FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Obama and Ayers: the Facts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

I spent the last few minutes building a timeline of the association between Barack Obama and Bill Ayers. These are the only facts in the case...everything else is opinion, supposition, or spin:

1944. Bill Ayers born.

1961. Barack Obama born.

1969. Bill Ayers takes a leadership role in the Weather Underground.

1969-1972. Bill Ayers helps plant several bombs. Each bomb is preceded by a warning, resulting in considerable damage, but no deaths.

1973. Three Weather Underground members killed building a bomb. Bill Ayers (not present) goes into hiding with fellow-member Bernardine Dohrn. While in hiding, they are married.

1974-77. Ayers and Dohrn are indicted for conspiracy. Federal charges against both fugitives are dropped due to illegal FBI conduct.

1980. Ayers and Dohrn come out of hiding. Ayers becomes a tenured professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and Dohrn becomes a law professor at Northwestern University.

1993. Obama joins the Woods Fund of Chicago, an anti-poverty foundation.

1995. Ayers and Dohrn hold a "meet-and-greet" in their home for outgoing State Senator Alice Palmer to introduce Barack Obama as her chosen successor.

1997. Obama and Ayers both speak at a University of Chicago panel discussion.

1999. Ayers joins the Woods Fund Board. The board meets 12 times between 1999 and 2002.

2001. Ayers donates $200 to Obama Senate Campaign.

2001. Ayers writes biography, where he admits that he participated in bombings and that he is unrepentant for his actions.

2002. Obama resigns from Woods Fund Board.

2008. Obama responds to a debate question about Ayers: “This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who's a professor of English in Chicago who I know and who I have not received some official endorsement from. He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis. And the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was eight years old, somehow reflects on me and my values doesn't make much sense.”
Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

So in other words, some guy committed crimes when Barack Obama was a pre-teen. The same criminal went on to belong to the same organization as Obama, but then again, so did a lot of people, and nobody is pinning the crimes or accomplishments of those people on each other. Clearly the ad takes liberties and takes facts out of context, but that's not to say the lies won't stick. This is, after all, the party of Lee Atwater, the Willy Horton ad, purple band-aids at the 2004 convention, Karl Rove, and outed CIA agents. The lie won't stand up to scruteny of history, but it doesn't need to. It only has to stick in the minds of television viewers until November.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:05 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, the guy only jaywalked...or shoplifted some bubblegum right?

HE PLOTTED TO BOMB THE F'ING CAPITOL BUILDING AND OTHER GOV'T OFFICES!!!!!!!!(He got off on a technicality or his ass would still be in jail)

ON 9/11/01 he was quoted that "we didn't do enough" referring to the Weather Underground bombings.

He is a left wing radical that voluntarily was photographed stepping on OUR American Flag.

Obama refers to him as "mainstream"

If that's "mainstream" we have a problem.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Nobody disputes what Ayers did, but it is significant that they were done when Barack was eight years old. Nobody has made any substantial links between the two other than that ". . . .mainstream. . ." quote. What's the rest of the quote? Why should anybody take a quote reduced to one word seriously? If every candidate is responsible for the actions of every member of every group he's ever been affilited with, who will be left?
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:06 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Kevin,
This is simply ONE of Obama's very questionable alliances. If YOU were a young man with aspirations of moving up the political ladder would you have had relations of any kind with Ayers and Dorn, given their history? Should he be held accountable for his past actions at all?

Read this series of articles...http://rezkowatch.blogspot.com/2008/04/follow-money-pringle-obama-and-subplots.html

Should Obama have distanced himself from Rezko from the beginning...or was the allure of the money too much to resist? Rezko's money is dirty..and Obama used it to get elected to the Illinois Senate.

Should Obama have stayed in Rev. Wright's church? Or, should he have found more of a mainstream church to join? Or...was the allure of gaining the support of the radical Wright too much to resist?

he will be held accountable for these relationships.....the Democrats should have vetted him long ago..now they are leaving it wide open for the Republican's to expose Obama for what he is.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Birds of a feather. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing What I find amazing is Ayres is still walking around consuming oxygen. whats even more incredible is the piece of dung was made a professor at some Chicago college. Friggin unbelievable.

Last edited by twotap on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:43 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

You couldn't find the rest of the quote, could ya SS? That's because he never said it. The average Presidential candidate comes into contact with and is funded by millions of individuals. I don't think Sen. Obama should be held accountable for anybody's actions other than his own.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

The rest of Obama's political history will come out closer to November...this is just a primer.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to the big league crybaby Barry. Laughing Maybe your puppet master Soros can get you out of this one.

August 26, 2008
Categories: Barack Obama

Obama camp: Prosecute Simmons

Obama general counsel Bob Bauer today sent a second, sharper letter to the Justice Department, directly attacking the Dallas billionaire funding a harsh attack ad, Harold Simmons.

"We reiterate our request that the Department of Justice fulfill its commitment to take prompt action to investigate and to prosecute the American issues Project, and we further request that the Department of Justice investigate and prosecute Howard (sic) Simmons for a knowing and willful violation of the individual aggregate contribution limits," he wrote.

He called the group's activities "patently illegal."

Bauer made the case that Simmons' group fulfilling its a real nonprofit charter because it hasn't spent any money on anything other than attacking Obama.

The American Issues Project released a statement responding to the letter.

"Having failed in its attempts to get our legal, factual and fully-supported ad off the air, Barack Obama's campaign now wants to put our donors in prison for exercising their right to free speech," said Ed Martin, the group's president. "These over-the-top bullying tactics are reminiscent of the kind of censorship one would see in a Stalinist dictatorship, with the only difference being that those guys generally had to wait until they were in power to throw people who disagreed with them into jail."

The group said its ad would continue to air through the end of the Democratic National Convention. Simmons has spent almost $3 million to air the ad, which can be seen on the group's site.

A spokeswoman for the Justice Department, Laura Sweeney, had no comment on the second letter.

It's worth noting that this isn't the first time Bauer has called for criminal investigations and prosecutions into the donors to independent groups critical of Obama, including one supporting John Edwards and another supporting Hillary Rodham Clinton. His words did have the effect of scaring their donors and consultants, but haven't yet appeared to result in any prosecution.

Rick Hasen has some more thoughts on the law, suggesting that Simmons, at worst, will face fines after it's too late to matter.

Laughing
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Find that quote yet SS? Start by looking for further details on that lawsuit TT mentioned, the part he neglects to quote, the part that explains where the quote actually originates. (Hint: not from Barack Obama.)
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:04 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Link
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:11 am 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2008/04/17/fact_check_on_clinton_attacks.php

From Obama's website....FYVM

Certainly goesn't look like Obama has denounced him...about 8 different references as to how great he is....NOW.
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:19 am 
Public D
F L I N T O I D

Link

http://www.hr676.org

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/the_national_health_insurance_bill_hr_676.php
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:27 am 
kryskattan
F L I N T O I D

Last edited by kryskattan on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:42 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

PublicD.....has the government of the United States of America done anything good?
Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: