though has needed upgrades in maintenance. SW has great programs as do some of the other schools.

Milton thought the perception that SW was a better school needed to be changed. So he stopped the Academy status thinking forcing parents to try other schools would work. Many parents voted with their feet others chose to stay and the school was so over crowded with the closing of McKinley that McKinley had to be reopened.
McKinley has had a couple of turbulent years being closed and reopened twice. They were making headway as a k-8 with Cody staff working as a team k-6 that fed into the secondary continued stucture of learning. Once again a program that was beginning to show promise was closed.
Consistancy was thrown out and turbulance brought back. This year McKinley as middle school has had many dangerous incidents.

I would have sent my child to either school before the upheavals of staff and students. (READ PRE-MILTON) Staff need constistancy as much if not More so than students, time to partner programming and build trust to work together.

Selling SW would be the final nail in the coffin for FCS.

We need to rebuild State of the Art education with focused buildings.
Northern would be a great middle school.
SW an Academy focused on college prep.
NW an alternative ed. focused on basic courses and woodshop, small engine and trade school programs, Vocational Ed.
Constuction trade, classes on balancing a checkbook, car repair, robotics.
The layout of NW lends itself to school within a school programs with great sports for track and field.

In the future we could build a new highschool at central site, longfellow site has much ground to build or the former lowell site.

We have opportunities if we think out of the BOX.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:35 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: