FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
you know adam i think you'd be a much
needed "spark"to the board of education.

or a blazing inferno. I think our board is dedicated just not very visionary. I think there's a very small margin of error right now as far as any mistakes and communication goes.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

I had an opportunity to glance at the THA report as it pertains to Williams.
I saw the criteria page where they rated Williams the highest.
Energy cost, proximity of children, capacity -rated high. I think they also have a lunchroom and a gymnasium.

I looked at the other THA report with actual cost to bring Williams up to code. Almost 4.2 million -things I mentioned were listed...rerouting building runoff and drainage problems, enclosing classrooms on the south wing of the building, bathrooms. Funny I thought the open classrooms were on the Eastside of the building? Who am I to argue with an architech.

I did not look at materials long enough to see why Washington rated high. That building is as old as many. Has the old style plaster and wood lats thought to be dangerous. Parking lots as bad as McKinley which rated low for that reason. Not handicap accessable in most parts of the building.

I don't meean to downgrade building on the eastside, these are just ones I have been in many times and am familiar with.

They have excellent staff and programs...just talking facilities.

I am concerned with the criteria asking for larger rather than smaller elementary facilities. Schools that had less than 500 student capacity were discounted. Yet the key enrollment projected was 350 students.

Smaller schools were built for overflow when the Older larger elementaries became crowded. They are the newer elementaries if you can call being built in the late 60s newer. They have better light (more sunshine in all areas), bathrooms in classrooms rather than bathrooms down the hall( not giving kids a reason to leave the classroom) newer electricity and phone lines better access to internet and technology. Newer boilers and better air filtration. LESS ASBESTOS.

Our smaller elemetaries are the best facilities in the district.
NOT to mention every educational study in the last 10-15 years shows academically smaller schools are better.

Please tell me the basis for this criteria? 500 student capacity.

I applaud the facilities committee for the many hours of work volunteered on behalf of the children in FCS. Nothing made me more angry than a man that showed up for the first meeting of our citizen's committee and then went on vacation until the last meeting. When he came back he argued with every finding we suggested because he had not gone through the process.

Some of our members met bi-weekly in sub-committees throughout a four month period. Some members of your committee tried to attend every sub-committee meeting sometimes attending 5 meetings a week for how many months? 6 or so.

So I do not mean to discount your work after not participating in the process.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:56 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The main reason for the bigger schools were energy efficiency and room. If I remember right the committee wanted closer to 80% capacity and not 90%to 120%. 90% can be risky.

I'm not an expert on architecture but if Washington does have the plaster than maybe it will have to be closed. One of the things that sucks with Flint schools is the newere schools like Williams were put in neighborhoods and the older schools like Washington were put on main routes so when you close the older schools like Washington and Homedale you leave sesores for everyone to see.

A better option might be for Flint schools to sell Washington to a charter school that could actually make Washignton safe and not be an eyesore but Ira did a good job of keeping this option off the table for the committee. I lost the budget battle (to look at the Flint budget) the battle to look at all the buildings such as Sarvis and admin and the charter battle when I was on the committee partly due to time constraints.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Krsitin Langley from the Flint Journal called me today. I guess in addition to myself, John Topping, Jerome Threllkill, Betty Ramsdell? and David Davenport are running.

Anyone know anything about a Betty Ramsdel?

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Six file to run for Flint Board of Education

FLINT, Michigan --Â As the Flint School District ends another year with school closures and budget cuts, at least two new faces will join the Board of Education.

Six candidates filed to run for three open seats by Tuesday's deadline, according to the City Clerk's Office. Board Vice President Paul Jordan was the only incumbent member to file for re-election, meaning members Raymond Hatter and Tracey Fountain will be replaced after the May 5 election.

Aside from Jordan, candidates David Davenport, Adam Ford, Betty Ramsdell, Jerome Threlkeld and John Topping Jr. are running for the three open four-year slots expiring in 2013.

Davenport, who previously has run unsuccessfully for mayor and school board, and Jordan could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.

Ford, who ran unsuccessfully against Woodrow Stanley for the 34th District state House seat, was on the facilities committee that recently released a report on the state of Flint school buildings. A product of Davison schools, Ford said the school board is OK but needs someone with a vision.

"They're making some minor progress, but they need significant progress," said Ford, 28. "They need someone with communication skills."

Flint native Ramsdell, 68, said she has 44 years experience in education, most of it at Flint's Mott Adult High School. She said she could bring valuable insight to the school board at a very difficult time.

"Overall, this is a very good board and good administration," she said. "I'm not going in with an agenda that what they're doing is wrong and I'm right. I want to work together."

Threlkeld taught math and language arts with the district for a year and a half and now is coordinator of special projects and community partnerships for United Way of Genesee County. Threlkeld, 31, said he's passionate about young people and education.

"I would work with the district and the school board to make the necessary changes," he said. "I believe they're already riding the wave of change and I'm jumping on the wave."

Local attorney Topping, 63, unsuccessfully ran for the school board in 2007 but recently led the finance subcommittee for the facilities committee.

"Now that that's over with, hopefully I'll have a chance to see things through," he said. "It's even more important now than it was last year that the school board do absolutely everything in its power to make sure our kids get a quality education, not only in the context of the buildings but in the quality of teaching and curriculum."
Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:09 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Rap or Adam do you have a Flint School budget in your hot little hand? Could you tell me the bottom line that they have for "training" like teacher/admin/continuing training please?
Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Nevermind...found it...online, didn't search that well...oy.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Betty Ramsdell- wife of Dick Ramsdell (farmers market) both have worked with the Great Schools Committee since their beginning. They interviewed community people in each quadrant of the city pertaining to schools.
They submitted a report to the school board a couple years ago.

Mrs. Ramsdell as a teacher for 44 years will likely get the endorsement from UTF.

In my opinion she may carry the most votes.

Peace,
RAP

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

You said" A better option might be for Flint schools to sell Washington to a charter school that .."

I could not believe that thought even crossed your mind.

Richfield makes about 5 million from mostly eastside kids. Flint schools budget crisis is due to declining enrollment.

Charters can pick and choose which students to keep, bad attendance ect. go back to Flint schools. Flint schools has to acccept Home area students.

Selling a Flint school to a charter is like selling to a competitor who keeps all your best customers.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

So you think it's just the fact that charter schools can be choosy which makes them better? I was thinking poor management dangerous conditions, rundown buildings lack of security etc etc had more to do with it.

If Flint schools can't compete then they should "sell out" to charters. I think they can compete though with proper management. In the meantime sometimes it's better to cut your losses than to destroy more neighborhoods and put more children out on the streets.

I do think children should be the #1 priority though.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

God love you Adam, Yes children are the #1 priority.

What office are you running for...Board Member of Flint Public Schools?

I do not think charter schools are better even when they cherry pick students.

Flint Community Schools have more programs available to students. K-12

FCS has many more experienced teachers in areas of science, math,government and specialized areas that are not available in charters.

Charters are there to make a profit. So they serve mostly k-6.

Transportation, libraries full of books, swimming pools and other Phys Ed, Music and Art programs are not available at most charters. Required classes 9-12 to graduate are not available at most charters, because it would cost to much to offer to a few rather than the many.

Infrastructure- charter buildings are not built to last. I would compare them to straw houses rather than block and cement.

I would rather my girl be in the Sobey building built in the 60's in the event of a tornado rather than at Richfield Academy's stick building.

Obama's stimulus plan originally had money for public school infrastructure but Republicans removed it why????

Are you running for Flint School Board because you care about public school children?

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:28 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Six candidates filed to run for three open seats for the Flint Board of Education.

Paul Jordan -
David Davenport-
Adam Ford-
Betty Ramsdell-
Jerome Threlkeld -
John Topping Jr.-

are running for the three open four-year slots expiring in 2013.

Please fill in the blanks....What do you know about the above candidates?

School closings and budget cuts will soon be announced. Then hold onto your hats, no one cares until their school is on the closing list.

Let's make informed decisions.

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:52 am 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

Rap, Adam is the ONLY person in Davison who has made an attempt
to be a candidate in whatever position in the City of Flint. Adam is
Adam Ford, Rapunzel. Adam made that clear when Kevin was running
as a write in.

This is the inner-cities problem now everyone from the outside
wants or think that they can do better,

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
God love you Adam, Yes children are the #1 priority.

What office are you running for...Board Member of Flint Public Schools?

I do not think charter schools are better even when they cherry pick students.

Flint Community Schools have more programs available to students. K-12

FCS has many more experienced teachers in areas of science, math,government and specialized areas that are not available in charters.

Charters are there to make a profit. So they serve mostly k-6.

Transportation, libraries full of books, swimming pools and other Phys Ed, Music and Art programs are not available at most charters. Required classes 9-12 to graduate are not available at most charters, because it would cost to much to offer to a few rather than the many.

Infrastructure- charter buildings are not built to last. I would compare them to straw houses rather than block and cement.

I would rather my girl be in the Sobey building built in the 60's in the event of a tornado rather than at Richfield Academy's stick building.

Obama's stimulus plan originally had money for public school infrastructure but Republicans removed it why????

Are you running for Flint School Board because you care about public school children?

Peace,
RAP

I thought your child went to a charter school?

Obviously if you think Flint schools are amazing and schools like Central are so much better than the International Academy than you wouldn't want to vote for me. I think Flint schools need drastic and immediate improvement.

With the exception of Ron Paul I by and large don't trust the national Republican leadership. If Ron Paul was running things states could probably fund their own schools instead of letting Washington run them. I'd personally rather have Linda Thompson in charge than Dale Kildee.

I'm running for school board because I think Flint school curretnly suck very badly. I would rate them as in the top 100 worst school systems in the country perhaps even top 10. If you think Flint schools are doing great you would obviously not want to support me.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:19 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Six candidates filed to run for three open seats for the Flint Board of Education.

Paul Jordan -
David Davenport-
Adam Ford-
Betty Ramsdell-
Jerome Threlkeld -
John Topping Jr.-

are running for the three open four-year slots expiring in 2013.

Please fill in the blanks....What do you know about the above candidates?

School closings and budget cuts will soon be announced. Then hold onto your hats, no one cares until their school is on the closing list.

Let's make informed decisions.

Peace,
RAP

I'm the best. Wink Right now I'm leaning towards myself Jerome and Betty. John is very smart and thorough though so I might switch and vote for him over Jerom or Betty. I might be unfairly biased towards Jerome because of his age. Even if Paul looses Linda should have 6 board member to give her a rubber stamp on basically everything. I would probably only support maybe 9/10 things and at least question some expenses like $100K+ salaries.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: