FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

Suburban schools have their problems too, Just not as many hit the news.
Keeping up with the jones causes peer pressure and suicide. Drug use in suburban schools doubles drug use in urban schools.

Urban schools have a higher concentration of Low income families and need a higher concentration of combined resourses- city- state- federal entities.

Peace,
RAP

What are the suburban problems? I thought drug use was about the same in suburban and urban schools although it does make sense that the suburban kids would have more money to buy more drugs and be able to get "utilitarian" "performance enhancing drugs". It does seem to me that white suburban kids don't get the "urban experience" of incarceration though for their drug use.

It seems like Flint should have a lower cost of living for its school employees if they really lived in the district and be able to afford its own additional staff if we didn't have all those $100K club admins.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 am 
KW
F L I N T O I D

I am curious. Why do you believe that the cost of living is cheaper in the city?
Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 am 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Pin-Stripe,
I have visited all areas surrounding all Flint Schools.

You said," I have passed through same of the Black school areas
in Flint (I do not recall their names), but some School hoods is like
the warzones in Viet nam, and yet I am impressed seen many of
the students still entering the buildings trying to get a good
education. Start thinking about how to help these students, and
many need to stop looking down on these bad areas as if they
are GOD, do something to help. "

I have visited some"Black School areas" that are beautiful communities and some poor white communties that are corners of drug houses & prostitution.

Relax on the color of the children!

All children deserve a quality, safe place to have the opportunity of education.

Even the children of prostitutes and crack heads deserve a leg up from the place they began. They may take a little extra effort to unlearn "street protacol" if they have an oasis to learn in.

By providing Safe Havens we can then encourage them to communicate rather than fight for "disrespect'. By giving them reasons to respect their accomplishments and be proud of themselves they have the seed to grow their future.

Suburban schools have their problems too, Just not as many hit the news.
Keeping up with the jones causes peer pressure and suicide. Drug use in suburban schools doubles drug use in urban schools.

Urban schools have a higher concentration of Low income families and need a higher concentration of combined resourses- city- state- federal entities.

Peace,
RAP

Rap, The inner-city and the Suburbs are two different colors.
However, I was NOT down grading the children, but I was
talking about their environment, and lets get real with the
labeling. In White Suburbian most crimes are kept quietly.
Whereas in the Inner-City any kind of criminal act is spreaded
all over the newspapers, and on the Tele-a-Lie-Vision and Radio

Like here in Detroit the News media will break their necks to
rush to a School Board meeting, due to the fact that they
will show Adults arguing, and the concern for the Students
is never heard.

Now in Waterford or Sterling Heights (white Suburb) the news
coverage broadcast the Parents concerns about their Children,
Schools Closing (if any), and other items of interest that would
make their School District look bad.

The STATE WILL NOT RELEASE MONEY to School Districts where
Schools have a low count of Students. When a School District
receive money its going to the City, and the City are the ones
who put the money into the district. Of course the School funds
come from the U.S Dept of Education in Washington, and then
the money is channeled by the region (Chicago) then to the
Michigan Dept of Education in Lansing.

My final thought is if a Parent isn't qualified to raise a children
the only safe haven that I know that might can change a kid
is the Child Protection Service (aka the Foster Care System).

By providing a Safe Haven do you think that we can really
encourage them to communicate rather than fight for bein
disrespected? Whatever would work I do hope that someone
will get it to working soon.

(

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets be honest here to people expect us City folks to live in bad conditions as if we are suppose to tolerate it. Our streets are suppose to be without street lights, our homes boarded up, our schools falling in, our neighborhoods unsafe, our public services half ass etc.

I know so much stuff that happens in my neighorhood that people say " Oh well you live in Flint".. My response " SO WHAT?".

Same goes for Flint Schools, its almost as we as Americans, Flinttoids have accepted our inner city schools can be in deplorable conditions. Its almost as if we are calused enough that we have grown to accept this. I say NO! I say not anymore, I say we need to ALL stand up and demand better from local, county, state and Federal authorities.

Our kids ( once again my rant ) deserve the same buildings, text books, technologies, teachers, lunches, sports, Art, music as our kids in the suburbs. In fact I believe that our inner city kids are having their constitutional rights violated in regards to the two different conditions.

p.s. sorry for the spelling I am using my blackberry.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
KW schreef:
I am curious. Why do you believe that the cost of living is cheaper in the city?

Compared to what it should be I don't think it's a huge difference but Flint does have cheaper housing prices and public transportation. If Flint would ease up on some anti-business restrictions I think we could really gain some competitive advantages over the county state etc..

The numbers really come in when you compare Flint to places like Troy Auburn Hills etc. I think Flint teachers and administrators are paid comparable salaries but their mortgages taxes and even fuel bills should be less. I'm not saying we should cut teacher salaries but I thik 100K is a bit excessive to pay admins.

Things are a little out of whack because things are so decimated in Flint but cities are generally more advantagous over suburban areas.

As an example this is what $100,000 can get you in Davison verses 100,000 in Flint granted the 100,000 does appear to be a good deal even in Flint.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:49 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Pin Stripe,

"I have visited some"Black School areas" that are beautiful communities and some poor white communties that are corners of drug houses & prostitution. "

Both of the above exist within the urban city of Flint and likely urban areas of Detroit.
I do not presume to speak of Detroit as I have not been there recently.

I have been through the north end of Flint and seen good and bad areas.
I have been through the east side of Flint and seen good and bad areas.

Some mixed some predominately white or black yet not suburban.

These children deal with problems most of us as adults could never conceive of.

Example: Child gets picked up from school from foster parent, foster parent tells child they will go to court in am to sign off his mothers custody rights. Then drops him off at a safe haven. Does not take him home to deal with this information...drops him off at a center with many other kids. Child walks in with tears running down his face in front of peers.

Does this young man not have a reason to be angry?

Example: 7 or 8 year old child tells me "you know why I am here today"?
My grandmother is in the hospital and if she dies today I will go to foster care.
Would it matter to you if this child was white, black or mixed? Would you give them the needed HUG regardless? cause words just were worthless not expecting such a heartstopping statement.

With such large problems on little shoulders how can they be expected to focus on math and writing when in school.

How can they not lash out in anger at the smallest thing?

You said...
The STATE WILL NOT RELEASE MONEY to School Districts where
Schools have a low count of Students. When a School District
receive money its going to the City, and the City are the ones
who put the money into the district. Of course the School funds
come from the U.S Dept of Education in Washington, and then
the money is channeled by the region (Chicago) then to the
Michigan Dept of Education in Lansing.

I think low interest state bonds have caveats for increasing enrollment for building improvements but that is a different fund than per pupil funding- operational funds.

Detroit schools were under a state takeover and funds were then funneled through the city. Not up on that situation but that is not the case here YET.
Something about a state appointed committee

Whomever you pray to... please help us if the city is given fiscal control of the Flint School district. AMEN

This would only happen if Flint Schools do not balance their budget which they are required to do by state law by June. causing a state takeover of the school district.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 am 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Lets be honest here to people expect us City folks to live in bad conditions as if we are suppose to tolerate it. Our streets are suppose to be without street lights, our homes boarded up, our schools falling in, our neighborhoods unsafe, our public services half ass etc.

I know so much stuff that happens in my neighorhood that people say " Oh well you live in Flint".. My response " SO WHAT?".

Same goes for Flint Schools, its almost as we as Americans, Flinttoids have accepted our inner city schools can be in deplorable conditions. Its almost as if we are calused enough that we have grown to accept this. I say NO! I say not anymore, I say we need to ALL stand up and demand better from local, county, state and Federal authorities.

Our kids ( once again my rant ) deserve the same buildings, text books, technologies, teachers, lunches, sports, Art, music as our kids in the suburbs. In fact I believe that our inner city kids are having their constitutional rights violated in regards to the two different conditions.

See Ryan, with statements like you just posted is why you are cool
with me. Your post is telling it like it really is. Education is for all skin
-colors, and that is what makes us all equal. Ryan, hopefully when
the weather gets nice the Flint Parents will organize together, and
protest what is taking place in Flint (not in the surrounding areas).

If this was to take place believe me I am willing to drive to Flint
for the protest, due to the fact that I support the move to better
all childrens education, and maybe I can get booked to speak at
a Educational conference, or a meeting to share my past years
experiences in the streets before becoming a Professional person.

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You won't see to many people holding hands and singing Kumbaya in our neck of the woods, unfortunately...

Shukron for the cheerleading. Smile
Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:47 pm 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
You won't see to many people holding hands and singing Kumbaya in our neck of the woods, unfortunately...

Shukron for the cheerleading. Smile

ROTFLMBAO Laughing andi03 maybe its a mens movement to hold
hands, and make plans while singing Kumbaya. Smile

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:04 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I went to the NW meeting today. It was very enlightening. I was able to acertain that at least one if not many school emplyees feel like they are working in poor conditions and schools are mismanaged. I can't be specific because of the "mafia type" nature of Flint's education system. In addition apparenlty the maintanance is too busy or overwhelmed to fix small tiles on the bottom row which gives a poor/"ghetto" appearance to the room.

I think there was about 40 people in attendance.

The real interesting thing occured when people were conversing after the meeting and the guy who I think was the princilple did some hard hitting trash talking as he was trying to rush us out the door. It could have just been that Flint schools are too poor to pay someone to open and close the meetings although the John Windham guy they flew up from St Louis did do an awesome job of facilitating the meetings. Maybe next time they should just have the meetings at the Sarvis where everything is free.

It's too bad I wasn't more on the ball or I would have suggested we open up "free Sarvis Centers" in every neighborhood to my fellow facilities advisory committee members that were not concerned with looking at all facilities as I suggested.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 am 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

[quote=Adam] It could have just been that Flint schools are too poor to pay someone to open and close the meetings although the John Windham guy they flew up from St Louis did do an awesome job of facilitating the meetings[/quote]

Right there is the damn problem flying someone in from outside
of the District, and not only from the outside of the District but the
State. Why we can't handle our own School District business without
using tax payers dollars to fly someone in to do our job?

St Louis Schools isn't exactly operating all that good, and for the Flint
department of Education to be that f**k up to have to hire someone
from the outside is sad. So Flint do not have anyone that could have
facilitated the meeting any better? Adam, do your fellow facilities advisory committee members that were not concerned with looking at all facilities
have money? and whos money did you suggest to use to open up your
free Sarvis centers?

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:45 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

you know adam...we've had our differences but i think you'd be a much
needed "spark"to the board of education....that was good. Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

John Windom is an excellent facilitator. Would guess he would not leave St. Louis for a week in Flint for less than $1000. per day. Estimate. great shoes take big bucks.

Think he is paid for with a grant from one of the Mott foundations for strategic planning.

Still admin did NOT put his great experience to good use. The Mott foundation will not continue to throw money down a well.

FCS needs a bailout BUT Mott Foundation will not fund a failing system if a plan in not followed thru.. example 10 year plan by Dr. Chow. Dr. Chow told Central Alumni basically if they wanted to keep Central how much it would cost. Cost to maintain and refurbish Central and cost to maintain/ upgrade all other schools in the district.

FCS needs a long range plan- parents need to know what to expect.
Parents buy houses or attempt to sell houses on the basis of the quality and safety of the school system in the area.

Someone tells me the school closing plan wil not be rolled out for another month. Yet students are telling me Central will close.
Teachers are telling students this. No one can know until it is brought before the board and the board can vote it up or down and even make a new plan anytime before June.

Rumours are counter productive and will cause more declining enrollment.

Admin needs to roll out the plan and put rumours to rest.

As a parent I am darn tired of committee findings that are gathering dust with as yet NO committment to a long term plan.

as a homeowner the value of my home is a loss because of the poor quality of the public school system.
Non Homestead bond renewal will fail because landlords can NOT rent out homes to parents in a persistantly dangerous school system that fails to make AYP.
empty rental homes can not pay taxes.

I do not care what anyone says SARVIS is not FREE.

Have board meeting in the schools and feed board members school lunches instead of $30. meals at sarvis.

Sick and tired of this Public school system.

Peace,
RAP

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

As a parent I am darn tired of committee findings that are gathering dust with as yet NO committment to a long term plan.

Forming a committee gives the appearance of working on a problem while actually doing nothing.

1. There is a problem.
2. Form a committee to study problem.
3. Committee studies problem and issues report.
4. Report filed away with all other committee reports.
5. Problem solved.

Long term planning = what are we having for lunch at our next meeting?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Believe me I hate to admit it, but its true and it pisses me off! I think we all need to get pissed off and demand better.

quote:
ManinthePinStripeSuit schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

See Ryan, with statements like you just posted is why you are cool
with me. Your post is telling it like it really is. Education is for all skin
-colors, and that is what makes us all equal. Ryan, hopefully when
the weather gets nice the Flint Parents will organize together, and
protest what is taking place in Flint (not in the surrounding areas).

If this was to take place believe me I am willing to drive to Flint
for the protest, due to the fact that I support the move to better
all childrens education, and maybe I can get booked to speak at
a Educational conference, or a meeting to share my past years
experiences in the streets before becoming a Professional person.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: