FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Facilities Advisory Committee's Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

link
Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:22 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We have too many schools, we need to get rid of those schools so we can get back to good health. Then we can go to the public and they will know tough choices have been made. The public doesn't trust the Flint Board of Education at all.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

That sounded too harsh, the public doesn't support the board not because of maybe the current board, but rather the boards of the past.

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

actually, what has the present board done to address the overwhelming problem besides get journal time for some comment that made no
real difference to anyone anytime? i've not been impressed for quite
some time. Wink Wink
Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

my point exactly, people not happy with flint schools, and don't trust'em!

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:38 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i just don't see the difficulty in closing underused buildings. i think it's
possible some are afraid this would necessitate corrolating lay-offs.
Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:43 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well the hard thing for years has been for school board members to make the decisions that are in the best interests of the children, not their re-election. Parents hate to hear school closings, people hate to hear that the school they went to as a kid will close and be demolished.

quote:
back again schreef:
i just don't see the difficulty in closing underused buildings. i think it's
possible some are afraid this would necessitate corrolating lay-offs.

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:42 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
Thank You for the link and your work on the facilities advisory committee.
Have your opinions changed from start to finish after working on the committee? What did you learn?

What did you thinK of Patrick Ryals Sr? Since working with him, I have met his grandchildren. His grandson can run like the wind, he used to run track came in 1/4 mile in front of other runners. Young man is now interested in football.

Citizen’s committee report-

http://www.flintschools.org/pdfs/FACrpt2008_12.pdf

Here is the link to the citizens' committee report made to the Flint Board of Ed.

I sat on the 2003 Superintendent's School Study Committee "Citizen's Committee" and know how much work and dedication goes into such an endeavor.

Please take the time to read it rather than the Flint Journals spin.

A sincere Thank You goes to Mr. David Caswell who has worked on all 3 Citizen's Committees.

Mr. C was a principal at Cook when that school was closed; I was a parent at Sobey when my child's school was closed. Working on the citizen's committee opened my eyes from a "don't close my school" ideal to a larger picture of the state of the school district as a whole. It was a learning experience with input from those interested in education from all corners of the district. North, South, East, West and Center all brought their insight to the table. I learned much and am forever changed from the process.

I am hoping this committee's work will not gather dust on a shelf.

Peace,
RAP

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:25 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Adam,
Thank You for the link and your work on the facilities advisory committee.
Have your opinions changed from start to finish after working on the committee? What did you learn?

What did you thinK of Patrick Ryals Sr? Since working with him, I have met his grandchildren. His grandson can run like the wind, he used to run track came in 1/4 mile in front of other runners. Young man is now interested in football.

Citizen’s committee report-

http://www.flintschools.org/pdfs/FACrpt2008_12.pdf

Here is the link to the citizens' committee report made to the Flint Board of Ed.

I sat on the 2003 Superintendent's School Study Committee "Citizen's Committee" and know how much work and dedication goes into such an endeavor.

Please take the time to read it rather than the Flint Journals spin.

A sincere Thank You goes to Mr. David Caswell who has worked on all 3 Citizen's Committees.

Mr. C was a principal at Cook when that school was closed; I was a parent at Sobey when my child's school was closed. Working on the citizen's committee opened my eyes from a "don't close my school" ideal to a larger picture of the state of the school district as a whole. It was a learning experience with input from those interested in education from all corners of the district. North, South, East, West and Center all brought their insight to the table. I learned much and am forever changed from the process.

I am hoping this committee's work will not gather dust on a shelf.

Peace,
RAP

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:26 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

My opinions did change. Now I think Flint schools are even more messed up but I think a lot of the problems are solvable.

At the beginning my main priority would have been "saving" Flint Central because I thought that was our only decent high school. I still think educational wise it is a good school. Now I think Flint should prioritize Flint Northwestern as the north end high school and Flint Nothern as the middle school. I think this would help out the north end immensely with less classroom disruption from kids transfering around. The committee generally seemed biased as northern for the High school and Northwestern as the middle school due to 2 lines in the THA report but I helped tie that up because Northwestern seems to have been built better and Northwestern is set up as a traditional high school like most every other high school in the county that has its own stadium.

Patrick is good at getting things straight to the point. I wouldn't have minded having him as the committee chair because Ira Rutherford is very long winded.

Williams school was ranked as the #1 school in Flint as far as facility goes. Everyone on the committee seemed supportive of keeping that school open but I'd rather close that and send East side kids to Washington or somewhere else and keep children away from the prostitution and hardcore blight zone of the East Side.

I am thankful that I attended Davison schools where children are more of a priority. My committee was not interested in looking at non school facilities like the admin building or Sarvis center which I think is corrupt and a little bit shady. In Davison it appears to me that children are more important than the admin building which is basically a trailer. I think the admin could possibly be moved and perhaps leased out and I think part of Sarvis could possibly be leased out as well but my committee wasn't interested in that and the architects were apparently only paid to look at the schools. I also thnk schools should be more important than a downtown meeting building but I was unable to sway the committee.

I'm also a little disappointed at how the process was a little rigged. I don't trust THA and I wish our committee would have been brought in at the beginning of the process and not after the admin already went to THA and told them what they wanted. Since I assume THA would probably be the builder of the new Flnt Central which has already been drawn up they did have a financial incentive to lead us towards demolition and new schools. It would have been nice if I would have had to time to grill THA but we were often short on time.

TA was set on a thing called life expectancy and implied that some buildings could only last a few more years or already needed to be torn down whereas if you go tour Cenral elementary in Davison which was built in I think 1930 you would see that that building might be able to stand another 100 years.

I think my committee was highly objectively biased but when you look at schools like Washington and Williams I think a subjective analysis does need to be done.

Somehow our presentation to the board got screwed up and the lists of elementary schools were not presented at the board meeting so I do feel apologetic about that.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:50 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam, your right in Davison people care about the children and the quality of education they receive. We need to clean up flint schools, cut the schools and the heavy weight at the top of the adminstration.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Why wouldn't the school system look at the old build world headquaters? It was in better shape than single flint community schools building.

why would the schoolsystem look into the great lake tech center? great building mostly empty, GM gave one part of that building to the Gensee County Land Bank for $1.00.

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
My opinions did change. Now I think Flint schools are even more messed up but I think a lot of the problems are solvable.

At the beginning my main priority would have been "saving" Flint Central because I thought that was our only decent high school. I still think educational wise it is a good school. Now I think Flint should prioritize Flint Northwestern as the north end high school and Flint Nothern as the middle school. I think this would help out the north end immensely with less classroom disruption from kids transfering around. The committee generally seemed biased as northern for the High school and Northwestern as the middle school due to 2 lines in the THA report but I helped tie that up because Northwestern seems to have been built better and Northwestern is set up as a traditional high school like most every other high school in the county that has its own stadium.

Patrick is good at getting things straight to the point. I wouldn't have minded having him as the committee chair because Ira Rutherford is very long winded.

Williams school was ranked as the #1 school in Flint as far as facility goes. Everyone on the committee seemed supportive of keeping that school open but I'd rather close that and send East side kids to Washington or somewhere else and keep children away from the prostitution and hardcore blight zone of the East Side.

I am thankful that I attended Davison schools where children are more of a priority. My committee was not interested in looking at non school facilities like the admin building or Sarvis center which I think is corrupt and a little bit shady. In Davison it appears to me that children are more important than the admin building which is basically a trailer. I think the admin could possibly be moved and perhaps leased out and I think part of Sarvis could possibly be leased out as well but my committee wasn't interested in that and the architects were apparently only paid to look at the schools. I also thnk schools should be more important than a downtown meeting building but I was unable to sway the committee.

I'm also a little disappointed at how the process was a little rigged. I don't trust THA and I wish our committee would have been brought in at the beginning of the process and not after the admin already went to THA and told them what they wanted. Since I assume THA would probably be the builder of the new Flnt Central which has already been drawn up they did have a financial incentive to lead us towards demolition and new schools. It would have been nice if I would have had to time to grill THA but we were often short on time.

TA was set on a thing called life expectancy and implied that some buildings could only last a few more years or already needed to be torn down whereas if you go tour Cenral elementary in Davison which was built in I think 1930 you would see that that building might be able to stand another 100 years.

I think my committee was highly objectively biased but when you look at schools like Washington and Williams I think a subjective analysis does need to be done.

Somehow our presentation to the board got screwed up and the lists of elementary schools were not presented at the board meeting so I do feel apologetic about that.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Williams building can't be in good condition?? It was ran by the Edison program for a while and they put NO money into building upkeep!

I also ran the student enrollment #s for secondary building configurations years ago and thought Northern would be excellent for a middle school complex. Great science wing etc.

I also thought Sarvis should No longer be an annex for Pierce. School board meetings should be held in the school auditoriums. School lunches for board members!!SMILE!

Bottom line you can't force parents to send kids to areas where they do not perceive them as safe.

Boardmembers learned that years ago. NW is in great condition but parents will refuse to send their kids there.

Peace,
RAP

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

According to THA Williams is the cheapest school to renovate I think because it is newer and because it is bigger and they go by cost per student. My problem with Williams is it's proximaty to the prostitution/drug dealing infamous Jane st as well as it's graffiti and surroundings. I think Washington would be a better choice so the Eastside can be more inclusive and accomadate parents who don't want their children to go to school and see graffiti and prostitutes.

The committee was biased towards northern being a high school because of one line in the THA report which we never had clarified.

I agree Pierce should be stand alone. I wasn't an expert on Pierce so I wasn't able to question having that on the closure list but reading the comments I think it would be a mistake to close Pierce. It would be nice if th school board would take a look at Sarvis and the admin building. My committee members were not willing to go against Rutherford and consider alternate uses for those buildings. I think you could maybe even put real jobs in the admin and perhaps even Sarvis center and move the bloated admin building to Homedale or Whitter or Central or wherever.

I've heard the complaints about NW's neighborhood but I think we could do it. It you fixed it up, provided adequate security for once and started winning state championships I might even support integration of NW. It's really the only traditional high school we have in Flint and traditional high schools seem t work quite well in the rest of the county where children are more of a priority.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:59 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

is it true whittier has been closed with central coming next? Shocked Shocked
Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:26 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: