FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone considered the fact that if Central is closed all the high schools will be on the far West side of the city?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Sorry for the cross post- meant to put in this thread...

FCS admin will roll out the budget plan to Board on March 24 at 6pm. Meeting on March 26th where board members will ask questions of admin and discuss proposal with each other.

It is very interesting that this year they will do this in an open meeting. In previous years they did this in small group meetings (closed door) then unveiled it to the public.

So the public and board will all get first sight of the proposed budget at the same time.(I think this is a good thing less closed door politics)

There may be very limited opportunity for public comment on the 24th and 26th. The first meeting is for us and the board to hear what is being proposed, the second meeting is so the board can discuss it.

I think is is good for the public to hear what the board thinks about the admin proposal before commenting. The board may very well tell admin the plan sucks and go back to the drawing board.

I go to board meetings to hear the board rather than public comments droning on... many not knowing of what they speak.

After the public hears what is proposed and what the board thinks, we will have until June 30th to comment. Even if the board adopts the budget they can make changes up until that time.

I am glad the board chose to do this in a very open manner rather than the back door politics of past boards.

Peace,
RAP

P.S. Central Alumni was told by Chow if you want to save it put up the cash! When Lowell was closed there was no longer an Eastside Middle School. Eastside Middle school students are sent to Mckinley or SW. Academy.

Most eastside parents support SW.

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Historic Central High School, five elementary buildings suggested for closing in Flint School District

FLINT, Michigan -- The Flint School District is proposing closing six schools at the end of this school year, including the historic Central High School.

Others schools that could close at the end of the year are Anderson, Civic Park, Garfield, Merrill and Stewart elementaries.

The schools could be on the chopping block as the district tries to chip away at an estimated $18-$20 million deficit.

Classical Academy would be moved from Central to Southwestern Academy.

The schools that could close were listed in a proposal presented to the Board of Education during a Tuesday meeting. The board has until June 30 to finalize a budget for the 2009-10 school year, and must make a final decision on closings by then.

The proposal also calls for closing Coolidge and Wilkins elementaries in the 2010-11 school year.
Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What will it cost to bus the Central students all the way across town?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

The district has posted last night's Power Point budget presentation on its website. Here is the link to it:
http://flintschools.org/pdfs/PreliminaryBudget-Apr2009.pdf

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I got of the phone with Jim Richardson (Great Schools Initiative)

Their forum is at 6:30pm on Thursday April 16th. Jim said it is open to the public. My interview time is at 6:50. The location is the Flint Public Library Rm B1.

The only other interview I have is the UTF which is private.

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Is he the husband of Jane Richardson, of Salem Housing?

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:39 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
The district has posted last night's Power Point budget presentation on its website. Here is the link to it:
http://flintschools.org/pdfs/PreliminaryBudget-Apr2009.pdf

At the 3 hour + meeting last night Paul brought up how we'll probably only need one high school in a few years and how SWA would make a great middle school so I'm guessing the real main plan may be for a new Flint Central as the key/only high school since the plans are already drawn up and SWA as the main/only middle school.

To be fair though Linda said they don't have a long term plan for them to consider while making immediate decisons but it does sound like Sarvis exempt admin and the admin building will be taken care of.
Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Is he the husband of Jane Richardson, of Salem Housing?

Yes
Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I just got an invitation letter to the League of Women Voters forum for April 20th at Hasselbring Community Center 1002 Home ave at 6pm.
Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Zzzz Zzzz ZZzzz

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Sorry for the cross post- meant to put in this thread...

FCS admin will roll out the budget plan to Board on March 24 at 6pm. Meeting on March 26th where board members will ask questions of admin and discuss proposal with each other.

It is very interesting that this year they will do this in an open meeting. In previous years they did this in small group meetings (closed door) then unveiled it to the public.

So the public and board will all get first sight of the proposed budget at the same time.(I think this is a good thing less closed door politics)

There may be very limited opportunity for public comment on the 24th and 26th. The first meeting is for us and the board to hear what is being proposed, the second meeting is so the board can discuss it.

I think is is good for the public to hear what the board thinks about the admin proposal before commenting. The board may very well tell admin the plan sucks and go back to the drawing board.

I go to board meetings to hear the board rather than public comments droning on... many not knowing of what they speak.

After the public hears what is proposed and what the board thinks, we will have until June 30th to comment. Even if the board adopts the budget they can make changes up until that time.

I am glad the board chose to do this in a very open manner rather than the back door politics of past boards.

Peace,
RAP

P.S. Central Alumni was told by Chow if you want to save it put up the cash! When Lowell was closed there was no longer an Eastside Middle School. Eastside Middle school students are sent to Mckinley or SW. Academy.

Most eastside parents support SW.
Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:33 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Lakewoman sorry to put you to sleep. Knowing some backdoor politics were over.

Dream on girlfriend it won't last long before we have 5-4 poliltics on the board.

Nothing like school closings and elections to change the divisive scope.

As Flint goes so will surrounding communities. Get your rest now your gonna need it.

Think I should take a nap too.
Peace,

RAP

Post Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint Journal endorses admin hacks.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Voters to chose new members of Flint school board

FLINT, Michgian -- The Board of Education is preparing to change the face of the Flint School District for decades to come -- and now voters will soon change the face of the school board.

Six candidates are running for a trio of four-year school board seats, with only one incumbent among their ranks.

Facing a multimillion-dollar deficit and student losses in the thousands, the school board will face difficult decisions. Campaigning for the chance to ponder these tough choices are incumbent Paul Jordan, David Davenport, Adam Ford, Betty Ramsdell, Jerome Threlkeld and John Topping Jr.

The candidates identified several issues, from customer service to budgeting to closing school buildings, that they would like to address. And each of those issues speaks to what many consider the district's overriding challenge: rapidly declining enrollment and the decrease in state funding that accompanies it.

"We're at a very critical crossroads," said Jim Richardson, spokesman for Great Schools Initiative, a grassroots community group. "The biggest challenge is how to continue to provide quality education with shrinking resources."

Flint parent Jennifer Makidon said she put all four of her children through Flint schools over the years and has seen the population shrink. Still, she said she hopes the school board will revisit the plan to close seven elementary schools over the next two years.

"I like the Flint schools, but I wish they would rethink some of their decisions," she said. "Listen to teachers and parents."

Jordan, the board's vice president, was the only incumbent to file for re-election, meaning members Tracey Fountain and Raymond Hatter will be replaced after the election.

Jordan said some of his priorities include growing the district's rainy day fund, learning to effectively operate with shrinking resources, and maintaining stability in the district. Jordan said he led the charge to require the district to author a strategic plan, which it hasn't had since 1989.

Jordan, whose daughters went to Flint schools, said he understands that some parents are uncertain about the district's future, but they should stick with it.

"It is entirely realistic and possible for a parent to get a great education for their kids in the Flint schools," he said, pointing to recent prestigious scholarships won by Flint students. "Their faith in the district and what it has to offer will be rewarded."

Ford, a product of Davison schools, was on the facilities committee that recently released a report on the state of Flint school buildings. Ford said the district's largest challenges are a lack of effective management, living within its means and not being open enough with the community.

What he would tell a parent considering leaving the district?

"As of right now, I don't know if I would send my kids to Flint schools, which is one of the reasons why I ran for the school board," he said. "They're making some improvements, but I don't see them fixing some of our systemic problems."

Flint native Ramsdell said dealing with a shrinking city will be one of the board's largest challenges. She said she has 40-plus years of experience in education, much of it as a high school counselor at Flint's Mott Adult High School, and could bring valuable insight to the board.

Ramsdell, who graduated from the Flint schools and put her children through the system, said she feels the current leadership is turning the district around for the better.

"We have to do more, and we have to pull the community into it," she said. "We have to lift the bar on academics."

Threlkeld, a product of Flint schools, taught math and language arts in the district for a year and a half before joining United Way of Genesee County.

He wants to encourage more parental and community involvement in the district and highlight some of its jewels, such as its scholars and award winners.

He said his main priority would be improving customer service for students and parents in the district.

"Flint schools still think they are the best choice, but are you being the best choice every single day?" he said. "They need to focus on who is the customer and how do you serve them well."

Flint attorney Topping, whose children attended Flint schools, unsuccessfully ran for the school board in 2007 and recently led the finance subcommittee for the facilities committee.

He said right-sizing the district by closing unneeded school buildings will free up revenue and bring stability so it can focus on improving the curriculum.

He said he believes the current administration has its eyes on the prize and the school board is on the right track, but he isn't sure they're making all the right decisions.

"I am encouraged by the efforts that I believe are under way to improve the quality of the school system," he said. "There are going to be some pretty radical changes in the district in the next year -- all for the better."

The Journal was unable to reach Davenport for comment Friday.

He ran unsuccessfully for the school board last year and has been a vocal opponent of the district's new curriculum, which is being written by an outside consultant.

Davenport is a strong advocate of encouraging more mentors in the Flint schools.
Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

No offense to the board, but why do we put the worst people on that board? Why don't we seek out the best of the best?

Herebert Cleves? I like him and pray with him, but come on!

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
Lakewoman sorry to put you to sleep. Knowing some backdoor politics were over.

Dream on girlfriend it won't last long before we have 5-4 poliltics on the board.

Nothing like school closings and elections to change the divisive scope.

As Flint goes so will surrounding communities. Get your rest now your gonna need it.

Think I should take a nap too.
Peace,

RAP
Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:14 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: