FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
squash
F L I N T O I D

I would guess that elementary schools have remained constant and possibly gained a small number of students. As Rap stated in a previous post this is the time that FCS sees a lot of students returning from charter schools after they have been found to be difficult to manage or educate. Rap is 100% right. Chater schools recruit students and are then able to keep the best and brightest, sending the rest right back to us. The playing field is far from level. (and their test scores aren't taht much better) High schools on the other hand are probably seeing their numbers fall due to drop outs and absenteeism.
I've resisted commenting on this thread because I am far from objective. I'll just say that Adam's idea to sell Washington School to a charter corporation is the worst thing I could imagine hearing from a board candidate.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

K-6 has consistently fallen since 1998 the beginning of my numbers. It was projected to rise for 08 through 2012 though.

Don't worry even if I win it would be hard for me to fight your urban blight method we currently use for Flint's schools abandoned buildings.

Perhaps if we go with your plan and bring more blight to the Eastside the killings won't have to be all segregated to the north end. I'm not a fan of urban blight or gangland killings though.

I'd rather have Washington be the one we go with and let some charter try and make it in the Jane St area but since we have all those 100 K salaries to pay I'm not sure Flint could afford to do renovations like charter schools can.

There is a bigger picture to things and I'm not sure we can just sit around and wait 10 years for enrollment to turnaround. We need a drastic turnaround now.

I think children should be the #1 priority. If we fix our horrendous high schools I think parents would eye the Flint district more. If we don't fix the high schools I expect the stellar international academy to continue to burst at the seems and cause Flint to hemorage students.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 pm 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

squash you are right about selling to Charter School corperations.
Its a escape plan to avoid spending money to upgrade the Flint
inner-city schools. In Saginaw, Bay City, and Detroit Charter Schools
is the thing, but how many Students will qualify to attend a Charter
School, and why send a kid to a Charter School when that State $$$
could go towards rebuilding Schools.

Its sad when people support people that don't mean any good for
the Students. Personally, I do not mind the internet attacks because
I am expressing my opinons, but I will say that living in a City which
is the largest School District in the State, and we are suffering far
greater then a small ass City like Flint is suffering.

So like I said many times that Flint is not my hometown, but I
have had some good times in Flint, and I do stop through from
time to time going to Bay City then back to Detroit.

In closing ALL Students everywhere is my concern, and regardless
to being rich, middle class, or poor Education for our Children
must come first.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:05 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a new sheriff in town and he believes charter schools are our future!

Barack Obama and Joe Biden will double funding for the Federal Charter School Program to support the creation of more successful charter schools. The Obama-Biden administration will provide this expanded charter school funding only to states that improve accountability for charter schools, allow for interventions in struggling charter schools and have a clear process for closing down chronically under performing charter schools. Obama and Biden will also prioritize supporting states that help the most successful charter schools to expand to serve more students.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/education/

So I guess more Flint school will be closing, huh?

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
I would guess that elementary schools have remained constant and possibly gained a small number of students. As Rap stated in a previous post this is the time that FCS sees a lot of students returning from charter schools after they have been found to be difficult to manage or educate. Rap is 100% right. Chater schools recruit students and are then able to keep the best and brightest, sending the rest right back to us. The playing field is far from level. (and their test scores aren't taht much better) High schools on the other hand are probably seeing their numbers fall due to drop outs and absenteeism.
I've resisted commenting on this thread because I am far from objective. I'll just say that Adam's idea to sell Washington School to a charter corporation is the worst thing I could imagine hearing from a board candidate.

I just had to repeat this cause someone said I was right!

The majority of per pupil funding from the state relies on the first-fourth friday count in september. The second count day in Februrary brings in a smaller percentage of funding from the state. Look at this as 3/4 funding in sept. and 1/4th for feb to june. NOT Exact but close.

After charters have received 3/4 th of the funding for a child they can send them back to a "home" public school that has to "by law" accept this student.
You will see BOTH public and charter schools kicking students out-suspensions after the February count. This also has an effect on Good students yet kids with poor behavior most-times (are bullying students that are really trying to be good and get good grades) are not kicked out until after the schools have the MONEY. So parents of kids that behave well are left with no other choice but pull their kids out of the scary situation.

I am concerned with the stimulus money for school infrastructure. Somewhere I read Flint Schools asked for money for two new elementary buildings????
I would like to know WHO suggested this to the feds that send the stimulus funds?

We have a plethora of less older elementary buildings. Most are suggested to close because they hold less than 300 students.

What we really need are new secondary buildings. NEW High school or Middle school.

We lose the GREATEST amount of students at the secondary level. Declining enrollment is the Flint school budget deficit.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:36 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I think children should be the #1 priority. If we fix our horrendous high schools I think parents would eye the Flint district more. If we don't fix the high schools I expect the stellar international academy to continue to burst at the seems and cause Flint to hemorage students.

Perhaps a seat on the Sabis board of directors would be more appropriate for you.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

You folks actually believe that the lack of quality schools is reason no one in their right mind would move into the city. Laughing

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:11 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:

quote:

Perhaps a seat on the Sabis board of directors would be more appropriate for you.

Do they run international academy? I like a challenge though. Running a charter school in Flint seems like taking candy from a baby. Restoring Flint and Flint schools is not as mundane a task.

I still think schools should mainly be in the business of running schools and not being a vacant slumlord. We have the land bank for that.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Hey Adam can you tell me why the old Pierson building was razed while several others like Homedale and Cook are still standing? Thought you may have some insight from your comittee work. (serious question, some of our previous exchanges were kind of smart alecky)
Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
You folks actually believe that the lack of quality schools is reason no one in their right mind would move into the city. Laughing

What are you trying to say?
Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ill let this statistic answer that.

Most Dangerous 25:
1 Detroit, MI
2 Atlanta, GA
3 St. Louis, MO
4 Flint, MI
5 Camden, NJ

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:41 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Ill let this statistic answer that.

Most Dangerous 25:
1 Detroit, MI
2 Atlanta, GA
3 St. Louis, MO
4 Flint, MI
5 Camden, NJ

Perhaps... but I've lived in my house for 7 years and never had any issues. My son goes to Potter Elementary and seems to be getting a quality education. I know all of my neighbors (and get this, some of them are even black). I walk my dog late at night in the park at the end of the street and have yet to be mugged or murdered.

Now I am certainly not delusional. I realize that the City has issues. But my mother who lives in lily white Otisville had her truck stolen right out of her driveway. When I was a kid growing up in the Kearsley District I and a group of kids were held up at gun-point at the bus stop. So there are problems everywhere.

Why would a young couple just starting out not want to take advantage of housing prices in the City. My house, if it were a block to the East would sell for $25,000.00 more than I could sell it now. Is the neighborhood across Center Rd any better or safer? Not really.

Flint has a perception problem. There are still great places to live and raise a family in this City. But it seems that over the years it just became habit to bash the community.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flint has a perception problem.

Thats for sure although a lot of it is deserved. The crime stats, the comical one after another city government, empty buildings, empty crack houses, laying off police and fire personel. But then their is Fat ass Mike Moores dumbass movie. We were in Riveria beach Fla right after old lardaasses movie had been making the circuit and the guy in the villa next to us wanted to know where we were from . When I said the Davison area he asked "anywhere near Flint"? When I said east of there he said, is Flint actually as bad as the movie portrayed it. I cant get over those who stick up for that useless piece of crap who did more to damage Flint than all the drivebys combined. As far as a young couple taking advantage of Flints low house prices, well cmon housing prices are a bargain just about anywhere right now and one thing about it those will probably gain some equity for the buyer. Flints on the other hand WeLL??

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:14 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
squash schreef:
Hey Adam can you tell me why the old Pierson building was razed while several others like Homedale and Cook are still standing? Thought you may have some insight from your comittee work. (serious question, some of our previous exchanges were kind of smart alecky)

No#1 reason -we don't have enough money to tear down all the closed buildings that need to be torn down.

The high cost includes asbestos removal.

Different community organizations have submitted proposals to utilize Homedale and Cook. The problem is they do not have the resourses to operate the buildings. for example the old Lowell middle school was leased to Church on the ROC and they ran good programs for a time but ran out of funds. Unpaid heat bills etc. and they were evicted.

I remember when the cost to raze Pierson was approved by the board. The building was repeatedly broken into and prostitution and other activities surrounded the building. It was more than an eyesore but a liability to the community.

Each facilities committee has recommended that if the closed buildings can not be utilized that they be torn down. The cost is substantial and funds are limited. Should we fix a building with children in it or tear down an empty building? Should we fix a boiler so children have heat, fix a roof that is leaking or tear down an unused building that is an eyesore?

Line items for maintenence is a seperate fund than programing for education.
does this answer your question?
Peace,
RAP

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Perception Problem?

Heard from many kids from Central High School today. Many fights, overwhelming chaos. Not sure if police were called...no reports on the news.

Kids said it was crazy!
Was another event swept under the rug?

I didn't get a chance to talk with the kids in depth, but will do so.

Any Central teachers care to enlighten us?

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:28 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: