FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Obama, McCain, and American Indians

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Here's a grin.

Mon., May 19, 2008 7:18 pm EDT

Barack Obama became an honorary member of an American Indian tribe on Monday and promised a proactive policy to help tribal people if he wins the White House in November.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN19168547

John McCain sits on the U.S Senate Indian Affairs Committee.

Excerpts from STATEMENT BY SENATOR MCCAIN ON S. 1200, THE INDIAN HEALTH CARE IMPROVEMENT ACT AMENDMENTS OF 2007. January 22, 2008

"Mr. President, today the Senate is considering S. 1200, the Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA) Amendments of 2007. This bill would reauthorize the IHCIA, the statutory framework for the Indian health system, which covers just about every aspect of Native American health care."
---
"The IHCIA expired in 2000 and Indian tribes and health organizations have been working diligently to see it reauthorized. Seven years ago, a steering committee of Tribal leaders, with extensive consultation by the Indian Health Service, developed a broad consensus in Indian County about what needs to be done to improve and update health services for Indian people. During the 109th Congress, we made significant progress towards passing a reauthorization bill. Unfortunately, the Senate was unable to complete work on that bill before adjourning last Congress."
---
"..there are some key and troubling differences between the bill pending before the Senate and the proposal I put forward at the end of the last Congress, S. 4122. In particular, the new version contains language that would essentially authorize the Indian Health Service to promote “reproductive health and family planning” services. As my colleagues know, I’ve had a longstanding policy against promoting abortion as an acceptable form of birth control, except in cases of rape and incest. I strongly believe that society and government have a legitimate interested in protecting life, born or unborn. Obviously, my thinking on this question applies to the unborn children of patients to the Indian Health Service. I cannot in good conscience support the promotion of abortions at federally funded IHS facilities or any federal facilities. I remain hopeful the bill will be modified to allow me to supports its swift passage."

Source: http://mccain.senate.gov/public/
Accessed: May 19, 2008
Post Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: