FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint dosent look so bad compared to Dalys kingdom.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Daly once again blames guns for his lack of ability to handle the bangers.

Chicago working to prevent repeat of deadly weekend
2008-04-26 08:48:12
By DON BABWIN Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) — Police planned to increase patrols and put SWAT officers and specialized units on the streets over the weekend, a show of force aimed at deterring violence like the three dozen shootings that left nine people dead last weekend.

"Weather permitting, we will have our helicopter up," said police spokeswoman Monique Bond, who said Thursday night was relatively quiet, with only four shootings, none fatal.

Meanwhile, religious leaders said they had persuaded some churches to open their doors in the afternoons and evenings to protect people from gunfire.

"We just picked up about four more churches in Austin (a neighborhood on the city's West Side) that's going to open their doors as a safe haven," said Ira Acree, an activist and pastor of the Greater St. John Bible Church.

On Friday, Mayor Richard Daley took the unusual step of calling together more than two dozen officials from the police department, schools, social service agencies and religious groups for a City Hall summit on the violence. Afterward, he said it was just the start of a continuing dialogue about how to combat violent crime.

A fired-up Daley blasted the gun industry Rolling Eyes and called on parents and adults to do their part by intervening to help troubled youth and by working to keep others on the right path.

"I don't want people to wait for Mayor Daley to call a meeting. I want you to call a meeting in your home with your children and loved ones. I want you to go next door and talk to those children next door. I want the parents of the block to say 'This block will be free of violence,'" he said.

It is key for children to be occupied in after-school or other programs so they stay out of trouble, especially when they're not in a classroom, Daley said.

Before the meeting, some participants talked about possible solutions to end the violence.

The Rev. Bruce Wellems, pastor of Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the city's South Side, suggested that adults need to get to know the young people in their neighborhoods.

"I think they have to step into the community and accompany these kids," he said.

And Tio Hardiman, executive director of CeaseFire, an anti-violence group, said young people need help finding alternatives to the streets.

"We need to go right to the corners and find out what some of these young people want to do, identify some employers that are willing to hire maybe 30 from this neighborhood, 30 from another neighborhood and try to get them hired somewhere so then we can get them off the corners."

But Daley said joblessness does not justify violence.

"When the killing is done, you still don't have a job, in fact, it greatly decreases the chances that you ever ... will have a job," he said.

Hardiman said he expected that violence would not be as bad this weekend because of the police presence and other steps by community groups, including his group's efforts to talk to gang members and mediate disputes. Last weekend, there were 36 shootings — at least 14 of which police believed were gang related.

But he said he's concerned about possible repercussions from a shooting at a McDonald's on Monday night that left one man dead and four others injured.

The area where the shooting took place is believe to be a stronghold of the Gangster Disciples street gang and Hardiman said he's concerned that someone may try to retaliate.

———

Associated Press Writer Deanna Bellandi contributed to this report.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:05 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Flint's murder rate is about 3 times as high as Chicago.

http://flint.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Flint Murders = 45.7 per 100,000 people

http://chicago.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Chicago murders = 16.4 per 100,000 people
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:21 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Your right I just never heard of Flint having 36 shootings in one weekend. Of course that could change at anytime.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

What exactly did he say that "blasted" the gun industry. (i don't see it in this article)
He calls on families to do a better job and increases police presence.

quote:
"When the killing is done, you still don't have a job, in fact, it greatly decreases the chances that you ever ... will have a job," he said.

I don't think conservatives would take issue with this statement.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:15 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe it was when he "blasted the gun industry". Laughing Since he's Barackos mentor and just as antigun maybe they decided to leave his words out since Barcak is trying to convince everyone how "Second ammendment friendly" he is even though his record is just the opposite.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Illinois senator has come out against concealed carry laws, ignoring the data that armed citizens save lives.

April 5, 2008 - by Bob Owens
Support Pajamas Media; Visit Our Advertisers

Though it should hardly come as a surprise considering his past record and rhetoric, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama further cemented his left-wing foundations Wednesday by stating that he is firmly against Americans defending themselves with legally concealed firearms.

An eagle-eyed Amanda Carpenter caught Obama’s admission in Pittsburgh’s Tribune-Review.

“I am not in favor of concealed weapons,” Obama said. “I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could [get shot during] altercations.”

These remarks are consistent with Obama’s past record on guns, where he favors an outright ban on many classes of firearms.

As noted in a previous article for Pajamas Media from February 22, Obama said in the 1998 Illinois State Legislative National Political Awareness Test that he favored a ban on the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons. Semi-automatic weapons are those firearms that are self-loading. They fire once per trigger pull, and use the energy generated by the firing cartridge to eject the empty casing and load the next round. They are not to be confused with fully-automatic weapons — most commonly called machine guns — used by the military and some elite police units, which will fire for as long as the trigger is depressed and the firearm has ammunition.

The semi-automatic firearms Barack Obama would like to see banned include rifles and shotguns commonly used for defense, hunting, and many forms of target shooting. This counters his campaign web site, where Obama claims to respect the Second Amendment. Cleverly worded as befitting a lawyer, Obama’s one-paragraph statement says he respects the rights of hunters. The right of using a firearm in self-defense or the defense of others appears nowhere in his statement.

Obama’s recent remarks against the rights of citizens in states allowing concealed carry are hardly surprising. There are presently 39 states that have “shall issue” concealed carry provisions and nine more that have “may issue” laws. Obama’s home state of Illinois is but one of two states in the nation — the other being Wisconsin — that refuse to allow their citizens to apply for a concealed carry license.

The justification for his dismissal of concealed carry rights — “I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could [get shot during] altercations” — has long been debunked by scientific data, and is based solely on feelings, not logic.

A liberal Democrat, criminologist Garry Kleck set out to prove that the ownership of firearms didn’t decrease crime. In 1993 he published Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, which stated that Americans used guns for self-defense against criminals as often as 2.5 million times a year — 6,850 times a day. Of those uses, the mere presence of a firearm ended the threat of criminal activity.

John Lott’s More Guns, Less Crime studied data compiled from every U.S. county from 1977 to 1994, and concluded that states with “shall issue” concealed carry laws — “shall issue” meaning that governments must issue a permit unless a citizen is disqualified, versus “may issue” states where citizens have to justify why they would need a permit, and “no issue” states where concealed carry is never an option — and discovered that violent crimes steadily decrease in states where citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons.

But what of Senator Obama’s specific assertion that more innocent people could get shot during altercations? If the senator wants to decrease the number of innocent people shot, he should start by taking firearms away from the state.

A commonly cited figure from Newsweek for well over a decade notes that “only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The ‘error rate’ for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high.” Upon reflection, such a figure makes perfect sense.

Civilians in “shall issue” states take intensive formal classes in advance of obtaining a carry permit, and in those classes the majority of the time is spent covering the legal liability, escalation, and justification for the use of deadly force. As a result, permit holders are very careful about deploying their weapons, as simply drawing a firearm when the threat is not warranted could lead to permit revocation and jail time. Far from being trigger-happy, CCH licensees are extremely reserved when compared to the general population.

In those instances where a handgun is used, civilians so rarely shoot innocent victims because they are present for the criminal enterprise, and therefore can easily isolate who the criminals are as the crime is occurring. Police, however, are reactionary in nature and most often show up after a crime has been reported. They arrive at the scene due to second- or third-hand information provided by a dispatcher, and cannot immediately tell criminal actors from innocent victims or bystanders, greatly increasing the possibility of false identification and an erroneous shooting.

Obama has never recognized a right of Americans to use firearms for defense, and has in the past exuded disdain for firearms and their owners. Like so many of his campaign promises, Barack Obama has based his position on concealed carry upon feelings, not readily available facts.

We should hardly be surprised.
Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:35 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Flint's murder rate is about 3 times as high as Chicago.

http://flint.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Flint Murders = 45.7 per 100,000 people

http://chicago.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Chicago murders = 16.4 per 100,000 people

Just think what our murder rate would be if they used the actual population data for Flint and not the federal estimated numbers. Fed 118,256
Actual Less than 110,000 Last good number was in 2005 111,982
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

You contest the federal numbers based on what?
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Based on studies done by University of Flint and ones given to Flint City Council dealing with Flint's actual population.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Oh well, it must be right then, since Flint City Council operates so much better than the census bureau.

Feel the sarcasm?
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:52 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I wonder how Flint would deal with 36 in one weekend??. Their would be shell casings from one end of town to the other.

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Demeralda schreef:
Oh well, it must be right then, since Flint City Council operates so much better than the census bureau.

Feel the sarcasm?

Wow, maybe you are finally getting it. Giving City Council incorrect information in order to base decisions on isn't a very good idea is it? Seriously, this fits your thought process perfectly. There is no truth. If we base these decsions on someones intentions and not on facts. It's not their fault it didn't work.

I didn't say City Council Provided the Numbers. I said they were given to them. Now, I don't know which studies they where. Only that they matched the information i had received from other actual studies. These were not estimates. These were more of a true as possible numbers done by sceintific survey, not a pie in the sky drug induced estimate. That was a lot closer to that of the michigan study and no wheres close the Federal Governments estimations made in 2000.

I think you just like to argue for the sake of arguing. Doesn't matter if you have a clue as to what your talking about.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

I don't know what *I* am talking about? Pfft. Numbers are my life, dude. Research is my livelihood.

Unless someone went around to EVERY SINGLE house in Flint and counted, it's an estimate. Otherwise they call it a CENSUS.

Numbers do often conceal the truth. People seek to make them say what they want. As the saying goes, "there's lies, there's damn lies, and there's statistics."

It takes a discriminating and practiced mind to look through numbers and ascertain "the truth".

I have an education in survey design, data collection and data analysis, including advanced statistics: regression models, discriminant analysis and factoral analysis. Furthermore, I have been practicing my craft for nearly 15 years.

So now I ask, hmm, which one of us knows "the truth"?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:38 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I have an education in survey design, data collection and data analysis, including advanced statistics: regression models, discriminant analysis and factoral analysis. Furthermore, I have been practicing my craft for nearly 15 years.

In other words dont F*** with me. Laughing
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:49 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Great. Now I have a crush on Demeralda.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:02 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Thats OK their is plenty of Demeralda to go around. Wink Laughing Laughing
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next