FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ignore the polls, this is why Sen. Barack Obama is going win
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

While polls this early in the game are good at measuring the general mood of the American public as a whole, they are not entirely accurate for several reasons:

1) They don't take into account who is winning individual states. As we all remember from 2000, the popular vote is irrelevant. The Electoral College determines the winner, and Barack Obama has a comfortable lead in important states , and is on track to win several states that have traditionally voted for Republicans.

2) As stated here before, record numbers of previously unregistered voters are going to vote for the first time this year, and most of them are being motivated to register by Barack's historic candidacy, and it is going to help him win states that didn't vote blue since before we started labeling states red and blue.

quote:
...Democratic Sen. Barack Obama has a shot at scoring upsets in three or four states where the freshman senator is heavily focusing most of his resources and where the presidential race appears close: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia. (Washington Times)

3) Did I mention this is going to be an historic election? Come November 4, who do you think is more likely to let a little bit of rain or snow keep them from the polls? Even die-hard Republicans have trouble getting excited about McCain. Have you seen any McCain bumper stickers? I've seen three, compared to hundreds of stickers for Obama. I've seen dozens for Ron Paul, and even quite a few for Hucklebee. (You might have seen a contribution in the Talk Back section stating this...that was me). Republicans are not excited or motivated to vote for McCain. He is to the Republicans what Sen. Kerry was to Democratic Party members in 2004. He is what the party settled for.

On the other hand...how difficult is it to imagine, people not only eagerly anticipating voting for Obama, but making a major event out of it? How many Obama supporters out there plan on taking a picture of the ballot? How many are going to dress up to vote? Surely I can't be the only one. OK, maybe I am, but I'm the geek who ran up to the city clerk the morning the office opened on my 18th birthday to register to vote. (Remember Brian in "The Breakfast Club", who, when asked why he needed a fake ID, responded "Duh...so I can vote !". My friends laughed and pointed at me after that line).

Some on this board are sure to question their motivation, but I can guarantee you, people are going to want documentation of the day they elected the first African-American president of the United States. I do! I'm going to be telling my grandkids about it.

How many Republicans feel that way? When it rains on Election Day, they're going to stay home and catch up on Ti-Vo.

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to take anything for granted. We still have to make sure that we don't have any Katherine Harris style attempts to discourage voting , and any general repeats of the 2000 fiasco. We need to register voters, because statistically speaking, the income groups that traditionally favor Republicans are not the ones who haven't registered yet. If Democratic Party voters continue to work hard, and the system works, we are going to win this year.

Last edited by Kevin McKague on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I think I just read the same crap a minute ago, two posts on the exact same subject???? Jeez try to get your shit together will ya. Laughing Laughing Laughing Plus ya had to edit it,???? ignore the polls, thats the first time I ever heard a lib say that. Baracko is a half black liberal no more no less dont have a friggin orgasm. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:30 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Suck it, TT

I'm used to the regular HTML codes in my own blogs.

Do you have anything constructive to add?
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:57 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[quote]Suck it, TT [/quote
Classy comment assmunch typical lib response. Laughing I thought that was pretty constructive.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:59 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Play nice boys!

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Tyson Foods plant replaces Labor Day as a paid holiday with a Muslim holiday.

http://www.t-g.com/story/1449487.html

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

So boycott chicken.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:10 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

The same polling info widely quoted in the MSM stating the race is a dead heat-nationwide (popular vote) also shows Sen. Obama within inches of the goal line in an electoral college analysis: (Real Clear Politics)

With 270 electoral votes needed to win:

Barack Obama 238

153 Solid 85 Leaning

John McCain 163

91 Solid 72 Leaning

Toss Up 137

137 Toss Up
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

So boycott chicken.

I replaced it with Pork.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
david
F L I N T O I D

so let me get this straight, obamma bin laden now supports drilling for oil? yup, he is for change, you betcha.

mr. magic man is going to change into a republican.

BaHaha Laughing
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

quote:
david schreef:
so let me get this straight, (Sen. Barack Obama) now supports drilling for oil? yup, he is for change, you betcha.

mr. magic man is going to change into a republican.

BaHaha Laughing

It's true, he said that he is willing to compromise on the issue, but only if it is part of a program that lowered non-renewable energy-consumption in the U.S.

(Wall Street Journal)

I think it is a bad idea, but I think its a bit refreshing to see a candidate who is willing to compromise in order to accomplish a larger goal.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:19 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Why is it that 90% or more og african americans are voting for Barack Hussien Obama is okay, but the 60% of white americans voting for John McCain are racists? If 90% of whites voted for John McCain the african americans would say they are racists, however 90% or more african americans can vote for Obama and not be?
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:47 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Nobody here has said that, LakeWoman.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:58 pm 
Opinionated
F L I N T O I D

Great question, LakeWoman50. The reason why 90% or more of African-Americans are voting for Obama is because he is half black. That's it. In a nutshell. No more. They identify with his race, even if they do not agree with his policies and stances on issues. That, by definition, is a racist.

The reason why 60% of white Americans are voting for John McCain is because they think John McCain is the better choice. Period. Which, for one, he is not. Obama is the better choice. Obama is more apt to jump-start our economy better. However, because they are mostly voting for McCain strictly because of his policies - those people are, by definition, not racist.

It's simple really. When will an African-American ever be ballsy enough to stand up and just say the truth - "Okay, yes - he's black. I'm voting for him because of that." It's the obvious elephant in the room.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:05 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Check out...

http://www.electoral-vote.com

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com

These web sites analyze state by state polls and I believe there are others.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: