FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: This must be the change Bracko keeps harping

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

We gonna change the meanin of free speech. Laughing

bama campaign confronts WGN radio
Posted August 27, 2008 11:02 PM

by John McCormick and Steve Schmadeke, updated

DENVER -- Sen. Barack Obama's campaign organized its supporters Wednesday night to confront Tribune-owned WGN-AM in Chicago for having a critic of the Illinois Democrat on its air.

"WGN radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist smears," Obama's campaign wrote in an e-mail to supporters. "He's currently scheduled to spend a solid two-hour block from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers."

Kurtz, a conservative writer, recently wrote an article for the National Review that looked at Obama's ties to Ayers, a former 1960s radical who later emerged as a school reform advocate in Chicago.

The magazine had been blocked in its initial attempts to obtain records from the University of Illinois at Chicago regarding a school reform initiative called the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which Obama chaired and Ayers co-founded.

Obama critics were quick to suggest that political clout could be involved in seeking to protect Obama from embarrassment. The school later reserved its position and made the records available Tuesday.

On Wednesday evening, Obama's campaign urged supporters to call the radio station to complain.

"Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse," the note said.

"It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves," the note continued. "At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies."

Zack Christenson, executive producer of "Extension 720 with Milt Rosenburg," said the response was strong.

"I would say this is the biggest response we've ever got from a campaign or a candidate," he said. "This is really unprecedented with the show, the way that people are flooding the calls and our email boxes."

Christenson said the Obama campaign was asked to have someone appear on the show and declined the request.

"He got into the files just yesterday, so we wanted to have him on to find out what he found. And, if at all possible, we wanted to get the Obama campaign, to get their side of the story," Christenson said. "That's why the uproar is kind of amazing, because we wanted the Obama campaign's take as well."

The show's producer said the calls dropped off after the show's first hour. He did not have a count of calls, but said it was "non-stop."

Obama's campaign has launched similar offensives against stations that have run campaign ads that it did not like.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

The writers of this so-called "story" don't even use grammar correctly.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The writers of this so-called "story" don't even use grammar correctly.

Hey give em a break they are just a product of the lib education system. At least they have their facts straight. Laughing
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 pm 
strattonsigns
F L I N T O I D

Man, I can't wait til he's elected.........they'll be playin..."Back in th USSR"

What are they afraid of? If they are lies......prove it.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:57 pm 
Marko Rollo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
strattonsigns schreef:
What are they afraid of? If they are lies......prove it.

God you're good...a perfectly reasonable argument. "If only Obama would give one or two little facts, I'd be reasonable and this whole thing would go away" you're saying? I doubt it.

The fact is that the little smear today becomes the big lie tomorrow. Willie Horton. Al Gore "inventing" the Internet. Do you want a more recent one?

This is from the article above:

"The magazine had been blocked in its initial attempts to obtain records..." Sounds like a conspiracy doesn't it? Extra kudos for the passive voice to ignore who actually did the blocking.

Now go back and read what happened. Kurtz went to the library and asked the librarian if he could go through the records. She said she'd have to ask the folks who gave the records to the library first. She got permission from the school, and a day later Kurtz got to see the records.

But the damage is done. The conspiracy is proven.

So what does this have to do with the radio program? Kurtz is the only one to have reviewed 10-15 year old documents, and now he's going on the radio to report what he's found. Who can dispute what he says? No one else has looked at the records, so he can blow any Obama spokesperson out of the water. Obama will look guilty by default.

The damage is done. The conspiracy is proven.

Don't worry. The left will soon pull out the link between McCain's millions and the Phoenix mafia led by his father-in-law. But that will be the big conspiracy on the other side, and I'm sure it will be different Wink
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ah yes, Willie Horton that along with the Helmet head shot ended Dukakis"s white house aspirations. Laughing I wonder why Willie did get those weekend passes?

Link
Confused
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:46 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Marko Rollo schreef:

So what does this have to do with the radio program? Kurtz is the only one to have reviewed 10-15 year old documents, and now he's going on the radio to report what he's found. Who can dispute what he says? No one else has looked at the records, so he can blow any Obama spokesperson out of the water. Obama will look guilty by default.

The damage is done. The conspiracy is proven.

The producer of the show called the Obama campaign and invited them to send a representative to be on the show. The person that answered the phine asked for the name of the station manager & hung up. Then, the uproar from the Obama campaign started. They were invited to be on the show and refused.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: